Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2003, 06:20 PM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
No generalising, please. As one dirtspeck to another: It may be that some of the European countries lost or neglected some traditions around anthems and patriotism that America has kept.
See - we're not the small speck anymore and this is where the European jealousy comes in. This is why there is such an arrogant attitude toward Americans also and superiority complex amongh European countries. I have been at dinner with Europeans, mostly British - who all they did was say hw everything was better there. Then when I went ot England - it was basically the same thing. I loved England - until I went there. I still like it - but I no longer want to live there. A bit too stuffy.
Quote:

And it may be that some Europeans tend to look at American patriotism as overblown and overdramatised. But that does NOT immediatly link up with jealousy.
Sorry if you view it as overblown and overdramatized - maybe it's because it is filtered and editorialized through your media.

I'm not generalizing - I've experienced it as I have said. I would like to know how many people on this board who bithc and moan about the US and about our patriotism have actually been here.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-12-2003 at 06:22 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 06:28 PM   #22
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I have been at dinner with Europeans, mostly British - who all they did was say hw everything was better there. Then when I went ot England - it was basically the same thing. I loved England - until I went there. I still like it - but I no longer want to live there. A bit too stuffy.
You're entitled to your opinion on England - maybe you're right. But as for English/European people saying everything's better where they come from - well, everyone does that! Sometimes you make it your (informative and interesting, btw) mission to show us that everything's better in America. It's natural to love and praise one's home.

And that's basically my opinion on patriotism
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 12-12-2003 at 06:30 PM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 06:47 PM   #23
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
You're entitled to your opinion on England - maybe you're right. But as for English/European people saying everything's better where they come from - well, everyone does that! Sometimes you make it your (informative and interesting, btw) mission to show us that everything's better in America. It's natural to love and praise one's home.

And that's basically my opinion on patriotism
I 100% agree with that. The thing is - I don't put European countries down to feel good about my own - unless the person I am talking to is only wanting to be "anti-American". A lot of Europeans on this board haven't said one good thing about America and even complain about our patriotism. You know what though - I never look at how people feel about their countries. I assume that most people like their countries. That's why I don't see why Gollum's newspaper would say that most Americans have a problem with them wearing their flag and being patriotic. I don't really care, it doesn't affect my life. But it seems as if a lot of people have a negative feeling and opinion about our patriotism and display of love for our country. If people want to nitpik about that - they can. It's like a fringing nosey, resentful neighbor if you ask me. You know - the one who is all snotty when their neighbor brings home a new car. The old neighbor who steals any kids ball that comes on their lawn. That's what it seems is a lot of Europe's attitude toward us.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-12-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:59 PM   #24
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
I was reading the paper a couple of days ago and saw an article that said Americans were getting mad a Canadians who have flags and other things identifying them when they travel. It said that Americans were feeling like we were another country against them. From what ive seen on the moot, al ot of americans are pretty patriotic. just wondering what others think about this.
I have no problems with people being proud about their country/culture and willing to display/show it for others to see.

Some countries/cultures are richer/fuller in history/accomplishments than other countries/cultures.

Sometimes this is known sometimes it is not. (by this I mean that people today are aware of past history/accomplishments. For example: Atlantis: we really know very little about Atlantis (if it exists) but it could have been a very rich culture with many accomplishments)

Somethings in other countries are better than the US some are not.

Two examples that I am familiar with:

I think mass transit (buses & Trains primarily) in Greece is better than the US. (From the perspective of one traveling from town to town without a car.)

I think the US road system is much better than Greece.
The roads in the US are generally wider with more lanes than the roads in Greece.

I think that there are things that can be learned from different cultures/countries to the benefit of all. It just requires an open mind and a willingness to exchange ideas.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 07:00 PM   #25
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Sorry if you view it as overblown and overdramatized - maybe it's because it is filtered and editorialized through your media.
I didn't say I saw it that way, I'm sorry if it came across like that. I was merely saying that (seemingly to me) some people in Europe see the American patriotism as a bit exagerated instead of that they look down on it out of jealousy.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:18 PM   #26
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I didn't say I saw it that way, I'm sorry if it came across like that. I was merely saying that (seemingly to me) some people in Europe see the American patriotism as a bit exagerated instead of that they look down on it out of jealousy.
Okay - I was under the impression that that is how you might have viewed our patriotism.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-12-2003, 08:58 PM   #27
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
I believe England did a far better job of governing those backwater colonies that they ever could do themselves. Look at them now, like India. In the days of Lord Clive and the Honourable East India Company they had the rule of law, stability and civilisation. Now what is India? It has reverted to being a disease-ridden backwater
eesh! are you for real? was that a joke? i mean just reasure me here. are you saying "civilized" countries like britian are filled with much more evolved high minded and intelligent people then rat holes like India and Africa?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:53 PM   #28
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
I never look at how people feel about their countries. I assume that most people like their countries. That's why I don't see why Gollum's newspaper would say that most Americans have a problem with them wearing their flag and being patriotic.
Actually the article was from some american newspaper. Cant really remeber from what state though.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:58 PM   #29
jerseydevil

Quote:
Actually the article was from some american newspaper. Cant really remeber from what state though.
Well it isn't affecting us here, and I don't think the majority of americans really care - unless one of your politicians say "I hate those American bastards" again when she thinks the mic is off. Are you using them to put us down or something? Or is it mostly so you guys don't get the anti-American comments at you and you want to make sure you are not seen as an American?

I'd happily wear an American shirt with the American flag in Europe.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-12-2003 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:10 PM   #30
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Well it isn't affecting us here, and I don't think the majority of americans really care - unless one of your politicians say "I hate those American bastards" again when she thinks the mic is off. Are you using them to put us down or something? Or is it mostly so you guys don't get the anti-American comments at you and you want to make sure you are not seen as an American?
thats what the article said, but i dont know of anyone who would do that. All my friends wore Canadian stuff when we were in Arizona last week and no one cared, in fact many people were waring Roots Canada sweaters (crazy people way to hot for a sweater). I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of that article or something similar

Lemmings

Swron

Old 12-12-2003, 10:30 PM   #31
jerseydevil

Quote:
thats what the article said, but i dont know of anyone who would do that. All my friends wore Canadian stuff when we were in Arizona last week and no one cared, in fact many people were waring Roots Canada sweaters (crazy people way to hot for a sweater). I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of that article or something similar
I have some roots stuff and hanging up on the wall with my calendar is a small stained glass window thing of the Canadian flag I have.

Oh and who was wearing sweaters - your freinds or Arizonians? Because if it was Arizonians - that's becuase for them it is cold. In Southern California - it gets to 60 degrees and they start pulling out jackets.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-12-2003 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:29 AM   #32
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
I have some roots stuff and hanging up on the wall with my calendar is a small stained glass window thing of the Canadian flag I have.

Oh and who was wearing sweaters - your freinds or Arizonians? Because if it was Arizonians - that's becuase for them it is cold. In Southern California - it gets to 60 degrees and they start pulling out jackets.
Arizonians, we were all dieing from the heat and they all come in wearing toques and sweaters and gloves.

Lemmings

Swron

Old 12-13-2003, 12:33 AM   #33
jerseydevil

Quote:
Arizonians, we were all dieing from the heat and they all come in wearing toques and sweaters and gloves.
Yes - it is pretty funny. My sister after living in LA for a couple of years moved to Tennessee and she was FREEZING and it was just fall and it was still warm too.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-13-2003, 12:42 AM   #34
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

my texan realtives were like that this past summer. They came up to see my mom's uncle who recently died of cancer and were freezing when we all thought it was hot.

anywho, we have gone of topic

Lemmings

Swron

Old 12-13-2003, 12:42 AM   #35
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Nope, never heard of it.

I've got a Roots Canada sweatshirt somewhere.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 06:30 AM   #36
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
Extreme patriotism is a uniquely American phenomenon.
Really? One could ask the French, Poles, Dutch, Belgians, etc. what they think about German extreme patriotism.

Or the Poles, Ukranians, Latvians, Estonians, what they think about Russian patriotism.

Or the Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indonesians, what they think about Japanese patriotism.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:24 PM   #37
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
That wasn't patriotism - that was fanatism. Have you been to the US? Have you been to a 4th of July parade? or Fireworks? How can you JUDGE our patriotism and compare it to World War II Germany?
Did I even mention the USA in that post? It was a statement of why >I< think Europeans look down at patriotism (from my experiences, and I live in Europe); it may evolve to other things - like it did in Germany.
Quote:
See - we're not the small speck anymore and this is where the European jealousy comes in. This is why there is such an arrogant attitude toward Americans also and superiority complex amongh European countries. I have been at dinner with Europeans, mostly British - who all they did was say hw everything was better there. Then when I went ot England - it was basically the same thing. I loved England - until I went there. I still like it - but I no longer want to live there. A bit too stuffy.
I can say at once that I do not envy America for their great power. I envy America for their beautiful country, varied nature and many different people. But not for their power. Rather live in a small state (like I do) than in some great powerful nation.

I do not know the feelings of all Europeans, so I cannot say that we Europeans are jealous on the US. They may be, and they may not be.

Last edited by Falagar : 12-18-2003 at 12:32 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:24 PM   #38
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Did I even mention the USA in that post? It was a statement of why >I< think Europeans look down at patriotism (from my experiences, and I live in Europe); it may evolve to other things - like it did in Germany.
When most Europeans talk about patriotism - they are mostly talking about US patriotism. There is a clear resentment from Europe toward our patriotism.
Quote:

I can say at once that I do not envy America for their great power. I envy America for their beautiful country, varied nature and many different people. But not for their power. Rather live in a small state (like I do) than in some great powerful nation.

I do not know the feelings of all Europeans, so I cannot say that we Europeans are jealous on the US. They may be, and they may not be.
From the general attitude from French, Germans and British - this seems to be the case. It may be different with the Scandanavian countries - since they don't share the true "superpower, colonization" history that Britain, France and Germany had.

By the way - I live in a small state too - only 7,836 square miles.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-18-2003, 04:43 PM   #39
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
When most Europeans talk about patriotism - they are mostly talking about US patriotism. There is a clear resentment from Europe toward our patriotism.

From the general attitude from French, Germans and British - this seems to be the case. It may be different with the Scandanavian countries - since they don't share the true "superpower, colonization" history that Britain, France and Germany had.

By the way - I live in a small state too - only 7,836 square miles.
Yeah, but I'm not most Europeans.

Hey, we have been a true superpower! Ask a monk on the coast of Britain 1200 years ago, and you'll see.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:12 PM   #40
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Hey, we have been a true superpower! Ask a monk on the coast of Britain 1200 years ago, and you'll see.
I dunno... superpower? Or Dark Age terrorists???
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote