Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-03-2003, 01:50 AM   #21
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Dont't worry - we all make mistakes. Now would you like to have an anti-Jackson banner, an anti-Arwen banner or the general "Pro-Tolkien" banner?

HMM - gives me an idea for a group avatar movement.
JD i just thought it would be interesting to have a search for fun, you have posted all up 34 times in the LotR books forum (58 if you are counting Silmarillion, Hobbit, LotR and Middle Eart forums) and a massive 929 times in the Lord of the Rings movie forum, now this can be seen in a number of different ways way 1) you care more for the movies than the books
2) you would prefer to discuss the movies over the books
3)movies interest you more than the books
4) your a closet Jacksonist
5) maybe you love the books but youd prefer to argue (theres nothing wrong with that either btw )
i guess it just seemed odd to me that if you hated the movies so much and loved the books so much (because the way it seems around here you have to like one or the other, god forbid we count each seperately on its own merits and like them both ) you would prefer to talk about the books more than the movies...
Quote:
"movie" Tolkienites [tricksy false!]
"book" Tolkienites [the REAL deal].
and is there one for those who like both it just amuses me that you all claim to be so into tolkien yet you post shitall in the lord books forum and a huge amount in the lord movies forum
Old 12-03-2003, 01:51 AM   #22
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Here is something else interesting that was stated in that thread:

GimliBrokeMyNeck,

Who really stands out?
FOTR had Boromir
TT had Gollum
ROTK has ...

I'd say the hobbits
I think you are wrong - I say Aragorn. I don't think jackson really cares about the Hobbits too much really. Yeh - he goes on and on about them - but his movies don't show anything. The Hobbits should have been central in ALL the movies. The books are about Frodo and his quest.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:00 AM   #23
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
I think you are wrong - I say Aragorn. I don't think jackson really cares about the Hobbits too much really. Yeh - he goes on and on about them - but his movies don't show anything. The Hobbits should have been central in ALL the movies. The books are about Frodo and his quest.
Read it again man, the guy was saying that in RotK he thought the hobbits were the biggest characters in it...And I know you can't say one way or the other as you haven't seen the movie yet...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:02 AM   #24
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Read it again man, the guy was saying that in RotK he thought the hobbits were the biggest characters in it...And I know you can't say one way or the other as you haven't seen the movie yet...
That guy is given access for one reason - he's fawning all over jackson and giving good reviews. I don't trust what they say.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-03-2003, 02:25 AM   #25
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
That guy is given access for one reason - he's fawning all over jackson and giving good reviews. I don't trust what they say.
Not everything he said was good. And don't you think it possible that he liked this movie (truly) and wrote what he thought from his own free will? I have yet to make up my mind on that but I am not to the point of distrusting what he says.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:41 AM   #26
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Read the things he wrote, not everything was good. And he is given access for having his SAG card...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:41 AM   #27
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

It is sad with all the omissions, I hope much of it will be in the EE. I'm also worried about the Frodo/Sam thing, it seems so totally ooc for Frodo, but I will watch the movie first and see how it turns out before I start criticising it.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:56 AM   #28
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I agree with you, Artanis. I'll wait and see what it's like for myself. I don't mind omissions or changes to the storyline as long as the essence is captured. This worked in FOTR, didn't in TTT and ROTK sounds awful. If it's as bad as that review sounds, you can use my tater sack to tie PJ up in before chucking him in the river.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:44 AM   #29
justaregularguy
Sapling

As a newbie, will someone help me, please, with these two questions:

1. Why do the same people, time and time again, feel such a need to repeat the same tired negativity, on the same topics, in virtually the same words? (Is there some pleasure to it I'm missing)?

2. Here's what Tolkien said about his own books:

Quote:
"The most critical reader of all, myself, now finds many defects, minor and major, but being unfortunately under no obligation either to review the book or to write it again, he will pass over these in silence, except one that has been noted by others: the book is too short." (LoTR I, 9-10)
Is it possible some of the negativity-mongers could emulate this with the movie?

To me, Jackson improved on several aspects of Tolkien's writing, most importantly, putting the Aragorn-Arwen love story in the main movie where it belongs and providing a more balanced and ultimately human rendering of certain characters who, as much as I've always loved the books, I continue to find defectively one-dimensional.

Everyone has a right to his or her opinion. I'm not suggesting that be taken away or externally censored in any way. Thanks for listening and if you have the answers, please let me know.

Don Juan - Tales of Power
justaregularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:14 AM   #30
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Well said, justaregularguy. At a time when excitement is building for one of the biggest LOTR events of all time, I too am surprised to read so much of the same tired old negativity.

Let's see how the entire film trilogy plays out (theatrical AND EE) before we jump to conclusions. I recall scratching my head when I heard Viggo Mortenson was cast as Aragorn and again when I read a spoiler for FOTR that said Boromir has a moment with the ring. But once I saw the film, it all made perfect sense.

Jackson has shown himself to be a great director and a true Tolkien fan. He has certainly earned the benefit of any doubts we may have going into the ROTK. I continue to maintain it will be one of the most incredible viewing experiences LOTR fans will ever experience in a movie theatre.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:17 AM   #31
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Hello and welcome

I agree that the story needed to be rewritten for the screen, and that some of the changes were for the better.

The Flight to the Ford scene is a great example of this. Cutting out Glorfindel and boosting Arwen's role was fine in itself, but I felt that the breathless drama of the chase was lost in exchange for some rather "Scooby-doo" style Nazgul pawing at Frodo, and Frodo's character was weakened.

So, in this example it was fine to make changes, I just don't think they were particularly well directed.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:53 AM   #32
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by justaregularguy
To me, Jackson improved on several aspects of Tolkien's writing, most importantly, putting the Aragorn-Arwen love story in the main movie where it belongs and providing a more balanced and ultimately human rendering of certain characters who, as much as I've always loved the books, I continue to find defectively one-dimensional.
The love story didn't improve Tolkien's writing--it enhanced one of the elements of the story (the only major addition I like, even though it is overblown).
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:53 PM   #33
justaregularguy
Sapling

Fair point about the difference between improving writing versus enhancing an element, and well taken, thanks.

Don Juan - Tales of Power
justaregularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:26 PM   #34
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Either way, I am sure I will enjoy the movie for what it is regardless...
i agree, and with everyone else above who's willing to give it a chance
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 PM   #35
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I'm willing to give the ROTK a chance. In fact -- and I'm sure everybody else here does as well -- I want to love the ROTK. I want it to be my favourite movie; I want to watch it again and again and love it more each time.

But when PJ films cheesy scenes and changes characters that I've loved for years, I think I'm allowed to vent my anger.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #36
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Of course I'll see it - at 12:01am. But the only reason why is because IT'S LORD OF THE RINGS!!

I can't help it - it has Lord of the Rings in the title. They're my favorite books and no matter how much I try - I can't help myself. I wish the studio realized that one of the reasons the movies aree doing so well is because of the fans of the books. Even though I think they are dumbed down action movies - I still want to like them. I wanted so badly to like them. But sadly I don't. It is solely the name that draws me to the theater.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 12:21 AM   #37
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

the films are not total, trash, but oh my god if you say "Jackson actually improved Tolkien" again, all heck is gonna break loose...

[Welcome to the Moot. Do a search on "Improve" and find a well-fleshed-out thread on just that subject.]

In my opinion, Boyens and Jackson detracted from a story which needed no dumbing down whatsoever. Jackson underestimated the ability of audiences to understand Tolkien's original story, or even the possibility an audience would be rivited by it. This underestimation of not only the audience, but of Tolkien himself, indicates overwhelming hubris on the part of Jackson and Co. which has no basis in reality. He had no business whatsoever to CHANGE the story. He had every right to make at least a DECENTLY accurate version of the original books.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:31 AM   #38
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
the films are not total, trash, but oh my god if you say "Jackson actually improved Tolkien" again, all heck is gonna break loose...

[Welcome to the Moot. Do a search on "Improve" and find a well-fleshed-out thread on just that subject.]

In my opinion, Boyens and Jackson detracted from a story which needed no dumbing down whatsoever. Jackson underestimated the ability of audiences to understand Tolkien's original story, or even the possibility an audience would be rivited by it. This underestimation of not only the audience, but of Tolkien himself, indicates overwhelming hubris on the part of Jackson and Co. which has no basis in reality. He had no business whatsoever to CHANGE the story. He had every right to make at least a DECENTLY accurate version of the original books.
Damn Bropous - I never thought I'd say this "You sound like me"

I'm not tryign to rub it in or anything. It's just odd after all the arguments between you and I - with me saying all these same things to you - that you come back after a long absense and have made a 180 degree turn. Although I did notice a change of heart in some of your posts after TT came out too. Just not this strongly of a change.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-05-2003 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #39
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a sneaking suspiscion that 'justaregularguy' is a fake alternate login for BB?

I mean, here's someone who's posted something like three posts per month, and always seems to post in support of BB, who will quickly agree with him, and then fades back into obscurity.

Granted, it could just be that he's someone with weak critical faculties who's unimaginative enough to simply regurgitate things he's read BB say. Maybe a trained monkey? ]:-D
Old 12-05-2003, 12:40 AM   #40
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Is it just me, or does anyone else have a sneaking suspiscion that 'justaregularguy' is a fake alternate login for BB?

I mean, here's someone who's posted something like three posts per month, and always seems to post in support of BB, who will quickly agree with him, and then fades back into obscurity.

Granted, it could just be that he's someone with weak critical faculties who's unimaginative enough to simply regurgitate things he's read BB say. Maybe a trained monkey? ]:-D
There have been a lot of little BB's. There was Thranduil, Gen-X, Cassius. They all claimed not to be. I haven't seen them on in a while though.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide