Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2003, 12:49 PM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

It started pouring aroudn 3 or 4'o clock. Now it's sunny and just vrey breezy.

I'm just glad it wasn't very bad here - it was only a category 1 or 2 and pretty much as soon as it hit land it went to tropical storm status - so it was a nothing hurricane. If it had hit as a category 5 - that would have been very bad. As hurricanes go - this one was nothing.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:17 PM   #22
Bridgette
Enting

Where supposed to get 5cm (2 and a 1/2 inches, if I got my measurments right) inches of rain an hour for 4 hours here. Our basements probably flooded already. But it doens't look that bad at all (the tree's are hardly shaking!), so I doubt it will.

Last edited by Bridgette : 09-19-2003 at 01:19 PM.
Bridgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #23
Ruinel
Banned

it might have pushed some cool air far down south because it was so cool and pleasant last night I slept with the windows open.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 02:19 PM   #24
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

well we are in the aftermath stages here. I lost power Thursday night and they are saying it will be at LEAST a week till its back up. what a pain!! im at work now even though I didnt have to be but its boring sitting on my butt in the dark at home. There was some damage (Im in Maryland near DC by the way) but nothing out of hand. theres debree all over the place and some trees down here and there but its not total chaos even with major traffic signals out. saw one tree that took out about 5 telephone poles in my neighborhood though. and with no electricity all you can hear all day is the lovely sound of chain saws in the distance.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 03:48 PM   #25
nessa
Enting

Hello everyone and glad to see you're all safe! Insiduous Rex sounded quite hairy there for a while!

As to reporting in the UK. We are fascinated by the weather, even other countries! So, you can imagine how it was reported!
Old 09-19-2003, 11:08 PM   #26
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by nessa
Insiduous Rex sounded quite hairy there for a while!
not to worry. Ive managed to find an old disposable razor and take care of that.

Old 09-19-2003, 11:12 PM   #27
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Well, last night it poured for a bit in the early hours and I guess the wind was fast, but like JD said - all today it was SO SUNNY

It was like being in Florida - so hot and humid and breezy the whole day. The whole day it only rained for like 5 minutes in the evening.

NJ wasn't hit hard. Yay.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:24 AM   #28
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
well..here it got very winday at about midnight on friday (well..thursday night) and was raining at night.,,then in the morning when i was waiting for the bus..its was windy but dry and as soon as i got on the bus it started to pour....

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 08:56 PM   #29
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Well, we finally got power back tonight. No big tree falls for us so we were lucky that way. Big storms are fun to watch, from a safe place, that is.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:26 AM   #30
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
As hurricanes go - this one was nothing.
It may be nothing to you, but it managed to kill 20 odd people or so, so I would consider that to be pretty bad.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:33 AM   #31
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
It may be nothing to you, but it managed to kill 20 odd people or so, so I would consider that to be pretty bad.
I agree the loss of life of 20 people is bad but as I said - AS Hurricanes goes - It was NOTHING.

This was a category 2 hurricane - it was supposed to be a category 4 or 5 when it hit land fall. If you think 20 people is bad - can you imagine what the situation would have been like as a category 5. Don't twist my words and act like I don't care about the deaths of these people - I'm frankly get sick of it.

By the way - NJ had one person die and my couisn who lives in Virginia - who I had just gone to North Carolina for her wedding - could have been killed. As I said - don't act like I don't care about the people who died - I was just pointing out how much worse it could have been.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-22-2003 at 02:36 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:59 PM   #32
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Top Five things I learned thanks to Isabel

5. We can not control weather. All we can do is hunker down and hope for the best. Nothing like a hurricane (or an earth quake or a tornado etc.) to make you realize you aren’t nearly as powerful as you thought you were. We are very small.
4. Never place a bottle of beer directly on dry ice. Unless you want a beer slush bomb.
3. People take light for granted.
2. Maybe it doesn’t do much in the woods but when a tree falls on a house it makes a LOT of noise.
1. It sucks to work for the power company when a hurricane has just come through. Everyone hates you, you work 18 hours straight for days in a row and a few of your buddies get electrocuted to death and people just complain that they cant watch their tv.

Old 09-23-2003, 05:06 PM   #33
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

and...

Keep an old refrigerator in the basement and never defrost it. You'll have an ice box for days.

Ice cream isn't such a treat when you try to eat a half gallon all at once.

It really doesn't matter if you don't read your email for days.

Peace and quiet are really all they are cracked up to be (except those generators)

No matter how many blizzards or hurricanes come along there are always more trees ready to fall on power lines. (shouldn't the weak ones be weeded out, at least for this year?)
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:15 PM   #34
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

i agree with Cirdan. at least some of the weaker branches fell down sooner than later. and on top of that a bunch of leaves were blown off the trees, so it kinda made it look more like fall than the end of summer.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:53 PM   #35
Ruinel
Banned

I agree, the broken trees should be culled. I suppose the city will send someone around to do that. I don't know.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:35 AM   #36
nessa
Enting

I hear that there's another hurricaine, Jules, heading towards Nova Scotia? Not sure what the predicted strength is yet? So, as before, be careful!