Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 04:30 AM   #21
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

crickhollow:

I'd like to note that the word I used was unreasonable. Stupid implies scorn, which was not intended. Also, I'm not addressing a specific (or hypothetical) person, rather the act of boycotting both France and Germany.

People have a constitutional right to free press, a right which I am not trying to suppress. I am merely expressing the opinion that such a boycott lacks feasibility.

Hopefully the actual article will be posted soon.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:31 AM   #22
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Boycotting isn't stupid-but boycotting Germany and France for opposing this U.S policy is pretty stupid. Boycotting China makes some sense, but only some, as it is as hard on the workers as on the government, and I believe prosperity ultimately brings democracy. That's why I don't support the Cuban embargo.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:33 AM   #23
Millane
The Dude

its just history repeating itself.. the same thing was proposed at the end of WW1 to stop the Germans from earning money (which they would be paying back to the Allies anyway )...
i wouldnt do it just because they arent supporting America but id prefer to buy Aust stuff over French stuff anyway
Old 03-30-2003, 05:43 AM   #24
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
its just history repeating itself.. the same thing was proposed at the end of WW1 to stop the Germans from earning money (which they would be paying back to the Allies anyway )...
Why did they suggest it? As if the Germans could earn any money, what with having to pay 6,000 million pounds in reparations.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:18 AM   #25
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Oi'm roight smart, Oi am!

Lol! I think I'll boycott balloon bending clowns!

Last edited by Lizra : 03-30-2003 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:10 PM   #26
support_your_local_elf
Enting

Location: Being one of the two lost souls swimmin in a fish bowl, year after year, runnin over the same old ground.. What have we found? The same old fears..wish you were here...
My opinoin (sp? It's early in the morning) on this would be that I guess if you want to boycott, you can boycott. And like if you want to protest, you can protest (well, that's what the Constit. says, but what happens: people get arrested). If people get arrested for protesting, why not boycotting? Sure, it's your free will, but it's not your government. But yet America (grr is very mad at the so great country we live in it's suposed to be the FREE country. Anyone but me see somethiing wrong with this picture?
-Phil Ochs

The fat hobbit KNOWS!!!
Old 03-30-2003, 12:36 PM   #27
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Quote:
just let the ppl who want to boycott, boycott! the ppl who still want to use the imports goahgead and use them ( that one will b me(( do i luv FRENCH fries )
Me too! So pass them over to the Yukon!
I travel to Ontario 1 a year to get fries!
I loooove them all we eat here is blubber and fish!
The odd other thing because we barter (trade with other provinces/territories and Countries!)

As for u Syle your answer was magnificent and I couldn't of said it better myself!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Old 03-30-2003, 01:49 PM   #28
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by support_your_local_elf
My opinoin (sp? It's early in the morning) on this would be that I guess if you want to boycott, you can boycott. And like if you want to protest, you can protest (well, that's what the Constit. says, but what happens: people get arrested). If people get arrested for protesting, why not boycotting? Sure, it's your free will, but it's not your government. But yet America (grr is very mad at the so great country we live in it's suposed to be the FREE country. Anyone but me see somethiing wrong with this picture?
No, I don't really. You do live in a free country. So people get arrested for protesting - at least they don't get shot. There are many countries in the world with a lot less freedom than America, and it might be more helpful to complain on their behalf, don't you think?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:14 PM   #29
support_your_local_elf
Enting

Location: Being one of the two lost souls swimmin in a fish bowl, year after year, runnin over the same old ground.. What have we found? The same old fears..wish you were here...
Yes, I know there are countries with a lot of less freedom then us. I wouldn't mind if Americans weren't so arrogant! Most Americans do think they're the best of all people. Bush if a fine example.
-Phil Ochs

The fat hobbit KNOWS!!!
Old 03-30-2003, 07:35 PM   #30
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by support_your_local_elf
Yes, I know there are countries with a lot of less freedom then us. I wouldn't mind if Americans weren't so arrogant! Most Americans do think they're the best of all people. Bush if a fine example.
Aren't we? I wonder how many people outside the US you've talked to if you think we're the only arrogant ones. I personally love this country - adn do I think it's the greatest in the world. Yes I do. And I'm not ashamed that I live here or that I feel this way.

Anyway - your comments concerning getting arrested for protesting are wrong. People get arrested for protesting when they disturb the peace - which is NOT covered by The Constitution. When people block streets, entries to businesses and so forth - that is when they are arrested.

I suppose I have to post this for what feels like the 50th thousand time...

Quote:
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-30-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:04 PM   #31
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i don't know why i picked that article to get all hot and bothered about, i could have chose the one that tells the newpaper to keep it's liberal views to itself, or the one that suggests that anyone who doesn't suppot the president is going to hell because their not following a christian leader.

hmm im sure i can dredge up a few more assinine (sp?) letters here, just lemme check the back issues.

i guess im just sick of getting flack because i don't support this stupid war. because i don't like this country, because i hate this backwater hell i live in.

i am smarter than 98% of my school, well smarter is a bad word, intelligent is more like it.

...i can't believe that i've lasted this long.

oops, there goes the blood pressure again.

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 03-30-2003 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:10 PM   #32
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
UH HUH!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Old 03-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #33
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
i don't know why i picked that article to get all hot and bothered about, i could have chose the one that tells the newpaper to keep it's liberal views to itself, or the one that suggests that anyone who doesn't suppot the president is going to hell because their not following a christian leader.

hmm im sure i can dredge up a few more assinine (sp?) letters here, just lemme check the back issues.
Well there are idiots all over the world.
Quote:

i guess im just sick of getting flack because i don't support this stupid war. because i don't like this country, because i hate this backwater hell i live in.
Well if you really don't like this country and you think it's a backwater hell hole - then the door is that way. ----->[]

Don't let it hit you on your way to utopia.

Hope you find your utopian society where everyone agrees with what you think. You might have to find a deserted island though.
Quote:

i am smarter than 98% of my school, well smarter is a bad word, intelligent is more like it.
Talk about arrogance. I thought you hated arrogant Americans? or doesn't that apply to you declaring that your smarter than 98% of your class. I've found that the majority of people think they're above average.
Quote:

...i can't believe that i've lasted this long.
Well let's hope it's not much longer then.
Quote:

oops, there goes the blood pressure again.
You really have to control that - maybe that deserted island where everyone (namely you) agrees with yourself will help that.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-30-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:21 PM   #34
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

*picks jersdevil's toys off the floor and puts them back in his pram*

Beatallica
Old 03-30-2003, 09:31 PM   #35
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
*picks jersdevil's toys off the floor and puts them back in his pram*
Why? Because I had the nerve to tell her how the world really is?

It does really get me that in one post she's complaining about Americans (her being one) as being arrogant and can't stand it - and then stating in her last post that she's more intelligent than 98% of her class.

And as i said - if she doesn't like the country and basically hates it - she can leave. This is NOT the Soviet Union or China, or North Korea, or Cuba. She's free to leave whenever she wants.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-30-2003 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:37 PM   #36
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Why? Because I had the nerve to tell her how the world really is?

It does really get me that in one post she's complaining about Americans (her being one) as being arrogant and can't stand it - and then stating in her last post that she's more intelligent than 98% of her class.

And as i said - if she doesn't like the country and basically hates it - she can leave. This is NOT the Soviet Union or China, or North Korea, or Cuba. She's free to leave whenever she wants.
Nope, because you presume that the only country that is better than America doesn't exist....

Now, that's arrogant.

So there are Americans that don't actually like some aspects of America.......big deal. Or is criticism of your own country grounds for immediate expulsion?

Still, what do I care? I don't live there

Beatallica
Old 03-30-2003, 09:54 PM   #37
jerseydevil

Quote:
Nope, because you presume that the only country that is better than America doesn't exist....

Now, that's arrogant.
Well I personally don't think a better country exists - but that's my personal feeliings. if you find that arrogant - then oh well.
Quote:

So there are Americans that don't actually like some aspects of America.......big deal. Or is criticism of your own country grounds for immediate expulsion?
Did I say that and did she say that she just didn't like SOME aspects of the country? NO - she said she didn't like the country PERIOD. If a person doesn't like the country - then they can leave. It's entirely different to point blank say that you hate it - versus pointing out something in particular.

I'm sure if someone came up to you and said "I hate England" you'd say "fine then leave". Although you might say - "well I hate it too" I guess it depends how you feel about your country.

There are a lot of things about America I wish were different or the government did differently. To be happy about everything would be impossible.
Quote:

Still, what do I care? I don't live there
You're really missing out.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-30-2003 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:00 PM   #38
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I'm sure if someone came up to you and said "I hate England" you'd say "fine then leave". Although you might say - "well I hate it too" I guess it depends how you feel about your country.
Actually my usual response is "Get off your backside and do something to change it then"..........I can't stand people who just sit an whinge.

Quote:
You're really missing out.
Could be, not willing to waste the time to find out tho'..........The UK will to fine for me for the next few years

Beatallica
Old 03-30-2003, 10:06 PM   #39
jerseydevil

Quote:
Actually my usual response is "Get off your backside and do something to change it then"..........I can't stand people who just sit an whinge.
Well if someone just hates the country - I seriously doubt it would ever be good enough for the person.

If it's something in particular - yeah - then you can work to change it. Just sounds like she just hates America. In which case I repeat - the door is that way ----->[]

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-30-2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:11 PM   #40
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Or is criticism of your own country grounds for immediate expulsion?
I don't think JD said she had to leave, merely that if she hated the country so much, she could leave.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Closed Thread