Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-30-2003, 11:34 AM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Moving to the Middle-earth forum.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:15 PM   #22
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

HoME IV, The Shaping Of Middle-Earth
. The Quenta

"..and high above the North, a challenge to Morgoth, she (Varda) set the crown of Seven mighty Stars to swing, the emblem of the Gods, and sign of Morgoth's doom."

aslo called The Plough, The Sickle, The Burning Briar, and The Great Bear. Big Dipper to us.

Repeated in HoME V, Quenta Silmarillion, chap 3, sec 19, and
Sil, Cap 3, pg 48
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 12-30-2003 at 12:22 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:39 PM   #23
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

OK, so from what I gather, the consensus is that either:

1. It IS a double-reference to the palantiri, by referring to the ships that bore them.

OR

2. It is a reference to seven stars in the sky.

In some ways, neither makes sense to me. For the first, the rhyme has already told us in the previous line that there were nine ships ('three times three') - and it seems redundant to make an additional reference to those ships that carry a palantir, when ships and palantiri have both already been mentioned.

The stars in the sky don't make sense because the exiles didn't carry them as they came.

Alternate theory: A mystery... maybe it isn't common knowledge just what they refer to... and it's something else. Maybe still known in later ages to kings and chieftains... maybe even lost to their knowledge. What do you all think? Any takers???
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:03 PM   #24
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
The stars in the sky don't make sense because the exiles didn't carry them as they came.
Why did they have to carry them?

The Elves were the people of the stars, and Valacirca was set by Varda in the north, as a sign to Melkor of his doom. I think it would make sense for a person named Elendil to bear that sign.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:34 PM   #25
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Why did they have to carry them?
Don't have my copy of "Two Towers" with me, but isn't the rhyme about what they brought to Middle Earth with them from Numenor? It's in one of the last pages of Book 3, if you have it close by...
Old 12-30-2003, 04:09 PM   #26
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Tall ships and tall kings
Three times three,
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one white tree.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:14 PM   #27
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Tall ships and tall kings
Three times three,
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one white tree.
So it WAS stuff they brought with them...

Was JRRT just giving us another mystery? Another unsolved piece of the puzzle, to make Middle Earth seem more real?
Old 12-30-2003, 04:14 PM   #28
Artanis

I see, and I just read SGH's explanation earlier in this thread.
Quote:
Seven Stars - The six pointed stars that served as the emblem of Elendil and his heirs. They represented the single stars on the banners of each of the ships of the Faithful that bore a palantir.
So they did carry the stars after all.

Edit: Cross post with Val.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:22 PM   #29
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
So they did carry the stars after all.
But see my point 1 in the third post from the top of this page... does that point make sense? Or do you still think it could be those 7 star emblems?

C'mon... let's make a mystery!
Old 12-30-2003, 04:30 PM   #30
Artanis

Quote:
But see my point 1 in the third post from the top of this page... does that point make sense? Or do you still think it could be those 7 star emblems?

C'mon... let's make a mystery!
I'm not sure what you mean.

After seeing the poem, the most likely solution is the star of each of the banners of the 7 ships that bore a palantir. And on a second thought, those 7 stars together could again be a symbol of the Valacirca.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:04 PM   #31
Valandil

Quote:
1. It IS a double-reference to the palantiri, by referring to the ships that bore them.

OR

2. It is a reference to seven stars in the sky.

In some ways, neither makes sense to me. For the first, the rhyme has already told us in the previous line that there were nine ships ('three times three') - and it seems redundant to make an additional reference to those ships that carry a palantir, when ships and palantiri have both already been mentioned.

Alternate theory: A mystery... maybe it isn't common knowledge just what they refer to... and it's something else. Maybe still known in later ages to kings and chieftains... maybe even lost to their knowledge. What do you all think? Any takers???
This part... maybe mentioning point 1 was confusing - I was really refering to the paragraph starting "In some ways..." as a response to possibility #1. Does THAT make sense as something to refute that the reference is to banners on certain ships?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:01 PM   #32
Artanis

Quote:
Does THAT make sense as something to refute that the reference is to banners on certain ships?
No ... I don't think so, not as I see it. The stars were in some way important to the Dúnedain, they were used as emblems in several places. They were not redundant.

LotR - The Ring goes south:
Quote:
The Sword of Elendil was forged anew by Elvish smiths, and on its blade was traced a device of seven stars set between the crescent Moon and the rayed Sun, and about them was written many runes; for Aragorn son of Arathorn was going to war upon the marches of Mordor.
And LotR - The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
Quote:
And all eyes followed his gaze, and behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned towards the Harlond. There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had borne for years beyond count. And the stars flamed in the sunlight, for they were wrought of gems by Arwen daughter of Elrond; and the crown was bright in the morning, for it was wrought of mithril and gold.
LotR - Appendix A, Gondor and the heirs of Anarion:
Quote:
Nonetheless the Stewards never sat on the ancient throne; and they wore no crown, and held no sceptre. They bore a white rod only as the token of their office; and their banner was white without charge; but the royal banner had been sable, upon which was displayed a white tree in blossom beneath seven stars.
I think it's sensible to think that the emblem refer to the Valacirca, especially since it was Dúrin's sign too.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:32 PM   #33
Valandil

Theoden

Yeah, in a way I see your point... but they BROUGHT them... and that would refer to just emblems??? I dunno...
Old 01-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #34
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

i havent read all of this thread bcus im in a rush so if i repeating someone else im sorry lol.

somone mentioned the tree with the stars engroved on it, maybe its like a constellation of stars the sky, of the white tree?
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #35
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Here is something else, I am sure it is significant, but I am unsure how it relates to this, but I think there is another saying in regards to this, but I am sure this holds some significance as well, especially knowing the lineages coming from Tuor. This is just after he takes the things from Nevrast in Turgon's old city and just before he speaks to Ulmo:

Quote:
From Unfinished Tales; Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin:

Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:36 PM   #36
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

there are 2 meanings for 7 stars

1) the stars of Elendil, seven stars, one on each ship with palantir etc

2) the 7 stars on gates of moria are dwarven symbols. they are the 7 stars that durin saw reflected in the kheled-zaram, which is also the sickle, so is in fact endearment to the leves and the dwarves!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #37
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

My understanding was that the 7 strars was the sickle of the Valar, (a constellation), and was in the signs of Dwarves and Gondor.
I believ they are the same seven sars.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:49 PM   #38
ranger
Hobbit

Strider

im not completely shure but i think they have to do with the tall kings
ranger is offline   Reply With Quote