Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2003, 02:55 PM   #21
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by ElfArianwen
Question:
Am I the only one on this forum who is terrified of Gollum?
My friends laugh at me because of it and even I can't figure it out. The war/fight scenes don't bug/gross me out, but GOLLUM FREAKS ME OUT!!!!!!
-Ari-the-weird-one-who-is-afraid-of-Gollum...and penguins
We need to start our own club, the Gollum Gives Us Nightmares club. I'm so-o-o scared of Gollum. In FotR he has about 2.5 seconds of screentime, and those 2.5 seconds were enough. I didn't sleep soundly for two weeks after that....Ugh, creepy.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:46 AM   #22
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Gollum

I loved the Gollum/Smeagol scenes! It was so sad when you could see at the end, that Gollum had taken control again. But am I the only one who thought that Smeagol was slightly cute? not Gollum, he awoked a horrible hate for freaky looking mean creatures! But Smeagol reminded me of the Grandma on "Maybe its Me" I dont know Its probably just a wierd moment of mine
Old 01-20-2003, 06:39 PM   #23
ElfArianwen
Sapling

Quote:
We need to start our own club the Gollum Gives Us Nightmares club.
Let's do it. Now I don't feel so bad. Even when I was reading the books he freaked me out. When I read them at night I had to read far enough that it was a scene without the freaky-NOT CUTE, NOT FUNNY-one.
I think they need to add an I'm-Scared-of-Gollum face.
Pippin: We've had one, yes, but what about second breakfast.
*Aragorn begins walking again*
Merry:I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin: What about elevensies, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper? Does he not know about them, too?
*Aragorn throws two apples.*
ElfArianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 05:52 PM   #24
Aeryn Evenstar
Enting

I thought the portrayal of Gollum was done really well. You have to feel sorry for him. You can see how he is tormented. The last time I went to see TTT the audience started laughing at that point. I really don't see the humor in it. I thought it was really sad.
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:27 PM   #25
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn Evenstar
I thought the portrayal of Gollum was done really well. You have to feel sorry for him. You can see how he is tormented. The last time I went to see TTT the audience started laughing at that point. I really don't see the humor in it. I thought it was really sad.
I agree. I mean am I the only one who saw Gollum as more child like then anything else? Especially with those big puppy dog eyes. And singing to himself and all that. He actually reminds me of my 9 year old nephew. *laugh*

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:53 PM   #26
Aeryn Evenstar
Enting

The Smeagol part of Gollum was really sweet and scared and even seemed like he wanted to fit in by helping. But Gollum was the tormentor. He was a big influence on Smeagol. Smeagol depended on him. Gollum was the part of the charactor who took charge. I think Smeagol saw in Frodo someone to take care of him and help him and that is how he found the strength to tell Gollum to "go away and don't come back." Then Frodo betrayed him, or at least he felt that way. Then he let Gollum barged back in.
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:07 AM   #27
Millane
The Dude

i thought it was funny but as i have said they didnt have to change him round and to make him that way that is just his personality
Old 01-24-2003, 12:30 PM   #28
kiwi
Elven Warrior

Strider

yeah! I totally agree with you. It was a really good idea but they didn't really have to do it. In a way it probably confused people more and also made it a bit funnier..... atleast that is what is think.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:11 AM   #29
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
I agree. I mean am I the only one who saw Gollum as more child like then anything else? Especially with those big puppy dog eyes. And singing to himself and all that. He actually reminds me of my 9 year old nephew. *laugh*
No, I agree. Here is why I think this too. If you remember back to the story of Smeagol, the time in his life when the ring "came to him" he was just "coming of age" for Hobbits and so he was technically still a teenager, as Pippin is. So, if you look at it from this perspective, Smeagol lost his youth when the ring took dominion over him, which allowed Gollum to take over his life. Now, that Smeagol got to come out again, he kinda picked up where he left off, since he (being Smeagol) was still "coming of age" in the sense that he didn't grow as himself, but instead aged as Gollum...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote