Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2003, 02:23 PM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've got a copy on my shelf, but I have to wait 'til I've finished HoME 5 at least.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:37 PM   #22
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
maybe I should read HOME.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:40 PM   #23
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

The second book isn't as good. I have to find the third now.

Aure Entuleva!

Old 01-24-2003, 02:30 PM   #24
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

The third book is okay. What bugs me is that they could have been so much better.

Aure Entuleva!

Old 01-24-2003, 11:19 PM   #25
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

rating 10= best 1=crap

A wizard of Earthsea = 8 1/2

The tombs of Atuan = 9

The Farthest Shore = 7

Tahaunu (sp? its the 4th one i kno that) = 6 1/2

feel free to add ur rate
Old 01-25-2003, 02:11 PM   #26
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Wizard of Earthsea 9...
I never read any of the others!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:31 PM   #27
Anawiel
Sapling

they're really good i think it should have been a trio though, becasue the last book doesnt fit in with the others, yet I still think its very good

A wizard of Earthsea = 9

The tombs of Atuan = 9

The Farthest Shore = 7

Tahaunu = 8
Anawiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:16 PM   #28
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Never read Tahaunu. What's it about?

Wizard of Earthsea: 7
Tombs of Atuan: 3
The Farthest Shore: 5

Aure Entuleva!

Old 02-18-2003, 01:06 PM   #29
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Tehanu is a continuation of the life of Ged and Tenar (from the Tombs of Atuan) a few years after "The Farthest Shore"

Beware, however - the book was written twenty years later, and may come as a shock- say as if Tolkien wrote a sequel to LoTR to reveal Aragorn, Gandalf and the Elves as the Evil Fascist Imperialist Pigs they had been all along.

OK, I'm exaggerating- but only slightly!

I actually liked it, but I read it almost twenty years after I read the trilogy (which I loved)- I think if I read it directly after I probably would have hated it.

ArwenEvenstar, Anawiel- I'd just like to ask out of curiosity- how far apart did you read them - and am I correct in assuming you're both female? I think that would make a big difference as to how you viewed them, in most cases anyway.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:15 PM   #30
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

BTW, there are two more Earthsea books, neither of which I.ve read

Tales from EarthSea; contains the origins of Wizards and Dragons

The Other Wind; the fifth and presumably final installment, takes up after Tehanu

Both are supposed to be less harsh and didactic (LeGuin's great failing, when she lets it get out of hand) than Tehanu- has anybody read them?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:15 PM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Just to be contrary: I wasn't entirely sold on the first book. Ged moved around too much, and you could never get a sense of "knowing" the places that he'd been to. I don't know if this was deliberate on the authors part or not -- maybe she wanted to emulate what Ged was going through... the brevity of his visits, his isolation, etc. But, it just seemed that she failed to create worlds for me. I just didn't get a sense of delving into a real world that I usually get. Plus that whole "greatest wizard", unleashing the darkness, etc. Hardly a new concept. So yeah, I was a little reluctant to read the next few books, understandably.

My favourite one would have to be Tombs of Atuan. I really got a sense of culture, I guess, from reading this one. At sharp contrast from the first book. And I loved the idea of wandering in the dark.

Fartherest shore: again, some of the plots seemed a little... done. But, I found it to be a better book than the first one.

I really enjoyed Tehanu. I liked that Ged lost his powers, and became a petulant little boy. THAT was new. I didn't get a sense of contrived plot-lines. And I liked that the author hinted at Tenar's power, making it subtle, rather than glaringly obvious.

So, in summation:

A wizard of Earthsea: 6.5
Tombs of Atuan: 8
The fartherest shore: 7
Tehanu: 7.5
Old 02-18-2003, 08:08 PM   #32
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

I've only read the first one until now, but I liked it a lot. I can't wait to get the sequels.

It was actually better than I expected. I'd heard it was good, but I thought it was just an adventure book- turns out it made me think a lot. It reminded me of Michael Ende in a way... but then, everything reminds me of Michael Ende.

You all seem to think the sequels aren't as good, though... Are they at least worth reading, or will they disappoint me?
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:55 PM   #33
Meldon
Hobbit

I think Fran Walsh was thinking about writing the Earthsea saga. Cool. Heard it from my brother. His Dark Materials series is on the verge of happening as well; they're trying to pitch it to some sci-fi screenplay writer. That'll need a budget.
Meldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 07:19 PM   #34
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Quote:
Originally posted by Meldon
I think Fran Walsh was thinking about writing the Earthsea saga. Cool. Heard it from my brother. His Dark Materials series is on the verge of happening as well; they're trying to pitch it to some sci-fi screenplay writer. That'll need a budget.
NO! They will ruin His Dark Materiels, if they try to make a movie out of it! I won't let them! I loved those books! I also cried a lot during them... very veyr sad.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:37 AM   #35
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Love these books! The Tombs of Atuan is my favorite. I like the descriptions in The Farthest Shore, of the giant rafts and the kind of life the people lead. Tehanu was also sweet in a delicate sort of way.

I particularly like the kind of magic used - by learning the true names of things. Very cool. Also a world mostly ocean is my kind of place.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:46 PM   #36
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I read the first one last year. Well, the end of 7th grade, this year.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:15 PM   #37
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

*peers*

Some of you people don't watch enough Scifi. I don't know anything about an Earthsea movie, but the Scifi channel is going to be airing an EarthSea miniseries starting (let me see if I've got this right)... December 10.

It's only been advertised every single day... although I suppose most people don't have families who watch Science Fiction television together in the afternoon.

Hmm... speaking of the books, my library actually didn't have A Wizard of Earthsea. I suppose I'll pick it up when/if I have the chance...
Old 10-20-2004, 12:34 AM   #38
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
*peers*

Some of you people don't watch enough Scifi. I don't know anything about an Earthsea movie, but the Scifi channel is going to be airing an EarthSea miniseries starting (let me see if I've got this right)... December 10.

It's only been advertised every single day... although I suppose most people don't have families who watch Science Fiction television together in the afternoon.

Hmm... speaking of the books, my library actually didn't have A Wizard of Earthsea. I suppose I'll pick it up when/if I have the chance...
I heard of it. But I only watch it at four am for the twilight zone .
Old 10-20-2004, 01:01 AM   #39
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yay! The Twilight Zone!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #40
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
*peers*

thanks for the heads up!

one of my favorite series