Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-21-2002, 08:03 PM   #21
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I only got 6 on the europe quiz-very sad consdering I came in 3rd in a national trivia competition last may.

But the geography questions weren't terribly difficult (I got the Christianity one wrong-I swear Islam is bigger by now, but guess not) but I only needed to think about the scandanavia one. Interesting how few Americans know where Israel is... or where Japan is. I'm glad they didn't ask about Canada-note how more canadians can find US than americans.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:34 PM   #22
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
I got all eight questions right, but I could probably answer a lot more HISTORY questions about North America (especially US and Canada) and Europe than I could about any of the other continents. The same is probably true with geography.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:09 PM   #23
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverstripe
I got all eight questions right, but I could probably answer a lot more HISTORY questions about North America (especially US and Canada) and Europe than I could about any of the other continents. The same is probably true with geography.
I was thinking about that 70% that can't find New Jersey on a map. That shows a lack of comprehension in History classes too - not just geography.

Not only is New Jersey one of the original 13 colonies everyone learns about in elementary school and is repeatedly tested on, but also the turning point of the Revolution occurred in Trenton and Princeton when Washington crossed the Delaware to attack the Hessians in Trenton on Christmas morning. I guess most Americans wouldn't even know where the Delaware is or what states it seperates.

Washington spent more time in New Jersey than any other colony and more battles were fought in New Jersey than anywhere else during the Revolutionary War.

Thomas Edison invented the incandesent light bulb, the phonograph, the movie camera, etc here.

If someone doesn't know where New Jersey is - then they don't know where these key events took place. Without the Battle of Trenton - we'd still be an English possession (like Canada ).

If history didn't get people to figure out where NJ is, maybe the entertainment industry would. MTV has hosted "Summer Beach House" at Seaside Heights twice. MTV even had Seaside Survivor, where contestants had to go from Manhattan through NJ to Seaside. It's the home of Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Frank Sanatra, Whitney Houston and many others - not to mention the "Sopranos". We're home of Princeton University - rated the number one college in America.

In elementary school we always colored in the 13 original colonies and we had to know them and fill in their names on a blank map for tests.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:20 PM   #24
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

when/where was this test? i never took it?
Old 11-21-2002, 11:59 PM   #25
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I got 19/20 right. I missed the world religion question too. Oh well.

LuthienTinuviel, a link to the quiz can be found in jerseydevil's first post. Click on the words "Global Geographic Literacy Survey".

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:39 PM   #26
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I got 19/20. I was wrong on the question with the movement of the ocean or something like this.

It is an easy queeze - probably because I'm very good in Geography. I like Geography, and the question weren't hard at all. (and I'm just 13 years old (!))

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 11-24-2002 at 03:52 PM.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:50 PM   #27
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I got perfect, and I thought it was pretty easy, but then i love geography, history etc. still the u.s.'s results were pretty sad.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:57 PM   #28
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Some people can be so ignorant I think. I got 18/20. Pretty easy I thought, and I'm 16 years old from Canada.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 04:27 PM   #29
azalea
Long lost mooter

I got them all right on the first one, but only got 6/8 on the second. I missed the most populous country (I put France instead of Germany) and I put that Sweden is not an EU member, when it's actually Norway. Oh, well.

I agree that geography needs to be taught more in school. I was allowed to skip geography in HS because I was in an AP class, so the first real Geog. class I had was in college. It was a great course w/ a really good instructor. We did have a unit in 5th gr. about South America and learned all of the countries, but that's the only other true geog. course I had.

When I taught elementary school, I used a program called Daily Geography, which would be part of the students' AM work. It was a couple of geog. questions they would have to answer (they could use maps or the globe to help them if needed, since it was a learning activity, not a test). Then we would go over the answers and it became a great springboard for discussion about different topics in geography.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 07:14 PM   #30
gdl96
the greg the admin

20/20 on the first test and 4/8 on the Eurpean test. But I'm not too smart when it comes to Europe.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:33 PM   #31
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I can't find this "europe test".
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:02 AM   #32
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Aw, now I feel stupid. Mmmm, may I add to my defence that maps and me never went together well? Nah, I'm just stupid. Good thing I don't have geography anymore. But at least I KNOW where Belgium is!

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
3% of Swedes didn't know where Sweden was. If the multiple choice list included Finland or Norway in the choices - then I would have been guessing. I couldn't remember which one was Sweden.
Ditto, yeah it's a shame since I'm half a continent closer than you are but I keep switching them. They should have included all numbers in the test I think, giving only a few numbers makes it easier to guess.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:25 PM   #33
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yeah, that would have been the same for me, too. But the numbers were so small, I could hardly read what they were. If they had had all the numbers as choices, I definately would have gotten some wrong because I'd get the 3s mixed up with 8s, etc. They would have to make the numbers bigger.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 04:50 PM   #34
Elvellon
Elf Lord

“Top of the class, along with the Poles”

I think they both were quite straightforward, but the National Geographic quiz was better made, two of the questions of the European quiz were not from universally known facts.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote