Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-24-2002, 02:51 PM   #21
azalea
Long lost mooter

It didn't work when I tried it, either, but I have a cheap dvd player, so that might be why. Unless I just did it wrong. Oh, well.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 04:11 PM   #22
Eglantine Banks
Hobbit

I'd like to address the question about Aragorn's response about not wanting to be a King.

This was already hinted at in the theatrical version when Gandalf and Elrond are talking in Elrond's chamber, Elrond says that Men are leaderless, divided, Gandalf says "there is one who could unite them," [meaning Aragorn] and Elrond says "he turned from that path long ago." Elrond's point is that Aragorn has chosen not to try to regain his Kingship, and one gets the feeling that Elrond is disappointed in Aragorn, maybe even slightly disdainful. Elrond's claim and Aragorn's new statement in the EE about never having wanted to be King create a very different character than the Aragorn of the book.

In the books Aragorn has the definite aim of regaining the Kingship, and his main motive for this is his love for Arwen. Elrond has told him he can marry his daughter Arwen if he becomes King. There is no doubt in the book Aragorn that he will try to regain his Kingship if the opportunity presents itself, but he bides his time, spending many years of his adulthood as a Ranger guarding the borders of the Shire. Then when the events of LOTR unfold, Aragorn experiences many doubts and conflicts, mainly based on the feeling that much has gone wrong and that he has made many wrong decisions. (He blames himself for Gandalf's fall in Moria, among other things.) In other words, both book Aragorn and movie Aragorn are full of conflicts, and neither of them tries to regain the Kingship as a young man, but the book Aragorn has the desire for the Kingship, whereas the movie Aragorn says that he does not. The movie Aragorn goes as far as to tell Galadriel (in the EE) that he wishes Arwen would go with her people over the Sea -- in other words, he would rather see her keep her immortality even though this would mean they would not be able to marry. Then there is the scene (at the end of FOTR) where Aragorn is tempted by the Ring, something that didn't happen in the book.

I've spent a lot of time wondering why the moviemakers made the choice to depict Aragorn in this way. In my view it makes him seem rather indecisive. Especially when he is compared to the movie Boromir, whose steadfast loyalty to his country and unblinking, unbent desire to save the people of Gondor seem so uncomplex, and so heroic.

Maybe the moviemakers feel that the conflicts that the book Aragorn experience are too subtle to translate to the big screen and are instead substituting doubts about his destiny to become King and even doubts about his relationship with Arwen. I wonder what's going to happen in TTT and ROTR to change his mind?

-Eglantine
Eglantine Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:25 AM   #23
iowyth
Sapling

This is my first time on this site and I found that trailer which i have been looking for for days! My son and I watched it about 10 times. Thanks so much for the info. Can't wait to email my sister and tease her for a few hours before I tell her how to find it!!!

Thanks so much!
iowyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:28 AM   #24
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
have you introduced yourself on the welcome thread yet?

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:52 PM   #25
iowyth
Sapling

Haven't got there yet, but I will. Just joined this morning before coming to work and am popping in on my lunch hour. Promise i will. Was so happy about the Two Towers preview I just had to say thank you!
iowyth is offline   Reply With Quote