Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2002, 07:14 AM   #21
Urksnik the Sleek
Hobbit

The fellowship was symbolically nine walkers to be set against the nine Nazgul.
Elrond did in fact consider sending members of his household as part of the fellowship, although not specifically Glorfindel, but Merry and Pippin insisted that they must go along or they would follow anyway, against his better judgement, Elrond eventually agreed.
I don't mind too much, Arwen's expanded role, but if PJ had sent her with the fellowship, I'd have certainly joned the lynch mob of LuthienTinuviel!
Urksnik the Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:43 AM   #22
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Bropous - I agree with what you said , but im still a bit dubious on the Glorfindel point ( i know its off topic and weve had threads on it before ), Do we have a definitive answer to the question of " was Glorfindel the Bqalrog battler " or not ? According to my Middle Earth companion thingy by David Day, it was probably a different Elf.

As for the original question....the fellowship did not have much use for a good cross stitch, so im afraid Arwen was out !

On a more serious note, Arwen would have known that this task was not for her, as would Elrond, and there was never any chance of her joining the Fellowship.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 10:18 AM   #23
Nilvasaien
Hobbit

viggosbeard posted:

"On a more serious note, Arwen would have known that this task was not for her, as would Elrond, and there was never any chance of her joining the Fellowship."

I agree; also PJ probably knew how far to go vis-a-vis expanding movie-Arwen's role so that those unfamiliar with the books could understand why Aragorn ends up with her, rather than with Eowyn.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:22 AM   #24
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Peter Jackson knew that fans of the book would riot if Arwen joined the fellowship. He obviously values his life.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:37 AM   #25
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Celebrian was kidnapped by orcs, not slain, as far as I can recall correctly. But she was so traumatised by it that she went west fairly early.
Heh heh- wink wink- nudge nudge

Gads. The only good part about Arwen being in the role she was placed in in the movie was that it gave me a good place to get up and go take a leak.

I get ill when I watch that part.

It reduces her from the daughter of one of the eldest living beings in middle earth, a princess in all but title, to some kind of flashy tart.

And no way in hell would Elrond have let her go traipsing off intot he wilds with strider boy, Especially since he objected to the union on principal.

Gah why bother.. I can't believe the thread starter is that ignorant. He's obviously just trolling for orks. I think I'll just start on him for an appetizer before I bite PJ's head off.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:47 AM   #26
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
He's obviously just trolling for orks. I think I'll just start on him for an appetizer before I bite PJ's head off.
Sorry, he's mine.

(So *that's* where Celebrian went! )

I just noticed in my 8th re-reading that Elrond and Arwen are supposed to be similar looking --- well, we know that Liv is a troll, but....