Númenorean

lol..
Old 05-27-2002, 06:03 PM   #23
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Actually,he did.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 08:33 PM   #24
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

ive heard different versions
Old 05-27-2002, 09:17 PM   #25
azalea
Long lost mooter

In Letters Tolkein basically says that his spirit does carry it with him.
My best guess on Tom at this point is that he is Aule (although I'm open to discussion about that), and that's why it didn't make him invisible.
I think the point that since Sauron was the maker of the ring he was not affected in that way is valid, as well as the fact that he is not really "alive" or whatever. We don't really know how it would affect Gandalf/ other Maia because they never tried it on, so to speak. Maybe it did only make those of this earth invisible. Then again, maybe Gandalf would have been invisible, maybe Sauron wasn't because he, being the maker, had an "option," or maybe he couldn't become invisible by it because he kind of WAS the ring in a sense -- just some random musings.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 09:40 PM   #26
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

i dont see any similarities between tom and aule
Old 05-27-2002, 11:54 PM   #27
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I think Olorin, as one of the oldest istari and a Maiar, might be a good candidate for Tom. He dwelt in Lorien, and learned pity and patience from Nienna. These qualities fit his character; He had a calming affect and an affinity for trees..
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 05-27-2002 at 11:56 PM.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 12:02 AM   #28
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Well, yes those qualities do fit his character, but I sincerely doubt that Olorin could be Tom's identity.. considering the fact that Olorin is indeed Gandalf/Mithrandir.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:12 AM   #29
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirahzi
Well, yes those qualities do fit his character, but I sincerely doubt that Olorin could be Tom's identity.. considering the fact that Olorin is indeed Gandalf/Mithrandir.
You are right. What was I thinking . I definitely need to go get some sleep.

I was trying to find an early entry that fit his personality in the Sil.

The search continues... tomorrow.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-28-2002, 05:03 AM   #30
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
.....or maybe he couldn't become invisible by it because he kind of WAS the ring in a sense -- just some random musings.
Hey, you could be right here! The ring was part of him and visa versa. That would be a plausible explanation for Sauron not to disappear while wearing the ring.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:57 AM   #31
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

possibly sauron was always in "the wraith world" though he was visible. wild guess
Old 05-28-2002, 11:48 AM   #32
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
possibly sauron was always in "the wraith world" though he was visible. wild guess
That's actually not a bad idea. Sauron may very well have always had one foot in the wraithworld door, so to speak, since he was Maia. But wouldn't that mean that Gandalf and the other Istari would be half-in the other world as well?

By the way, someone please tell me how to get an avatar around here!!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:55 AM   #33
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

the vala (before they took on forms) were just mere spirits. they musta been in the "wraith world"?
Old 05-28-2002, 01:55 PM   #34
azalea
Long lost mooter

I read a really good essay on the web proposing the "Tom is Aule" theory. But as I said, I'm not 100% convinced.

I think Sauron would be more in the wraith world than Gandalf because his phisical body had been destroyed before. Gandalf the White was more "other worldly" in some ways than he was as the Grey, wasn't he? maybe that does have some bearing on it.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 01:59 PM   #35
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

saying tom is aule is even more ludicrous than saying tom is tulkas
i dont see any similarities in them. can you please tell any of them
Old 05-28-2002, 03:25 PM   #36
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I read a really good essay on the web proposing the "Tom is Aule" theory. But as I said, I'm not 100% convinced.

I think Sauron would be more in the wraith world than Gandalf because his phisical body had been destroyed before. Gandalf the White was more "other worldly" in some ways than he was as the Grey, wasn't he? maybe that does have some bearing on it.
Other worldly? I thought he was just Gandalf reincarnated by the powers of Valinor.. Similar to Glorfindel being sent back, Gandalf was also sent back to take care of 'unfinished business'
Old 05-28-2002, 04:17 PM   #37
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

gandalf never died becuz he was a maiar, his body perished(just like what happened with Sauron).I recall him saying something like "he walked long in dark thought" or something.
he took on once again the form of "gandalf"
Old 05-28-2002, 06:15 PM   #38
Cirdan

Did his boby perish? He was "in long darkness" and "was sent back" naked. It is vaguely implied he died, but never really stated that way. Him time in Lothlorien was described as timeless. It seems that he was totally drained by the battle, but was conscience during and after. He could have just as well ascended in power by defeating another maiar.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-28-2002, 06:30 PM   #39
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
The other aspect of it is, that turning invisible was just a side effect of entering the wraith world. You left the world of visible light and entered the shadowy evil one.
You are slightly in error.

There are two realms... the Seen and the Unseen. You can think of them as physical and spiritual. The ring did push it's bearer into the unseen world, and could be used to gain power over it. The domination of other wills (spirits), etc.

I think that it's likely that the shift into the unseen world would have made a mortal invisible. It is also possible that a strong willed person could have learned to make themself visible while wearing the ring-remember, maia were 'by default' invisible spirits, they had to exert themselves to form a physical body. So they were simply increased in power by the ring, the physical construct would have likely still worked.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:07 PM   #40
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Tom's Elvish name was Iarwain Ben-adar, occuring to Elrond.
And in Apendix B it states clearly that Gandalf died and returned 2 life.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote