Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-07-2002, 04:05 PM   #21
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
There is no reason why they should try to be newbies.
They're not trying to be newbies. They are newbies. No one knows a messageboard well before they blunder unto it.
Quote:
And what?
I was merely pointing out that newbies aren't the only ones guilty of spam. What else would you like to hear? I thought it was pretty straight foreward....
Quote:
It also happens to be the actual topic of this board.
I know that. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't that. But GM just happens to be a well-visited area of the entmoot.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:43 PM   #22
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Nooooo! We cannot lose the lovable GM forum! I say we vote on it as a community!
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:52 PM   #23
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

hey rogue elf we could all just move to the crossroads of arda

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:55 PM   #24
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Let me compare Entmoot to a church picnic.
Why do people go to a church picnic? To talk to people who share beliefs with them and socialize. They will probably have some conversations with people about God, Jesus, and The Bible, but they really just like being with people like them.
Why do people come to Entmoot? To talk to people who share beliefs with them and socialize. They will probably have some conversations with people about Sauron, Gandalf, and The Balrog, but they really just like being with people like them.

Thank you.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:07 PM   #25
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

it is human nature to go off subjecta little bit anyway. i like the idea of a vote though. after all we ARE the entmoot!

maybe set up twothrdsentitled yes and no. and then simply see whichone hasthe most replies.

and no one has answered my question. what is a newbie? when does a newbie no longer have to be called idiot?

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:10 PM   #26
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

it is a rare day I agree with you emplynx

ps are you truly 6'7' at age 16

i thought I was tall when i was 6' at 13

topped out at 6'2'

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-07-2002, 05:20 PM   #27
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Ooh . . . good idea, afro-elf. *evil snicker*
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:22 PM   #28
Darth Tater
The man

There will be no vote. You should feel lucky we let you know we're even considering it.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:38 PM   #29
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

a haven for spammers it surely is at times, but if you close GM the spammers may spread the spam to other threads. I like GM b/c I can start a thread about almost anything, and someone will reply. Likewise, there are valid discussions going on that would not fit in any other category on the moot.

When get on a kick where I feel like avoiding the rampant silliness that goes on in General Messages, I stick to the Gen Lit and the Tolkien areas.

So, my opinion is: leave the spammers a place to spam, and they will leave the rest of the moot in peace.

PS according to my current rate of posts, I don't think I'm considered a spammer anymore
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 06:24 PM   #30
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
They're not trying to be newbies. They are newbies. No one knows a messageboard well before they blunder unto it.
You said "So they should be", should they be Newbies deliberately then.

Quote:
I was merely pointing out that newbies aren't the only ones guilty of spam. What else would you like to hear? I thought it was pretty straight foreward....
Does that excuse spam then, because others are tempted?

Quote:
but if you close GM the spammers may spread the spam to other threads
Read below.

Quote:
So, my opinion is: leave the spammers a place to spam, and they will leave the rest of the moot in peace.
Yeah, whats next, a forum for swearing? A forum for flame wars?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 06:44 PM   #31
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
There will be no vote. You should feel lucky we let you know we're even considering it.
Hey, it is your board... See how you like it if we all leave.

P.S. I am not planning on going anywhere, even if you do close GM
Quote:

A forum for flame wars?
That would be very popular, I'm sure!
Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
it is a rare day I agree with you emplynx
*bows* Wow, if you agree with me, it must be good
Quote:
ps are you truly 6'7' at age 16
Yes, where did you read that?
I also wear a size 16 (american) shoe

By the way, I am still growing so don't call that tall quite yet.
Quote:
i thought I was tall when i was 6' at 13
You wern't

Last edited by emplynx : 05-07-2002 at 06:46 PM.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 07:03 PM   #32
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Yeah, whats next, a forum for swearing? A forum for flame wars?
that's just a slippery slope argument

but as emplynx said

Quote:
That would be very popular, I'm sure!
Quote:
thought I was tall when i was 6' at 13
Quote:
You wern't
LOL

we are agreeing a lot today

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-07-2002, 07:32 PM   #33
azalea
Long lost mooter

I don't think spam is the only problem.
I think they don't want this to be just a place for people to hang out and yak (although I love to yak myself). I think they want to keep it a special place devoted to Tolkein's works, rather than just any old message board. I agree that I like to discuss many things with everyone here, but I'm just looking at it from their perspective. As harsh as it sounds, this board was not created for our personal (meaning individual) enjoyment, and I'll bet that some of them might be thinking if we want to talk about *insert Tolkein-irrelavent subject example here*, we should start our own. (THIS WAS NOT MEANT TO OFFEND OR TO BE RUDE. I just want to mention my thoughts about why this might be happening. If it were just spam, it would be dealt with as they've done, so that's why I suspect it's more than that).
I guess I'm considered a newbie, but I hope I've not been annoying, but rather excited to find a place to post my opinions on different Tolkein debates, ideas, etc., and to read others' opinions and ideas.
I don't want GM to be closed, but if it doesn't fit with the admn's vision for the board, so be it. I'll still have plenty to say (all appropriate of course).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 07:45 PM   #34
Khadrane
Elf Lord

What emplynx said. I really don't think you should close GM. I'd give you some great argument, but I stink at that kind of stuff.

P.S.- 6'7" at sixteen? Do you play basketball?

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:02 PM   #35
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
a haven for spammers it surely is at times, but if you close GM the spammers may spread the spam to other threads. I like GM b/c I can start a thread about almost anything, and someone will reply. Likewise, there are valid discussions going on that would not fit in any other category on the moot.
Exactly my feelings.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:34 PM   #36
Ben
Retired Ent

I think emplynx has the right idea.

There is only so much that one can say about Tolkien. The movies have revitalized interest, but after a time, most discussion will be exhausted. Especially due to our strictly-enforced "redundant thread" policies, it is becoming increasingly difficult for the new or casual Tolkien fan to find anything original or interesting to discuss. Even the seasoned Tolkienites would have to think hard to come up with something never mentioned once in the past 2 and a half years.

For someone who is worn out (at least temporarily) by coming up with more comments on everyone's favorite story, there are two options. One is to leave, and the other is to join the community here in General Messages. I think the latter is preferable, because it keeps the board going. As emplynx said, it's nice to chat with people with similar interests.

The board was certainly started to discuss the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. However, it was also created in the spirit of the Jedi Council - where all the "regulars" had long since stopped being regulars in the actual Star Wars forums, and instead congregated in the miscellaneous area. Tater himself founded an RPG/chat series in which he was Emperor.

The only way that themed message boards can remain successful is by balancing the distinguishing "real" content with the needs of a growing virtual community.

Has this forum had more than its share of inane and pointless messages? Sure. Just as we can't expect everyone discuss Tolkien 24/7, we can't expect you to participate in intellectual debates all the time either (which tend to degenerate into flame wars anyway, but I digress )

I think that some of the suggestions in this thread are valid. An official welcome thread would certainly cut down on the amount of new threads, but the others don't really need to be shoved into one topic, imo.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:54 PM   #37
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Okay, as usual, I'm here after everything of value has been said. But also as usual, I'm going to put in my 2 cents anyways.
Entmoot may be primarily for Tolkien. But even if you deleted this forum, don't you think people would discuss Tolkien non-related subjects elsewhere, anyway? Unless the administration plans on being extremely busy, this is almost inevitable. I think it was wise to include this forum just to talk. Expanding on emplynx's church picnic thing...Entmoot is like school. You come here to learn and teach, but you also meet great people. Please don't close this forum down. I probably won't argue if it is closed, because I understand the reasoning. But I will be dissapointed.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:13 PM   #38
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I basically agree with most everyone here, and I think emplynx sums it up pretty well. I'm not sure what i'll do if you do decide to close GM, I might stay, but like Ben said, there's only so much to discuss before it's all been said. Especially considering that I'm a new Tolkein fan and haven't even finished ROTK yet, I don't have much to contribute to the Tolkein related forums. Yeah, I drop by and post on a few threads occasionally, but I don't want to spoil anything for myself, and of course I can't make a single comment in The Silmarillon. That being said, if I stay, I won't post very often, at least until i finish some more of Tolkein's works. The alternative? Leave, which I don't really want to do, because every other mb I've been to hasn't been as well organized, kept up, and frequented as this one. (No offense to emplynx and RE.) I have alot of fun here, and leaving would definitely make my mom happy, but my hope is that the admins and mods will seriously consider an alternative to closing GM. That's all I've got to say for now.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:50 PM   #39
frodosgirlfriend
Elven Warrior

Location: I live in la la land, you know, the place you go during math class
i think it's a really bad idia. alot of ppl will prob leave if u close the GM.
Quote:
a haven for spammers it surely is at times, but if you close GM the spammers may spread the spam to other threads. I like GM b/c I can start a thread about almost anything, and someone will reply. Likewise, there are valid discussions going on that would not fit in any other category on the moot
i thought the exact same thing. it would just really suck if u put the pad lock on the entire GM. even if there is some spam, it's still a cool place to yap & yap & yap about nothing important, or some things that r. i've only seen the lotr movie and am 2 chaps away from finishing ttt. i'm not much of a Tolkein fan who has read each book about 50 times and takes classes on him & such & such. at the moment i'm a lotr movie fan. but i will be a Tolkein fan soon enough.

i've already had so many things spoiled from looking at the Tolkein stuff i don't even need to read the books! that's y i mainly poast here in the GM. i really don't think this is a good idia

---------------------------------------------
AND FGF'S MOST GORGEOUS MAN ALIVE AT THE MOMENT'S AWARD GOES TO.........
BRANDON BOYD (yes once again) !!!!! WOOOO!!!
----------------------------------------------
Hottness has no count for age.... thats why I'm merrying a forty year old who goes by the name of JOHNNY DEPP!!!!
-----------------------------------------------
Fortune cookies tell all, so when i got the cookie telling me to date my love i became a stalker to Johnny Depp, and when i find him my excuse will be "the cookie made me do it"
------------------------------------------------
I'm not stupid, I'm special
"But why is the rum gone?"
"Captian, Catian Jack Sparrow"
"pa-pa-pa parsnip, parla, --"
"Just don't do anything... stupid"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"
~Captian Jack Sparrow
Read my FP.net story!!!
frodosgirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 10:20 PM   #40
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Well, I won't be inciting a riot is GM is closed, but I strongly agree with Ben in that without the break from Tolkien that GM provides a lot of people would post less. There are some times when you just can't talk anymore about Tolkien, and when that happens you can either hang out in General for a while until your inspiriation returns or leave. If there was no General then all the breaking regulars/oldbies would leave (and we all know that half the people that leave never come back, even if they originally meant too), what does that leave you with? An increased ratio of newbies.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote