Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2002, 10:45 AM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
In Gone With the Wind the scene where Rhett carries Scarlett up the stairs to the bedroom is one of the most sensual scenes I've seen and NOTHING is shown.
That scene your talking about in Gone with the Wind is basically a drunken rape scene. Rhett is drunk and forcefully carries Scarlett up the stairs. It's funny how (outside the movie) that scene is always portrayed as a romantic scene - by just cutting out the first five minutes of it.

By the way - there is hardly any violence in The Lord of the Rings until you get to the Two Towers. Fellowship of the Ring is a very tame book and LOTR builds up over time. I do think Jackson concentrated too much on the action scenes and left out the characterisation. I was hoping the DVD would include more character development - but maybe with so much being said about the added violence - it's too much to hope for.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-16-2002 at 10:50 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:47 AM   #22
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

That scene your talking about in Gone with the Wind is basically a drunken rape scene. Rhett is drunk and forcefully carries Scarlett up the stairs.
And your point being? No, I'm just kidding. But I still think it has a lot of passion.

Quote:
By the way - there is hardly any violence in The Lord of the Rings until you get to the Two Towers. Fellowship of the Ring is a very tame book and LOTR builds up over time. I do think Jackson concentrated too much on the action scenes and left out the characterisation. I was hoping the DVD would include more character development - but maybe with so much being said about the added violence - it's too much to hope for.
Well said.

Last edited by azalea : 04-16-2002 at 11:49 AM.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 03:38 PM   #23
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

That scene your talking about in Gone with the Wind is basically a drunken rape scene. Rhett is drunk and forcefully carries Scarlett up the stairs. It's funny how (outside the movie) that scene is always portrayed as a romantic scene - by just cutting out the first five minutes of it.

As everyone knows, Scarlett wants him to do that. And as everyone knows, that is why she is happy the next morning, just before ... well, I don't want to spoil it for those who have never seen it.

But Gone With the Wind is not a romance. It is a historical drama. The romantic scenes would detract from the main point. Whereas Lord of the Rings is about a war, so scenes of war do not detract from the point.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:12 PM   #24
jerseydevil

Nazgul

I disagree with the fact that is what Scarlett wanted at Rhett to forcefully carry her up the stairs at the time. I also disagree that FOTR is a war movie/book. LOTR is - but the battle scenes really do not really occur until TT. Jackson just bumped up the action in FOTR 100 times instead of developing the characters. And it looks like the DVD will be just more of the same action sequences - just extended out even further.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-16-2002, 07:40 PM   #25
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think Jackson just dramatized a lot of what Tolkein wrote concerning the battles. It took up a disproportionate percentage of the movie, but was necessary to show what happened, since that was the direction Jackson wanted to take. In the book Tolkein had no need to relay each and every detail ("blood poured forth.." and so on). It sufficient to tell what happened, but not describe the bloody death of every orc.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:47 PM   #26
jerseydevil

Nazgul

As I said before I knwo no one wants me to get this into a slam Jackson's movie thread. But take the troll in Moria for instance. In the book it doesn't even enter the room. The Fellowship basically just escapes without a lot of fighting going on.

Jackson's increased the action to make it appeal to the lowest common denominator movie goer. It seems that what the DVD will have is just more of the same if it'll have to be bumped up to an R rating.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-16-2002, 08:34 PM   #27
olsonm
Elf Lord

There is no indication that the majority of the extra footage in the DVD will be fight scenes. As far as I know there will be short extension to the Moria and Amon Hen scenes. Of course, I don't know this for a fact.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:45 PM   #28
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
I totally agree. I don't mind violence, but character development is definitely more important.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 10:41 PM   #29
jerseydevil

Nazgul

The one thing I hope the DVD includes is Frodo going off on his own to decide whether to go east or west and Boromir going to follow him. I know extra was filmed because there are many pictures of Frodo lying on the head of the fallen statue. In the movie that was cut - so hopefully that whole scene will be included.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-16-2002 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:49 PM   #30
TinuvielChild
Padawan

*hoping against hope that the DVD additions will not just be blood and guts* probably will be anyway - i don't care. *shrugs amiably*

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 10:52 PM   #31
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Thanks, jerseydevil. I agree with the whole LotR not being a violent series theory. I think the characters' emotions and all the old lore are much, much more important. But if only THEY were added, why is rumored to be R? No, I think they are adding more violence. Which is not necessary...but, oh well.If they do add more book scenes, I want Bombadil back!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:10 PM   #32
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I jus thought of something (first time for everything!) Maybe the DVD extra scenes are R rated cause PJ put Tom Bombadil in as a surprise and the hobbits run around naked.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:56 PM   #33
jerseydevil

Nazgul

I doubt that the casting of Tom Bombadil would have been able to be kept a secret. I had thought that maybe they had filmed some Bombadil sceneswhen they'd gone back to New Zealand.

Tom Bombadil does not look promising though.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-17-2002, 11:42 PM   #34
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
COME ON peoples. We've been THROUGH this. It's a MOVIE. NOT the books. How EXCITING can it be if it is word for word PERFECT? WHY GO TO LOTR IN THEATER IF YOU HAVE IT AT HOME IN BOOK FORM?! There NEEDED to be some changes JERSEYDEVIL, it couldn't be the book, so maybe we could get used to that fact? PLEASE!
Why does it matter if the troll goes to Timbucktoo or stays out side the chamber of whatchamacallit. WHY should it matter? I can see flipping over more Arwen battle scenes but flipping over some small minute change in the movie(like the troll attacking the company) that doesn't align EXACTLY with the book is aboslutly and totally ABSURD!
Ok now that I'm don rantin' and ravin'. I saw Gladiator and LAUGHED my head off. It was thourouly enjoyable those battle scenes BUT I CANNOT STAND the sex scene in Titanic. Is'nt that strange? Hmmm.
The changes that will be added into the DVD that were cut will be the scenes in the Midgewater Marshes(the poor hobbits are up to their necks in water and mud), the gift giving scenes, the battle before the Fellowship enters Lorien(there's this kind of funny part in my movie about LOTR where this orc arrow head straight for Aragorn, he moves. Then you see Merry Duck and then there goes Pippin. It's cute.), and a few others. I am SURE there is nothing to worry about.
Oh and one other thing. The movie is coming out in MAY!On video and normal DVD. The one with the cut scenes will be coming on AUGUST 9TH!!!!YAHOOOOO!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Far as I'm concerned that scene in Gone with the wind was perfectly logical and...LOGICAL. He was her HUSBAND!It wasn't like they hadn't slept together and he was doing somethig they hadn't done before. And Scarlett was a spoiled little whiny wimpy little brat. She may have been a southern belle but she was a BRAT and I agree with whoever said she wanted whatshisface to do that. It was a punishment for Scarlett and as far as I'M concerned she got what she deserved and he had the RIGHT to do it.
Ok I'll shut up now.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 11:50 PM   #35
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Hey - Sam I wasn't expecting a word for word copy of the book. But I wasn't expecting an action movie either. Just because LOTR was made into a movie doesn't automatically mean that Jackson did a flawless job with it.

I personally would have probably have left out most of the Tom Bambadil stuff too. Along with a lot of other things. But a lot of the changes that Jackson DID make - make no sense.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-17-2002 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:34 PM   #36
olsonm
Elf Lord

Just heard that it's rated PG-13.

edit: dern emplynx.....why didn't I think to make it a thread.

Last edited by olsonm : 04-23-2002 at 12:16 AM.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 09:08 PM   #37
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Extended Cut Will Be PG-13 in USA!

Not R rated as rumored!

http://www.filmratings.com/
Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring Special Extended Edition, The (2002)
New Line Home Entertainment
PG-13 Rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences and some scary images.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 10:54 PM   #38
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Haha! YES! I can actually watch it! They must not have added enough extra violence to trip the scales. I'm so happy.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 11:44 PM   #39
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
YES!*If she were limber enough would do a backflip* I am so HAPPY!*Kisses Emplynx on the cheek*THANK YOU for the happy tidings THANK YOU!
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:21 AM   #40
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Yes, good news indeed. Since I have little kids, it'll be nice I won't have to fast forward through everything. (I know, I should only watch it after they're asleep -- fat chance)
But I noticed something upsetting on the website- the VHS version doesn't come with all the extra features, etc that the DVD will have. And I'm darned if I'll buy a DVD player. Not fair.
It's a good bet TT and RotK will be PG-13 also.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote