Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-06-2002, 10:24 AM   #21
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Irelend, yep, definitely. I was there in '85. There's a place in the Wicklow mountains, called St. Steven's Kitchen, that is an ideal Rivendell. (I can't think of the proper name) In the west of Ireland there's an area called the Burren that reminded me of the Emyn Muil, and many, many open fields that reminded me of the fields of Rohan. They do raise some fine horses there.

The Great Smokeys in Tenessee look just like the Misty Mountains.

In may back-yard there's a very old male mulberry tree that has huge groping roots and a nasty, old gnarled trunk that you would swear has a face. I call him Old Man Mulberry after you-know-who. Yes, he is male. Mulberrys have male and female plants. *Rambling a bit* His wife lives at the other end of the yard, and she produces some nice, sweet fruit every June. She's so tall, I can't harvest enough for wine, and the birds get to them so quickly. *Getting hungry*

Great thread.

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 03-06-2002 at 10:28 AM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 11:06 AM   #22
rainbow
Enting

personally i think our local woods look a bit like the woods outside hobbiton! they r rather freaky with lots of dead trees and leaves!!!!

BANANERISM RULES!!!!!

the spotty dog chases its tail till all its spots fall off!
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:05 PM   #23
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

The forest around my house is really creepy and stuffy like Mirkwood. And I think I saw a black squirrel once....
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 09:26 PM   #24
Khadrane
Elf Lord

My school seems supiciously like Mordor...

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 09:59 PM   #25
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Emyn Muil...I'm having a blank on that one. There's so many names running around in my head...Lo siento, pero no hay nada que puedo hacer! (heehee...that's my favorite spanish phrase.)

-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 10:06 PM   #26
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Emyn Muil is the sharp rocky region Sam and Frodo had to go through right after crossing the Anduin near the falls when the split up with the rest of the fellowship.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 03-06-2002 at 10:07 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 10:17 PM   #27
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

OHHH, right. I remember now. Thanks, Arathorn! Yes, I definetly agree....the Burren is very Emyn Muil-ish.
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 03-07-2002, 02:36 AM   #28
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

About forests in the Northwestern US...like in the Olympics, and up in Canada...VERY Fangornish... I rememver finding a big waterfall-sorta thing with TONS of moss and stuff, Tano, do you remember? at Harrison? And the rest of the surrounding area was very ME-ish. And since I live somewhere rather surrounded by mountains, I keep pointing at random mountains and calling them Caradras...I'm sure If I did that anywhere near my dad, he would tell me its real name.
But another place, I was backpacking out on the Olympic coast, and we went to get water from a stream nearby, when it was pretty early in the morning, so it was kinda dark, and my friend Alex said it looked like the pool in front of the Moria Gate. We also thought it could be the dwelling of the Forest Spirit from Princess Mononoke (if you haven't seen that movie, get it! Now!)

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:00 PM   #29
The White Rider
Hobbit

Part of Jerusalem is called Moria ... the freaky thing is that it looks like it!
Old 03-07-2002, 01:01 PM   #30
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I'm sure that the New York subway is Moria. Just substitute homeless for the fallen dwarves and gang members for orcs. Maybe the trains are Balrogs or cave trolls.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:20 PM   #31
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I'm sure at least East Jerusalem is like Moria.....overcrowded by Orcs, but the Balrog is in Ramallah....

Up here in Colorado we have a lot of places which make me think of Middle-Earth:

Ered Nimrais (White Mountains): Sangre de Cristo mountain range.

Hithaeglir (Misty Mountains): San Juan mountain range

Mount Mindolluin: Pikes Peak

Lothlorien: Crowe Gulch (white-trunked aspens, their leaves whispering like a chorus of elven voices, peaceful isolation)

Emyn Muil: Parts of Rocky Mountain National Park near St Mary Glacier; the Wet Mountains and ride from Westcliffe back through Canyon City)

Anduin from Lothlorien to Emyn Muil: Las Animas River valley behind the Needle Mountains (San Juan Mts)

Mordor: Anything east of Powers Drive.....

Fangorn Forest: Mad Woman Gulch (San Juan Mts)

Ithilien: Colorado River valley

Caradhras and Silvertine: Mount Massive and Mount Elbert

Also:
Mirkwood - Big Thicket, East Texas
Dead Marshes: Atchafalaya River Basin, southern Louisiana
Mordor (again): Anything in Texas west of Fredericksburg
Taur-na-Fuin: Louisiana pine forests

Wish my scanner was working so I could show some pics....a few are at my website http://www.geocities.com/bropous64/
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 03-07-2002 at 01:23 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 03:37 PM   #32
Bill Ferny
Sapling

I saw an Ent once. Actually, several. My family was up in the White mountains and There were these ents. They had actually all gone kind of tree-ish though. Anyway, the name of one of them was Methuselah. He was supposed to be the oldest living thing on the planet, which makes me think he's an Ent.
Bill Ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 03:53 PM   #33
Cirdan

I heard a whole moot of them one time. The frequency they speak to one another in must be down around 5- 8 Hz. I may have swallowed too much entmead
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-09-2002, 01:24 PM   #34
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Treebeard

I LIVE AMONG THE BARROW-DOWNS! TOM BOMBADIL, WHERE ARE YOU!?!?

We used to have an Isengard down the road as well but then the Ents (a.k.a demolishers) knocked it down!

Across the valley (I live in the Valley of Rivendell! *does a weird little happy dance*) there's a town with a street called ...

Moria Road!!!

Moria probably means something in Welsh, but I dunno and I don't wanna know!

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:28 PM   #35
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Treebeard

There are some trees across the road from that I will swear are Ents!!

They move when the wind doesn't blow, they are over 14 feet high, and in the winter, their faces appear in a strange, cold, white substance that could be snow, but we all know the truth!

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 03:57 PM   #36
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Wouldn't it be nice if you could post pictures of these places?
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 11:17 PM   #37
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

well, we could post pics....but you run into the size problem. anyone with websites, PLEASE post pics, i'd really love to see em...I'll try to. and if you don't have one...well, I dunno...but i'd like to see em somehow!
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 03-10-2002, 11:30 PM   #38
Cirdan

I've got a sight doing nothing. I can set them up. Just email me with the attached pic + text you want. I'll post the link periodically once it's ready.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-10-2002, 11:31 PM   #39
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Cirdan, you are a god!
One back for you, then....I'm working on the ykylttm stuff...
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 03-11-2002, 12:49 AM   #40
Ararax
Elven Warrior

where do you think the planes that dissappear in the bermuda triangel go?