Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-09-2001, 11:08 PM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by fireworks19
I don't appreciate your comment about age, Sister. In fact, I strongly dislike it when anyone tries to use that trump card. Its unfair to automaticly assume that ANYONE is ignorant or naive simply because they have not been around very long.
I never said anyone was naive or ignorant. Also, it is not a trump card. The longer you live, the more you learn. That is a fact.
Quote:
[i] Your simple apology would have been more than enough, but you had to continue, and that's the part that bothers me.[/B]
You should go back and re-read. You continued after I appoligized, and as I said to you and Darth, it was not good enough. I only replied to your responses.

Quote:
[i]And in reference to THAT...I titled this thread such as it is for the purpose of weeding out comment like that. There really was no reason for you to reply if you weren't interested. [/B]
As I said, I try to read all posts. Just because you word it as such, does not mean it will be treated as such.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 01:15 AM   #22
anduin
Entwife

I don't care about your personal life, but I honestly felt compelled to read this thread. It is true that nothing on the net is personal...nothing. It is the nature of the beast. In fact, titling a thread as such only provokes someone to read it.

I am glad that you two got back together, nothing is more satisfying than that. But the fact that you broke up and then almost immediatly got back together again is not too suprising honestly. In the heat of a breakup your immediate feeling is that it is hopelessly over. But you knew that it wasn't really....didn't feel like it, right?

On to different matters....

Sister apologized a least twice before you rejected her apology. I don't think that she meant to be cruel or anything, just speaking her mind. Perhaps because you were upset with the events of your personal life you took those feelings out on her. Misunderstandings happen...especially on the net.

And as for the age differences....wisdom only comes with age/experience. To say otherwise is just folly.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 01:21 AM   #23
anduin
Entwife

I don't care about your personal life, but I honestly felt compelled to read this thread. It is true that nothing on the net is personal...nothing. It is the nature of the beast. In fact, titling a thread as such only provokes someone to read it.

I am glad that you two got back together, nothing is more satisfying than that. But the fact that you broke up and then almost immediatly got back together again is not too suprising honestly. In the heat of a breakup your immediate feeling is that it is hopelessly over. But you knew that it wasn't really....didn't feel like it, right?

On to different matters....

Sister apologized a least twice before you rejected her apology. I don't think that she meant to be cruel or anything, just speaking her mind. Perhaps because you were upset with the events of your personal life you took those feelings out on her. Misunderstandings happen...especially on the net.

And as for the age differences....wisdom only comes with age/experience. To say otherwise is just folly.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:46 AM   #24
Darth Tater
The man

Sister, don't you think it's interesting that you're the only one who's critized fireworks for starting this thread?
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 12:05 PM   #25
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Wisdom does come with age and experience. I may not have the age, but I do have the experience. I've been through a lot in my 16 years.

Perhaps I may have taken out my feelings on Sister, and for that I apologize. I didn't mean to.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:07 PM   #26
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
Sister, don't you think it's interesting that you're the only one who's critized fireworks for starting this thread?
Ineresting? No. And, I did not critisise her for starting this thread. I wish people would read more thoroghly. Go back and you will see that I told her she had a lot of courage for posting such a personal thing, after the beating Tess took for doing the same thing.

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair : 12-10-2001 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:16 PM   #27
Reverie
Enting

I haven't posted for some time, but this caught my attention. I agree with Anduin that a thread who's title includes the words "Don't read unless...." or something similar is naturally provoctive.
Anyway the reason I posted this was to say that if someone's fairly benign comment of a statement that was posted for anyone to see causes this much of a ruckus, then maybe the offended parties need thicker skin.
Btw, what is so d*mnable about hurt feelings? I just don't get it. When there are 300 some-odd members on this board, there's going to be friction. As long as it's not a hateful, personal attack you stand up, brush yourself off and move on. I don't want to alarm anyone, but there are a lot of mean and evil people out there who would say and do things much more offensive than SGH did!
I s'pose perspective along with thicker skin would be ideal!
In closing, if I've offended anyone, you guessed it, I'm not sorry and I promise not to whine if you offend me.
Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 05:24 PM   #28
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

No offence intended Sister Golden Hair, but I believe it’s pretty ignorant to say that the age is proportional to the intelligence of someone.

Quote:
he longer you live, the more you learn.
It doesn't really have anything to do with everything.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 05:41 PM   #29
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
You know what I find funny

The fact that a simple thread like this can cause a discussion, a big one about whether or not to allow posts on our personal hurts and joys into the forum. Funny.
Hugs fireworks AGAIN.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 06:00 PM   #30
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

I think you're right Sammy, and thanks for the Huggles. =)

I think we've all been a little childish, myself included. I do, how ever, want to hear peoples views on what this thread has morhped into...age and intelligence.

It has always bothered me that some adults and even people just slightly older than I am take the immediate stance that my friends and I must be inexperienced in the ways of the world. If you were to take the childhoods(so far; yes I understand I still have some growing up to do) of my friends and I, you get a veritable(sp; is that a word, even?) soap opera of screw ups and let downs, many of which are too personal for even me to post here.
The way I act based on my experiences with with my childhood to date often makes people who haven't met me in person, such as yourselves or random people in a chat room, think that I am much older. I've gotten as old as 29.
(Conversly, people that meet me IRL think I'm younger based on my looks. Go figure!)

Does anyone else have this problem? Or had it? Any comments?
Old 12-10-2001, 07:30 PM   #31
Darth Tater
The man

Ppl have thought I was in my fiftees.
Old 12-10-2001, 07:46 PM   #32
anduin
Entwife

CBG said:

Quote:
No offence intended Sister Golden Hair, but I believe it’s pretty ignorant to say that the age is proportional to the intelligence of someone.
I don't think that she said that anywhere. You are right, she did say, "The longer you live the more you learn". But it was you that read it as "age is proportional to intelligence".
Old 12-10-2001, 08:01 PM   #33
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
. I do, how ever, want to hear peoples views on what this thread has morhped into...age and intelligence.
Way back, when I first starte posting on the MEO boards, the developers (of MEO) had been fired. When I introduced myself, Inolondil (ranadwelt then) thought I was one of them. I was, uh, quite rude to him. ]: )
Old 12-10-2001, 11:22 PM   #34
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
Ppl have thought I was in my fiftees.
I thought you were at least 20! People have thought I was old, too, though...even here!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 11:36 PM   #35
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy

It doesn't really have anything to do with everything.
I never said that age was propotional to the intelligence of someone. This is the second time now that words have been put in my mouth. I told fireworks that if she were older, that she probably wouldn't wish to express such a personal thing in such a public way. That is hardly implying anything relating to or stating any such thing about intelligence. Do you disagree that as you grow older you learn more and experience more?
Old 12-11-2001, 05:09 PM   #36
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
he longer you live, the more you learn.
Your statement above speaks for itself.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 06:08 PM   #37
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Its all right, Fireworks, you're a teenager, and they have lots of emotions. As a general rule, wisdom does grow with age. I think its better not to say your age, so preconceptions are not formed. I would want not to be judged on age, no matter what age I was.
Just remember that even though most adults are wiser, no one holds all the answers.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:50 PM   #38
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
How funny I thought of Tater being in his sixties. I kind of had a small suprise when I read his profile, LOL.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:51 PM   #39
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy

Your statement above speaks for itself.
So what's your point?
Old 12-12-2001, 11:09 AM   #40
Darth Tater
The man

Why do people think I'm old?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

Sister, I'd say CBG's point for him, but I'm an admin so I have to be good