Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-01-2001, 01:26 AM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Inoldonil
I knew you didn't dislike all related to Thingol, or you would not like Finrod. I was trying to get across the point that kinship does not necessarily have anything to do with character. You said 'I don't see how my hero [Finrod] grew into such a great guy with all that bad blood.' Obviously you meant it as a kind of joke, but I assumed some authentic feeling behind the comment. Considering his relations, you must be bewildered by the entire family with such a view. Or you should be, I know you aren't. Thus my post was also a suggestion of mine that you should choose your words more carefully.
If you noticed the smilies, you would have known I was not serious. I suggest you read more carefully.

Quote:
[i]Yes, Orodreth as Finrod's nephew was the same person (but his name became Arothir). The only thing that was changed about him was his place in a genealogical table, which might tell you something. [/B]
What is it that you seem to think I'm missing?
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 11:37 AM   #22
Lord_Ov_The_Thunder
Sapling

Gandalf Hated!!!

I hated most all the sons of Feanor except Maedhros and Maglor, then Feanor i didn't really hate but i disliked him a bit!!! for all this is from behind his deeds!! then comes Maeglin and then Gollum
Be aware the storm gets closer.
Lord_Ov_The_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 04:29 PM   #23
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
If you noticed the smilies, you would have known I was not serious. I suggest you read more carefully.
You may have missed part of what I said: 'Obviously you meant it as a kind of joke, but I assumed some authentic feeling behind the comment.'

Quote:
What is it that you seem to think I'm missing?
See paragraph above where you made a comment about smilies.
Old 09-01-2001, 06:00 PM   #24
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:

You may have missed part of what I said: 'Obviously you meant it as a kind of joke, but I assumed some authentic feeling behind the comment.'
The key word is assumed. However, how I meant it was in jest only. How you take it is up to you. I think I made it clear. Therefore I see no problem with the words I chose.

Quote:
[i]See paragraph above where you made a comment about smilies. [/B]
So, the answer is, I missed nothing. Now I am pushing your buttons.
Old 09-01-2001, 06:12 PM   #25
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Thinking there was some real feeling behind the jest, my points were mainly that kinship has nothing to do with character and that since you didn't fully mean or understand what you said you should choose your words more carefully. But that's all void now, as I see you were completely joking. Fine, you've ruined my fun
Old 09-01-2001, 06:19 PM   #26
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Thinking there was some real feeling behind the jest, my points were mainly that kinship has nothing to do with character and that since you didn't fully mean or understand what you said you should choose your words more carefully. But that's all void now, as I see you were completely joking. Fine, you've ruined my fun
awwwwww poor baby It will be ok. We'll just find something else to debate about. OK?
Old 09-03-2001, 01:18 AM   #27
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Kinship doesn't really determine character. I mean Ar-Pharazon was a jerk, even though he was descended from Elros (or was he? the family tree isn't very well remembered by me). And nearly all the people of Marach became Black Numenoreans.

I dislike King Earnur of Gondor, of all the Dunadan Kings. He squandered away his life, knowing perfectly well he had no heir and there was no one else of Royal Blood for the succession.
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 12:43 PM   #28
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by easterlinge
And nearly all the people of Marach became Black Numenoreans.
Well, I think you're wrong there. The black Numenoreans were from the southern setlements on ME that the Numenoreans made after Sauron corrupted them. Maybe Marach's people mixed with them though?

I'm an Elven Warrior now!

Last edited by Finmandos12 : 09-03-2001 at 12:46 PM.
Finmandos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 09:46 PM   #29
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
We'll just find something else to debate about. OK?

Yes, Tar-Calion was descended from Elros. All the Rulers of Númenórë were.

Finmandos, he is right about the Black Númenóreans. They were primarily Marachians who had settled on the southern coasts. Many did mingle with the Haradrim down there. I don't think there were very many next by the time the War of the Ring took place.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:04 PM   #30
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:

Yes, Tar-Calion was descended from Elros. All the Rulers of Númenórë were.
No, something else. Elven stuff maybe.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:04 PM   #31
Gandalf
Hobbit

I utterly dislike The Witch King for hurting my poor Eowyn. NO ONE TOUCHES MY EOWYN (aye, Eowyn is my girlfriend's (nick)name).

And of course I detest Saruman's men for hurting those poor ents .
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 09:56 AM   #32
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

I didn't like Merry and Pippin. It seemed to me like they were put in the story for the sake of putting them in. It would have been more interesting if Merry was a female as I originally thought, I mean four dull male hobbits... Tolkien could have had Merry and Pippin...awwwww...and yes, I never caught up with the hobbits' humour. Hmm yep, I didn't laugh at all in LoTR

I also didn't like Boromir at all. From when I first read his name that he joined the Council of Elrond, I knew he was going to cause treachery.
Selwythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 12:00 PM   #33
Gandalf
Hobbit

Boromir didn't betrail anyone. He was merely attracted by the power of the Ring.

More females indeed would have been nice indeed, but I honestly can't think of many fantasy books where females get a bigger role than in LOTR ... after all Eowyn killed the Witch King ...
But I suppose you're right.

- Bram
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 01:24 PM   #34
sheelova
Sapling

What about Ulfang and his brother? The people that were the deciding factors in the Battle of Unnummered Tears, The fifth one. That's has alway really made me mad, because it was the last great assembly of elves and men in the first age ( aside from when the Valar came to help). The book says that the elves would have won the day had it not been for their turning on the elves.
sheelova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 07:12 PM   #35
Sakata
Elven Warrior

I didnt like Boromir, Gimli wasnt that great either

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 08:14 PM   #36
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

I loath those filthy Easterlings of Ulfang's tribe....(Not Bor though, he was a true friend.)
Old 09-20-2001, 11:31 PM   #37
fatclown
Hobbit

Bill the pony, god how self centered can you get? I mean realy, he is always demanding that one member of the fellowship help him. And who is he to get scared while the watcher attacks? He isn't even FAST! god what a despicable animal, really pissed me off.

J/k hahahahaa!
fatclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 11:51 PM   #38
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Sorta reminds me of Bombur...That fat arse...

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 06:41 PM   #39
olorin7
Hobbit

am i the only one who really dislikes feanor? sure he created many great things but he was a total hot head. he never thought anything out and disobeyed the valar.
olorin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 07:58 PM   #40
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by olorin7
am i the only one who really dislikes feanor? sure he created many great things but he was a total hot head. he never thought anything out and disobeyed the valar.
No. I don't think you're the only one. He is the obvious character to dislike, but he had a way about him. Smart, crafty, and handsome, but what good is that after he did so many terrible things. He was a hell of an Elf.