Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2004, 10:45 AM   #21
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Theoden

Sauron corrupted the Seven just as he did the Nine, but they had different effects on Men than on Dwarves. There is no evidence that the Seven gave invisibility, though we know the Nine did. Also, the Dwarves were not enslaved like Men much to Sauron's disgust. They were able to pass them along from father to son, and that is alone a notable thing, as we know how hard that was for any of the Great Rings, except, of course, the Elven ones. The power of the Elven Rings was to preserve the area of Middle-earth where the Bearer dwelt as if it were in the First Age, and that mattered tremendously to the Elves, who were sorriful that so much that they loved withered and passed away. It should not be a surprise that the Rings had differing effects on the three kindreds, since they all had different natures.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:46 AM   #22
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Not really because then Gimli & all the other Dwarves (bar one) would be dead.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:47 PM   #23
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Not really because then Gimli & all the other Dwarves (bar one) would be dead.
Sorry, don't get your point.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:56 PM   #24
Telcontar_Dunedain

I was posting at the same time as you so I didn't see your post until I had posted!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-25-2004, 02:57 PM   #25
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
Sauron corrupted the Seven just as he did the Nine, but they had different effects on Men than on Dwarves. There is no evidence that the Seven gave invisibility, though we know the Nine did.
Tolkien stated that the Nine and the Seven all conferred the power of invisibility upon their wearers. He only distinguished the Three by saying they did not grant such power.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:57 PM   #26
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
There is no evidence that the Seven gave invisibility, though we know the Nine did. Also, the Dwarves were not enslaved like Men much to Sauron's disgust.
Does it ever say that the nine quite clearly allowed as a power invisibility. Or was it a consequence to the use of them for many ages!? Not to mention invisibility is something that is subject to the living, the nine were refered to as not living nor dead. They were not invisible persay, they were "Wraith'd" I don't think personaly any of the rings, save the one ring could allow for invisibility. As far as the dwarven rings, escept for the gold lust I don't know of any real powers they had. Yet the dwarves were a sturdy folk. Amazingly enough folk of Aule*, as many already know. This was why they did not fall under the power of the one, Tolkien said this clearly(not sure where) that the dwarves proved to stout harded and sturdy to be ruled by another. Furthermore I remember reading that only four of the seven had been recaptured by Sauron, I think Unfinished Tales. The others were destroyed by the dragons.

*note: Sauron was a maia of Aule and so was Saruman, who bothb turned to evil. Yet dwarves, people of Aule, were to stout hearted to turn to evil.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen

Last edited by Halbarad of the Dunedain : 08-25-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:51 PM   #27
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

By Eru, people here are so helpful and informative. THanks so much for this wonderful information! I havent gotten around to reading everything yet. Stupid summer reading is stopping me. Curse that Summer Reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 04:17 PM   #28
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
Does it ever say that the nine quite clearly allowed as a power invisibility. Or was it a consequence to the use of them for many ages!?
In one of his letters, Tolkien stipulated that the Seven and the Nine conferred the ability to render invisible visible things, and to render visible invisible things (among other powers).

The Nazgul became permanently invisible because their bodies faded as a consequence of their long-term use of the Rings. They were turned into wraiths. It was Sauron's hope that the Dwarves would also be turned into wraiths, but the Rings were incapable of rendering the Dwarves invisible. Hence, Sauron's plan failed with the Dwarves. Had he given those Rings to Elves or Men, he would have had seven more wraiths in the end.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:20 PM   #29
Haradrim

Oh i disagree. i dont think the elves would have turned even if they had the nine. THey too were very strong willed. I highly doubt elves could become wraiths by any of the seven
Old 08-25-2004, 04:23 PM   #30
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Oh i disagree. i dont think the elves would have turned even if they had the nine. THey too were very strong willed. I highly doubt elves could become wraiths by any of the seven
The Elves took the Rings off when they detected Sauron and the One because they feared exactly that kind of fate.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #31
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yet they didn't take them off for Galadriel wore her Ring.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:50 PM   #32
Haradrim

I dont understand youre last post T.D.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:52 PM   #33
Telcontar_Dunedain

Which one, the one I just did?

Old 08-25-2004, 05:07 PM   #34
Haradrim

yes that one abotu Galadriel. I think you have word missing and it must b improtant cuz I cant undrstand what is being written there.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:09 PM   #35
Telcontar_Dunedain

Don't think so. Well what it's meant to say is that not all the elves took their Rings off when they saw Sauron's intentions for Galadriel wore her Ring during WotR.

Old 08-25-2004, 05:48 PM   #36
Haradrim

okay thanks now I know what you meant and I didnt remember that.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:08 PM   #37
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Yet they didn't take them off for Galadriel wore her Ring.
Actually they all, even Galadriel, removed their rings while Sauron was in power. Only after his first downfall did the elves put their rings back on. Not to mention Galadriel was not the only one who wore her ring at that point, she was just the only one to reveal it to Frodo before the end of the War of the Ring. Afterwards Gandalf the Maia showed his ring of fire. Elrond wore his ring at the time of The War of the Ring but never actually showed it(or did he?) Only while the one ring was in Saurons hand did the elves remove their rings. This is to say that I agree that the elves would not become wraiths, they would have removed the lesser seven as they did the much greater three!

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #38
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Actually, I don't think Galadriel had a Ring back then. Only the Elves of Eregion had - and Galadriel has already gone to Lorien back then, through Khazad Dum. Niether did Elrond have one, or Cirdan. Celebrimbor did, and I think it's said in UT that he was the one who felt Sauron.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:29 AM   #39
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Martinez
The Elves took the Rings off when they detected Sauron and the One because they feared exactly that kind of fate.
Wasn't it also because they sensed that Sauron with assistance of the One Ring could read their minds and lay all their thoughts and secrets bare if they wore their Rings? This is also indicated by Galadriel when she reveals Nenya to Frodo I think.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:35 AM   #40
Haradrim

Wouldnt that be interesting if there were the 3 elven wraiths, the nine human wraiths, and the 7 dwarven wraiths. That would have been an interesting story. A littl emore like Robert Jordan perhaps and probably nowehere near as good but it would have been pee your pants funny