Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-25-2005, 02:51 AM   #21
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
theres a number of logical inconsistencies that you could point out because of the very nature of the story line (why were there never any rangers or whoever entering the compound if it was an animal sanctuary exactly? just to take readings and check things out.)
I can explain that one because I had that same thought. I didn't catch the explanation until the second time I saw it. Remember Ivy's dad telling her that her grandfather was a very rich man and that if you gave him $5, he'd have $10 at the end of two weeks (or something like that). Their last name is Walker. Notice at the end of the movie when she comes out of the woods and meets the ranger that his Jeep says "Walker Preserve" on the side or something along those lines. My conclusion is that because Mr. Walker inherited his father's money and put forth the idea that they try the "experiment", they're all living on land that he bought. I remember having an "Oh... ok" moment when I realized that.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:32 AM   #22
Millane
The Dude

i only just watched this movie the other day. well my only thought is its proof that a bunch of incredible actors cant make a poor story into a great movie.
Poor Brendan Gleeson, why did one of my favourite actors have to partake in such a poor film
Old 01-25-2005, 01:40 PM   #23
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
I can explain that one because I had that same thought. I didn't catch the explanation until the second time I saw it. Remember Ivy's dad telling her that her grandfather was a very rich man and that if you gave him $5, he'd have $10 at the end of two weeks (or something like that). Their last name is Walker. Notice at the end of the movie when she comes out of the woods and meets the ranger that his Jeep says "Walker Preserve" on the side or something along those lines. My conclusion is that because Mr. Walker inherited his father's money and put forth the idea that they try the "experiment", they're all living on land that he bought. I remember having an "Oh... ok" moment when I realized that.
wow we had that exact same thought actually. In fact on the IMDb message board for the movie I posted:

Quote:
The only thing that bothered me was if it was an animal reserve why didnt rangers or whoever go in there periodically to check on things and take readings? I think a better scenario would have been to have it be owned by someone who lived on the outside but who was in on it and forbade trespassing of any sort. A rich philanthropist who maybe was interested in doing a kind of “unethical experiment” and who set up the whole thing very carefully physically and legally so there would be no worries for them in his life time and long after his death by will of his estate.
So if thats in fact what Shymalan did well I guess I have no complaints about it. But he didnt make that clear enough I dont think. It should have been pointed out in a more straight forward way somehow. His speech at the end about why planes never flied over seemed forced and didnt cover all the bases. We needed to like SEE the face of the wealthy Walker or was in on it. Maybe like a slow zoom in on a distinguised portrait in some board room somewhere while the explanation was going on so we could all be like ah.... I see....

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 01-25-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote