FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
If there is a problem why don't you change the name to:

The United States of North America, then.
Why should we change what we have been called for over two hundred years? I'm just trying as I said, since this multidude of countries that are in the N and S American continents are being called America, and the people in them are being called Americans, and the name American and America has as far as I know really only applied to the US, differentiate when the term is used. Sorry, but I just can't see any other country singing "God bless America," or that song being about any other country than the US. That's why I asked: "what does the American flag look like?"

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:20 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I don't mind it at all; in fact, I think it's kinda cute. And the big reason I don't mind it is that it was brought up first by a v. nice poster (Hemel) in a v. friendly manner.

Now some other posters have taken it and used it in a way that seemed to try to offend/provoke Americans on purpose, and I didn't like that. But those people try to use anything to offend others, which is pretty mean and petty and ridiculous.

Personally, I don't mind it being used in a nice way AT ALL, and I think it's fun and interesting to see what terms non-Americans come up with for Americans. And brownie has a great point - after all, our "long" name IS the United States of America, so it makes a great deal of sense to say USAmerican.

However, sadly, BoP also has a good point, and I can see why she decided to not use it anymore, since it irritates some people.

I guess Entmoot is like a person; it has "moods", and active times, and inactive times, and fun times, and sad times - we seem to be in a cranky, touchy mood lately. Perhaps the upcoming elections in the US have something to do with it; or perhaps it's just summer crankiness ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:25 PM   #23
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Why should we change what we have been called for over two hundred years? I'm just trying as I said, since this multidude of countries that are in the N and S American continents are being called America, and the people in them are being called Americans, and the name American and America has as far as I know really only applied to the US, differentiate when the term is used. Sorry, but I just can't see any other country singing "God bless America, or that song being about any other country than the US. That's why I asked: "what does the American flag look like?"
You're quite right. Many Europeans quite wrongly say Americans
when they only mean those living in the United States. And are the others really being called Americans. Aren't they called
for example, Bolivians, Columbians, Argentinians.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 07-06-2004 at 02:26 PM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:26 PM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

ps - I really, really, REALLY, REALLY enjoy my non-American friends on Entmoot, and it's been SO valuable and informative and fun to me to hear their viewpoints from their different cultures! There are a few rude, provoking ones out there, but there's some of those in EVERY country, unfortunately. I wish we could get them all to emigrate to the South Pole and be grumpy together, but that's not gonna happen

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 07-06-2004, 02:30 PM   #25
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
You're quite right. Many Europeans quite wrongly say Americans
when they only mean those living in the United States. And are the others really being called Americans. Aren't they called
for example, Bolivians, Columbians, Argentinians.
Bingo- That's exactly my point. The Canadians come from Canada. The Mexicans come from Mexico. The Americans come from...where?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 02:37 PM   #26
Beor
founder of the color blue

Quote:
origionally posted by Sister Golden Hair
The Americans come from...where?
I think they come in Happy Meals sometimes <at Beor
Old 07-06-2004, 03:12 PM   #27
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I'm assuming you mean the inhabitants of the USA . Well, we come from all over the world, since technically less than two percent of the population in this country is "native American."

I personally hail from Italy, Germany, Scotland and lots of countries in Eastern Europe.

So, am I Italiagermaczecholicthenscottidanimican? Hee hee. I am the muttiest of mutts when it comes to things like that.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #28
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I'm assuming you mean the inhabitants of the USA . Well, we come from all over the world, since technically less than two percent of the population in this country is "native American."

I personally hail from Italy, Germany, Scotland and lots of countries in Eastern Europe.

So, am I Italiagermaczecholicthenscottidanimican? Hee hee. I am the muttiest of mutts when it comes to things like that.
If you were born in the US, you are an American.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #29
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
If there is a problem why don't you change the name to:

The United States of North America, then.
or The United States of North America, but Under Canada and Above Mexico
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:23 PM   #30
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
I think they come in Happy Meals sometimes <at Beor
I think that you meant to say

Quote:
I think they come with Happy Meals sometimes <at Beor

I have heard people from other countries say "the states" when refering to the USA. (ie: How are things in the states?)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:30 PM   #31
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
I have heard people from other countries say "the states" when refering to the USA. (ie: How are things in the states?)
A lot of the people i hang out with say 'The States' when they refer to America. I think it is really just a Canadian thing

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:34 PM   #32
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
A lot of the people i hang out with say 'The States' when they refer to America. I think it is really just a Canadian thing
we say 'The States' or 'Stateside' alot over here in
merry ol' england, either that or 'over the pond' !!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #33
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
But countries like Mexico have states as well.

I remember stumbling across this obstacle in my Spanish class when we were discussing where you would say you where from if in a Spanish speaking country. Always United States of America...but I didn't have a very good Spanish teacher.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #34
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Hey, how about changing the name to Valinor and the people are Valinorians. I could live with that. After all, the US is in the west.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 03:39 PM   #35
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Hey, how about changing the name to Valinor and the people are Valinorians. I could live with that. After all, the US is in the west.
well in that case then, UK has to be changed to
Arnor, and the people can be High Men of the North!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:57 PM   #36
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Its a stupid term, no other nationality calls themselves Americans. I mean, its not like people call Canadians Canamericans. If people started to call me a Canamerican i would be pissed off too. I also find it wierd how that people are suddenly finding a need to say USAmerican rather than American.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #37
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I like USAmerican. Think it sounds better, for some reason. But perhaps I should start calling you Staties, sounds even better.

Hehe, Staties...
Old 07-06-2004, 04:18 PM   #38
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I like USAmerican. Think it sounds better, for some reason. But perhaps I should start calling you Staties, sounds even better.

Hehe, Staties...
Only if we get to call you 'Weejee'!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:03 PM   #39
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Alright boys and girls lets do the math....

United States of America

United States (my country) + of America (the continent) = U.S. Americans

Also note that by stating U.S. a person is defining the particular region of the American continent that the person is refering to. I think people use the term to avoid confusion.... it isn't suppose to be offensive or disrespectful. As I've said before, I don't have a problem with it.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:09 PM   #40
Rían

Hey, "Staties" is pretty cute! I've never liked "Yanks" as a term for Americans, it's so harsh-sounding, and also has other connotations with our Civil War. I like "Brits" for GB people, but "Yanks" just never sounded good.

I like the "over the pond" expression - typical Brit understated humor! Is "across the puddle" still used for Brit/Europe?