Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-19-2004, 11:19 AM   #21
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i've always been intrigued by the ring saruman made... when gandalf visits and he calls himself the 'ring-maker' and saruman of many colors

how about this... orthanc, mostly unoccupied for many ages has been plagued recently by reports of strange lights and spirit sightings... some speak in hushed voices of the return of it's former inhabitant

flash to hobbiton... one of sam's decendents is gardening out front of bag end, near the location of saruman's demise... she finds an interest ring while digging and when putting it on does not turn her invisible, but gives her a certain charisma... much like 'the voice of saruman'... in a short time she becomes very successful and takes the role of mayor... with the intentions of becoming ruler of the shire... and beyond... muhahaha! pushing once again for the type of technological and military advances saruman did ages before... with some resistance of course

meanwhile, the spirit of saruman grows in power and moves to make alliances with the forces of evil that still exist in middle-earth... along with planting spies in the major power centers of the age... gondor, rohan, the new moria, the woodelf kingdom

maybe even make it the 'redemption of radagast' to an extent... since he was left somewhat duped by saruman the first time around

an interesting side note would be to try to discover where saruman forged his ring, so that it could be destroyed... maybe somewhere deep in harad where the wandering radagast comes across his fellow blue wizards and finds that they have also been corrupted by the desire for power

ok, i'll stop now
Old 06-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #22
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Interesting idea
But one of the points of the story is that Gondor would fall again under the shadow (I guess Tolkien intended it that way to show how men are susceptible to corruption.
Anyway, I like the outline a lot with that dracula-like ressurection of Saruman. But I was hoping to reach Dagor Dagorath (the Last Battle); I mean, if Robert Jordan could write about Tarmon Gai'don and C. S. Lewis could describe the Last battle, then certainly a bunch of Tolkien fanatics wouldn't fall short of tayloring the story of Dagor Dagorath, would they?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:59 AM   #23
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

of course... jordan hasn't gotten around to it yet either
Old 06-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #24
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

But he says that the last book is gonna be about it, so...he pretty much intends to write it
Old 06-20-2004, 05:13 PM   #25
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'll believe it when i see it... i'm not quite sure there ever will be a last book

but i do get your point
Old 06-22-2004, 07:17 PM   #26
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Ok, to anyone of you interested in this project:
I'm travelling tomorrow; I'll try to write some chapters (hopefully) of my version of the sequel. I'll then post my writings here when I finish them. If any of you manage to write anything re this project, post it here so we can discuss which is better and which to elaborate on etc...