Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-17-2004, 11:28 PM   #21
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
Cheers to your Hubby i say
most likely they thought it would make them look tough in front of their friends, why they singled your husband out id never know, he was the guy in your picture yeah? doesnt seem the kinda person these little buggers would target
Yeah, he's the guy in my picture - the one with the .22 rifle, altho he didn't have it on him at the time I was kinda mystified why they picked him, too - I guess just because they were in a gang and they felt they could intimidate him and he just happened to be there when they felt like doing it.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:33 PM   #22
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Lets just say that I'm absolutely glad that I never went to public school after the fifth grade. I could have evolved into a punk!
But look at me now a mooter ...actually, a nice gentleman (of 16 years) in real life

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:35 PM   #23
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
The question is WHY don't these kids respect anyone anymore?????
I have a few ideas, but the evolution crowd wouldn't like them!

There were "rough kids" when I was growing up, but usually they confined it to other kids, and would respect pretty much any adult to at least some degree.

Now when the kids are in gangs, they even "take on" adults - and frankly, it's kinda scary, because you never know if they have guns or knives, which the kids back in my days didn't.

Gangs are cowardly, IMO. So there's six of you and you can beat up a homeless person? Big deal the only thing it says about you is that you're a coward and a bully.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-17-2004, 11:39 PM   #24
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
Group acceptance. They feel they are bigger than they really are. I hate that.
I hate any time a gang intimidates.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:40 PM   #25
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
not all adolescent males are "always snotty punks" ....
I agree, and that's why I asked for opinions here, because the vast majority of people here (of all ages, including adolescent males) are intelligent and nice. And I was hoping to get some insights from the younger Mooters.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:43 PM   #26
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Well maybe they were actually looking for a cop. for whatever reason. (its not unusual to have plain clothes cops in movie thearters frequented by teens and they know this). And it was done in a rather loud mouth rude way because he wanted to save face. Just a thought though.
But then why didn't he just say so when my husband asked him "why do you want to know?" If he was really looking for a cop, he would have said something then.

No, I think it was pretty safe to say he was not looking for a cop for any type of good reason.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:50 PM   #27
Rían

Re: Re: Young punks

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
I don't see what such a big deal is of asking him if he is a cop, ....
It's NOT a big deal to ask someone if they're a cop, if it's in a friendly tone. But it was the WAY he asked him - very in-your-face aggressive and sneering. Body language and tone of voice are about 80% of communication, I think. Can you imagine someone saying "I love you" to you, but with a disgusted tone of voice, rolling their eyes, and making certain hand gestures? Would you think they really loved you? I don't think so.

Quote:
He may of been honest in thinking he recognized him and wanted him to acknowledge him, thinking that he didn't know who he was talking to.
Then don't you think he would have just said so, when my husband turned around and talked to him?

Quote:
Expectations often cause people to overreact...
But how did they know what my husband was expecting? They can't read his mind.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:53 PM   #28
Rían

Re: Re: Young punks

Quote:
Originally posted by Andúril
Sminty, I think the point of the thread has to do with this part specifically:I've seen this type of thing happen. It always occurs when the kid in question is with other kids.

It pisses me off.
Yes, it's the gang psychology thing. My husband chose to ignore the first provocation, but when it was repeated, he dealt with it. And boy, did they change their tune. Talk about change of body language! They became almost respectful. What makes me really sad, tho, is I imagine they ended up getting someone else later on so they could "save face"

Old 04-17-2004, 11:55 PM   #29
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
By the way - speaking of punks - in NY there are a groups of teens that are attacking homeless people with stun guns. It's so senseless. They go up to homeless people who are sleeping and then stungun them.

My mistake it was Ohio - it's just on NY news.
That is SO pathetic. Talk about preying on the helpless

Old 04-18-2004, 12:05 AM   #30
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
That is SO pathetic. Talk about preying on the helpless
Yeah, how exactly do you get kicks from attacking someone who's helpless? With your husband, RÃ*an, he hardly appears defenceless (though why they decided to pick on him is nonetheless stupid), but with sleeping homeless people, it's like taking candy from a baby.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:10 AM   #31
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
Lets just say that I'm absolutely glad that I never went to public school after the fifth grade. I could have evolved into a punk!
But look at me now a mooter ...actually, a nice gentleman (of 16 years) in real life
I hope you are joking, because I think it has less to do with public school - than what it does with how parents expect one to act. If they expect you to act one way, and instill those values in you, and take steps when you go off that path - then going to public school will not have a negative impact in that regard. Also, are you a follower, a leader, your own person, do you find it necessary to prove yourself and so forth. All that has an affect on whether you will become punkish. Most punkishness is related to having to prove oneself better and above another person.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:24 AM   #32
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I agree....but I wasnt a good kid who listened to my parents then.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:40 AM   #33
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Rian m'dear, assuming you were as sweet a young lady as you are now, and didn't hang out with the kind of kids who would be like that; how do you know it wasn't the same when you were a kid?

You weren't an adult then for them to act that way towards, and if you didn't hang out with them, you wouldn't have seen them .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:47 AM   #34
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
Rian m'dear, assuming you were as sweet a young lady as you are now, and didn't hang out with the kind of kids who would be like that; how do you know it wasn't the same when you were a kid?

You weren't an adult then for them to act that way towards, and if you didn't hang out with them, you wouldn't have seen them .
All too true. Also a lot of times certain things didn't get talked about or reported much. It used to be that girls who got pregnant were hidden and hushed up. It doesn't mean it didn't happen - just that no one wanted to acknowledge certain things.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-18-2004, 12:49 AM   #35
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
oh but punks are delicious
Old 04-18-2004, 12:50 AM   #36
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar

Well, even in my younger days, I was allowed out in society and used my eyes and ears, and I saw that even the "tough kids" would for the most part obey a reasonable adult. I'm not talking about things done in secret; I'm talking about general attitudes in public places.

Last edited by Rían : 04-18-2004 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:55 AM   #37
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
oh but punks are delicious
Sminty, I don't care if a person has a tongue piercing or not - from your pictures, you have multiple piercings, but that has never stopped me from being friends with you. And to your credit, the fact that I am 44 and DON'T have multiple piercings (altho I do wear a toe ring - really cute!) hasn't stopped YOU from being friends with me.

What I do care about is a gang of people bullying and being rude to someone when they did NOTHING to provoke it, and to me, it seems like teens are doing it more often and on a larger scale (and I am talking about teens because that's what happened to us in this specific circumstance).

Last edited by Rían : 04-18-2004 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:57 AM   #38
jerseydevil

Quote:
Well, even in my younger days, I was allowed out in society and used my eyes and ears, and I saw that even the "tough kids" would for the most part obey an adult. I'm not talking about things done in secret; I'm talking about general attitudes in public places.
But do you live in the same environment now that you did then? I think a lot has to do with city pushing into suburb. I know that when there are problems at the theater I go to - it's because there are a lot of people from Trenton there. There were several episodes and it was all between inner city.

maybe it is worse today because the inner city attititude has become part of media and is influencing a lot of teenagers in the suburbs. There are any number of reasons it could be worse or just seem worse than it was before - but the fact is - this attitude has always been there in society.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-18-2004, 01:01 AM   #39
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
[B]But do you live in the same environment now that you did then? I think a lot has to do with city pushing into suburb. I know that when there are problems at the theater I go to - it's because there are a lot of people from Trenton there. There were several episodes and it was all between inner city.
I think it's very similar - basically suburbs. We're pretty far away from the city - prob. 50 miles or so.

Quote:
maybe it is worse today because the inner city attititude has become part of media and is influencing a lot of teenagers in the suburbs. There are any number of reasons it could be worse or just seem worse than it was before - but the fact is - this attitude has always been there in society.
Yes, I think you're right about the media. The attitude has always been there, but I (and apparently azalea, too) see it worsening significantly.

Old 04-18-2004, 03:41 AM   #40
Millane
The Dude

Re: Re: Re: Young punks

Quote:
Yes, it's the gang psychology thing. My husband chose to ignore the first provocation, but when it was repeated, he dealt with it. And boy, did they change their tune. Talk about change of body language! They became almost respectful. What makes me really sad, tho, is I imagine they ended up getting someone else later on so they could "save face"
or equally probable, they got someone later that would have no problem bashing a group of 15 year olds within an inch of their lives, sad but they brought it on themselves...
Quote:
Well, even in my younger days, I was allowed out in society and used my eyes and ears, and I saw that even the "tough kids" would for the most part obey a reasonable adult.]
yes because like above, these kids would probably have copped a few knocks if they didnt obey...
im not implying that we should all unite and beat young smart arses, before you all get angry about my "brutal tactics"