Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2003, 05:50 PM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Darn, I'd be v. interested to hear about the good side.
Gwaimir, I did try and find some stuff, but I must be remember wrong... maybe it wasn't a Polynesian society? (We covered a bit of this society in Social Anthropology 103, but I can't remember what they were called - only that they were dark skinned, and it starts with 'M'...) Oh well. I found this instead:
http://www.occ.cccd.edu/online/gholl...et11/index.cfm

Scroll about half way down the page for the Polygamy information. It's quite an interesting read.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:50 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
I love the "anyone who doesnt live like me is a moron" mentality its really quite amusing.
Yet you say, over on the gay and lesbian thread, that anyone that doesn't think like you (over half the population of the US, BTW) is "small-minded", right?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-19-2003 at 05:55 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:54 PM   #23
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
I saw a show on Tv last year about a Moron man who had 3 wives and was getting married to a fourth...
Yes, I think this was the typo that started it ... cracked me up!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-19-2003, 06:05 PM   #24
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
er... we COULD do that... but methinks it leads us right back down the same slope of slipperiness!
ok obviously my humor is a bit too twisted for this lot.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #25
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Yet you say, over on the gay and lesbian thread, that anyone that doesn't think like you (over half the population of the US, BTW) is "small-minded", right?
anyone who rationally can convince themselves that its ok to strip one type of people of a right that others have is small minded. yes. i dont believe i ever said EVERYONE has to live a multiple marriage. there you go with that subtle twisting thing again.

Old 11-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #26
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

BoP, HERE'S the quote I like from your link:

"They are our enemies and so we marry them."

We still do that TODAY! Or is it the reverse???

There was this one original Star Trek episode where Kirk & Co. beamed down to a planet. All the women lived in civilized fashion in subterranean cities. The men lived in a primitive state on the surface and referred to the women as "givers of pleasure and pain"... it was spoofed in a dream scene on "Wonder Years"... hilarious! What would cultural anthropology say about THAT one?
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:09 PM   #27
Valandil

Quote:
ok obviously my humor is a bit too twisted for this lot.
not at all... ergo my SMILIE!
Old 11-19-2003, 06:12 PM   #28
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
not at all... ergo my SMILIE!
Im just worried somebody is gonna pull that quote up 6 months from now in some thread out of context and suddenly it will be Insidious the mormon hater!

Old 11-19-2003, 06:14 PM   #29
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Polygamy is an interesting thing.. but notice its always the guy with many wives? Maybe he likes viriety, or maybe an orgy with some sense of legitmacy, after all, he is "married" to them all. ow about a case where a woman has several husbands? They are usually called sluts, but why is it there are no polygamist women?
Old 11-19-2003, 06:16 PM   #30
Rían

Quote:
[B]anyone who rationally can convince themselves that its ok to strip one type of people of a right that others have is small minded. yes.
But if it is something that the majority of people think is wrong for everyone to have, then it's not wrong, IMO. IOW, many people disagree that people have a RIGHT to define marriage to be whatever they want it to be.

A perfect example is how Arnold Schwarzenegger cannot run for President of the US. Did voters take away his right to do this? Yes - because they thought that the best interests of the country were served to say that presidents had to have been born here. And over half the people of the US think it's in the best interests of the country for marriage to be between a man and a woman.
But I suppose we should move this back over to the other thread!
Quote:
i dont believe i ever said EVERYONE has to live a multiple marriage. there you go with that subtle twisting thing again.
I think the "subtle twisting" was maybe in your imagination here - I'm not trying to twist anything, I'm trying to state what I think is logical. My only point was to point out how you talk one way on one issue, and another way on another issue.

Last edited by Rían : 11-19-2003 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:03 PM   #31
Daisy Baggins
Hobbit

Polyandry is the practice of women having more than one husband.

It could be argued that people who try to redefine an institution such as marriage to fit their personnal needs are small-minded and self-centered.
Daisy Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:49 PM   #32
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

Wow. This forum is sure interested in marriage... its almost like a canon lawyer convention.

--Dave
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan
Guillaume le Maréchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:53 PM   #33
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Yes, I think this was the typo that started it ... cracked me up!
LOL!!! Sorry guys! I meant Mormon and I won't call anyone a "moron" for having certain beliefs.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:58 PM   #34
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

what a moron

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:38 AM   #35
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
LOL!!! Sorry guys! I meant Mormon and I won't call anyone a "moron" for having certain beliefs.
It's OK... I once heard that a good marriage is "a union of two good forgivers"... and we might add "and apologizers"

Uh... I guess that goes double... if you're a polygamist!
Old 11-20-2003, 12:46 AM   #36
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
But if it is something that the majority of people think is wrong for everyone to have, then it's not wrong, IMO.
why is it you cant seem to grasp the idea that you CANT simply discriminate against a group of people (be they black or jewish or gay or all three for that matter) just because you don’t want them to have the same rights as you no matter HOW many of your friends and fellow citizens want to discriminate against them too.

Quote:
I think the "subtle twisting" was maybe in your imagination here - I'm not trying to twist anything, I'm trying to state what I think is logical. My only point was to point out how you talk one way on one issue, and another way on another issue.
the argument I am making is don’t discriminate against (or denigrate) certain groups of people based on cultural bias (as far as the discussion in this thread) or religious doctrine (from the gay thread). How is that talking too different ways? Seems pretty consistent to me. The day I start saying you HAVE to have a group marriage or a same sex marriage IF you want your marriage to be recognized as legitimate is the day I become inconsistent.

Old 11-20-2003, 02:24 AM   #37
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil, reference numbers added by RÃ*an
1. It's OK... I once heard that a good marriage is "a union of two good forgivers"... and we might add "and apologizers"

2. Uh... I guess that goes double... if you're a polygamist!
1. Great saying!

2. LOL!

Old 11-20-2003, 02:29 AM   #38
Rían

Quote:
why is it you cant seem to grasp the idea that you CANT simply discriminate against a group of people (be they black or jewish or gay or all three for that matter) just because you don’t want them to have the same rights as you no matter HOW many of your friends and fellow citizens want to discriminate against them too.
IRex, I CLEARLY grasp your argument, IMO. Let me state in my own words what I think your argument is, and please correct anything I might have wrong (I'll keep the context to American marriage, to keep it simpler) : It is the right of the people of America to marry whomever they choose, therefore it is wrong and discriminatory to say that one person can't marry another person, as long as they are both consenting adults.

Is this about right?

I'll discuss the rest of the post when you are satisfied that I clearly understand what you are saying.

Old 11-20-2003, 02:49 AM   #39
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
A perfect example is how Arnold Schwarzenegger cannot run for President of the US. Did voters take away his right to do this? Yes - because they thought that the best interests of the country were served to say that presidents had to have been born here.
Well actually no voters said that. It is part of the Constitution because the founding fathers were concerned with the young nation coming under the influence of foreign governments if a foreign born citizen was elected to president. But we can give him that right with a Constitutional Amendment.

Sween - I could drag out my US Constitution quotes again. I'm having a field day with them today.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:56 AM   #40
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
IRex, I CLEARLY grasp your argument, IMO. Let me state in my own words what I think your argument is, and please correct anything I might have wrong (I'll keep the context to American marriage, to keep it simpler) : It is the right of the people of America to marry whomever they choose, therefore it is wrong and discriminatory to say that one person can't marry another person, as long as they are both consenting adults.

Is this about right?
I would say this is right - at least as to my feelings.

Polygamy gets into sticky issues because of tax benefits and deductions and things. I'm not necessarily for or against polygamy. I do think the majority of wives are ill treated though and seem to be used just for sex and child rearing purposes. They seem to always be treated as second class citizens and subservient by their husbands. That I do not like.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote