Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2002, 05:33 PM   #21
Makamu
Sapling

It is either Galadriel or Eowyn. Take that you little up-start Luthien ! Seriously I don't like Arwen at all, because she doesn't do anything in comparison to Luthien's sacrifices and still she gets the hottest Numenorean king ever to walk the earth.
~Maka
Makamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 10:13 PM   #22
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Galadriel all the way. That woman got game. I don't particularly care for Arwen since she's rarely talked about.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 11:07 AM   #23
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

DIE ARWEN DIE! oh, did i say that?

ya she should die but, it never did happen that i know of! did arwen really give aragorn the neckals, b/c in the apendix aragorn dies of old age, and arwen dose not!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 05:59 PM   #24
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
Quote:
Originally posted by Samwiselvr2008
did arwen really give aragorn the neckals, b/c in the apendix aragorn dies of old age, and arwen dose not!
In the movie Arwen gives her necklace to Aragorn but in the book she gives she doesn't and instead gives a similar necklace to Frodo.

Quote:
And she took a white gem like a star that lay upon her breast hanging upon a silver chain, and she set the chain around Frodo's neck
And yes, she does die in the appendix, it tells of her death in the last three paragraphs of the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen.

Quote:
There at last when the mallorn-leaves were falling, but spring had not yet come, she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth ; and there is her green grave...
It was sometime after Aragrorn's death that she dies, but she does die.

Blasted typos
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.

Last edited by Rei : 07-29-2002 at 06:04 PM.
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 07:32 PM   #25
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

ooohhh.. that part when arwen dies always gives me creepy lonley chills. maybe cause being alone is my profession, i understand.. but to think of being the last of the last... what a load on yourself
Old 07-30-2002, 10:21 PM   #26
Frodo&Merry'sGurl
Sapling

I like Galadriel better, Arwen really didn't do anything in the books except GIVE UP HER IMMORTALITY. Which I think is pretty major, but I do like Galadriel better.

In place of a dark lord you would have a queen. Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn.
Treacherous as the sea. Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair."
-Galadriel
Frodo&Merry'sGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:39 PM   #27
galadriel
Elven Warrior

You can probably tell who I think is cooler from my pretentious user name
Quote:
Originally posted by Elbereth

I also don't like the movie Galadriel, I mean, I though Cate Blanchet did a good job and all, but they just made Galad. too SCARY!
Yeah, the mirror scene was kinda disturbing! They certainly created a contrast between Nice-Galadriel and Evil-Galadriel, and the acting was excellent, but since that was her only major scene, the major image you got of her from that movie was Galadriel-Glowing-Green. If they had been able to include the gift-giving scenes, it probably would have balanced her character.
(I can't wait till the DVD comes out! Missing scenes!!! )

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:02 AM   #28
Minyacamiel
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel not fair

ok, first of all, yes Galadriel was more important, and maybe she should've got a better role.... We can't change that now. Second of all, you can't judge a CHARACTER by the person who plays it!!!!!! I thought We were discussing Arwen and Galadriel... Not how people think Liv Tyler is a hippo!!! She has nothing to do with the role.... just that she played her... now can we pretend that we dont know who played them, we just know the parts, and lets discuss if Galadriel should've got a bigger part. not that Liv Tyler is a hippo... (I personally think she is beautiful)
Minyacamiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 10:56 PM   #29
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

thanks, that would make it better! good post!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 03:02 PM   #30
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
Arwen Undomiel

Galadriel, hands down. Not only is she Queen of the Elves, Arwens Gramma, and an oracle, she's also one of the best characters in the book. Eowyn's cool, too.
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:02 PM   #31
entss89
lord of the ents

Treebeard this is your best buddy sarah k

Hi jenny i just sighned on please send me some posts. this is so much fun guess what? im on the 4th book where its the taming of smeagol. well i want to go and post some replys bye!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:02 PM   #32
entss89
lord of the ents

Hi jenny i just sighned on please send me some posts. this is so much fun guess what? im on the 4th book where its the taming of smeagol. well i want to go and post some replys bye!
Old 08-17-2002, 12:02 PM   #33
entss89
lord of the ents

Last edited by entss89 : 08-18-2002 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:05 PM   #34
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

To contact a certain member of Entmoot, use the Private Messaging function.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:20 AM   #35
entss89
lord of the ents

Treebeard die arown

arowen............................................ ............................................
I hope she dies in the book oops! well she is taking a big role in the movie when she barely did anything in the book! oh and when aragon was supossed to have eternal life well in the ependix he laid down and died well thets what happens! if you dont believe me look it up for yourself! LATER< BYE BYE!
Old 08-18-2002, 10:43 AM   #36
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Aragorn never got eternal life, Arwen just gave up her immortality to be with him.

I have to tell you -- my 5 and a half year old daughter watched FotR with me and loved it (I covered her eyes during head-loppings). When I told her Arwen was an elf princess she said firmly, "That's who I am." She loves Arwen. She can't wait for the TT to come out. I think I'll adopt her view: Liv can ride a horse (which I can't), she can act (better than me!) and she's beautiful -- yay for Arwen. She can't help the script.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 06:14 PM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Re: die arown

Quote:
Originally posted by entss89
oh and when aragon was supossed to have eternal life well in the ependix he laid down and died well thets what happens!
You should be honoured. You are the exact reason I have started carrying around anti-newbie spray.

Aragorn is NOT an Elf, he is descended from the line of Numenor. His line is a gradually diminishing long-lived one, but NOT an immortal one.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:49 PM   #38
Urksnik the Sleek
Hobbit

IMO, both are extremely important , but in very different ways!
Galadriel, in both book, and film, give positive physical aid, both generally and to Aragorn , She is also without doubt, far more powerful than Arwen.
But Arwen has her place, as stated earlier in the thread, she gives moral and emotional support to Aragorn, he loves her and has to win her hand by fulfilling Elrond's conditions. Plus, in the movie, she had to appear somewhat more than she does in the books, at least, to my mind in FoTR, so that people have some idea who she is when Aragorn marries her at the end. (No I'm not talking about US!, just non book readers who see the film).
Personally, I'd have liked to see more of Galadriel as the wise noble elven queen, to balance radioactive lady a bit.
Urksnik the Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 07:04 PM   #39
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Lets not forget that the union of Arwen and Aragorn finally unites the sundered lines of the half-elven, thus ennobling the line of men. (Ooh, I get it now!)
Old 08-18-2002, 08:35 PM   #40
niggle
Hobbit

Of course in the book, Arwen hardly exists as a character. That's always struck me as a major flaw - and in the film it would be a fatal flaw. I think Peter Jackson needed to build up Arwen's character, and he has done it well so far. However, Arwen's character is only one flaw in the book that I think the film is putting right.

It's always struck me as odd that the Elves (as a race) are shown as so passive in the book LOTR. Our first meeting with the Elves is when Frodo meets Gildor. Gildor knows that Frodo is astray without guidance bearing a great burden, and that the nine are after him - so what does he do... leaves him to make his own way to Rivendell! The elves achieve almost nothing in the War of the Ring (well Galadriel and Celeborn "mop up" the remnants of Dol Guldur after the ring has been destroyed) but they don't seem to feel that they have any need to make an active contribution to getting rid of the ring. This despite the fact that if the blame for the existence of the rings could be laid at anyone's door (apart from Sauron's) then it belongs to the elves. They had been called back to Valinor by the powers after the defeat of Morgoth, but they wanted to be their own bosses in Middle Earth. The only downside about life in Middle Earth was that things quite naturally tended to fade due to the passage of time. In making the rings the Elves were attempting to hold back time - thus not only were they ripe for Sauron's deceptions but they were acting against nature and the wishes of the Valar. If the Elves had acted properly the rings wouldn't have existed. They should damn well exert themselves to destroy the one ring - it's the least they can do. Their vitual non-action when set alongside Tolkien's insistence that these are beings worthy of something approaching worship is a major inconsistency in the book.

PJ's film gets the Elves more involved in the action and so it gets my vote. Bring on the Elven warriors at Helm's Deep ! Much better that than having them just lounging around like a pack of superannuated pre-raphaelite models! As for the Arwen/Galadriel choice, Arwen gets my vote. I've always had this thing for Hippos (maybe it's that sleek mud slicked skin) - and I find females who turn green and vibrate at important moments a little disconcerting to say the least.
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote