Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2005, 11:27 AM   #21
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gee the blog sounds depressing. I hope Japan awakens your inner happiness.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:37 AM   #22
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah, I was worried that maybe it did [sound depressing]. But I am happy really. "I feel happy! I feel happy! *ugh*"
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:36 PM   #23
katya
Elven Maiden

Here I am in Japan- go read my blog and you can post comment now- before you couldn`t unless you were a member but I changed it. I`m afraid I have been on the computer too long though. So bye for now.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #24
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Interesting reading, may you feel as joyfull all throughout your stay.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #25
katya
Elven Maiden

I`ll try. Today was a little bit long... I feel a little overwhelmed. I had to stop myself from crying at dinner. I felt a little sick. But I still like it here. My biggest problem is I feel like I can`t express my gratitude and love well enough. Hm... I think I`ll feel better after after sleeping. Sleep is good. I have been waking up at 4:30 every morning. On accident. My siblings sleep until at least noon.... Incoherent...
Old 08-21-2005, 11:07 AM   #26
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

It took me about a week to get on Japan time and when coming back it took another week for my body and mind to get in sync. You may have better luck but just know it knocks you for a loop. All the different foods and water tax your body and the surroundings tax your mind in ways you don't forsee.
Moot away and don't worry about crying.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:17 PM   #27
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

While my experience is nowhere near your scale, katya, I now have a roommate here at college who is Japanese. He's cool and I have a feeling that we're going to get along great.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 AM   #28
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
Here I am in Japan- go read my blog and you can post comment now- before you couldn`t unless you were a member but I changed it. I`m afraid I have been on the computer too long though. So bye for now.
glad to hear you arrived safely, katya What a wonderful opportunity for you!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:13 AM   #29
katya
Elven Maiden

Sankyuu! (thank you) I`m feeling much better today. It seems my mood is directly proportional to how much Japanese I speak.

I`m surprised there don`t seem to be more exchange students here at the Moot. Maybe they`re just shy. Maybe not.

Tonight`s dinner was yakisoba. Very tasty.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #30
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Actually you are in an elite minority. Enjoy the privilege.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:16 PM   #31
katya
Elven Maiden

I want to thank everyone who encouraged me to try martial arts. If it wasn`t for you guys, I might never have joined kendo club.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #32
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

...stay focused, it can be painful.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:30 AM   #33
katya
Elven Maiden

I fear neither death nor pain.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #34
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Ah, but your young. It's a challenge to maintain that outlook as you get older. Trust your experiences are going well and that you gain more than you think.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:45 AM   #35
katya
Elven Maiden

Was that line only in the movies? I can`t remember. Anyway I think I had some sort of comeback to the response "What do you fear, my lady?", something like "Sempai" or something. Aaaanyway, I thought I`d use this thread so announce that my next host family does not have a computer. That`s right, two months of no regular use. I`ll still be coming back here to check my mail, so I`ll log on to Entmoot too, but not like now. I think maybe I`m on a lot now to make up for it, actually. So anyway, if you`re wondering where Katya is, here`s the answer. Also, if you haven`t checked out my blog yet feel free! And leave me some nice comments! But a note- don`t mention anything about Entmoot because I`ve been pretty free and open here and I might have said something that I don`t want everyone to read. Probably not anything too bad, but still, I think you get the point. Jaa nee!

EDIT: Here`s the address for my blog, so you don`t have to search around for it- inakunatta.blogspot.com

Last edited by katya : 02-28-2006 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #36
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Although I was never really an "exchange student" I did live in Germany for two years when i was in 5th and 6th grade. My dad was in the Army and during Desert Storm we were stationed in Osterholz-Garlsted. If i remember right Osterholz was the name of the German town and Garlsted was the name of the army base, which closed while we were there. It was some of the most fun i ever had has a kid. We have one big festival here a year called Sternwheeler where a bunch of old river boats dock and all of downtown is turned into a carnaval. There this happened like every week it seemed like.We did have to take German in school and i learned quit a bit but for the life of me can't rember any of it now. The people there were friendly but there were still some who hated Americans, which seems to be growing in the world today. The feild trips there were awesome to. Here they go to like dairy farms and what not. There we went to castles! All in all, it was a good experience and i encourage eveyone to atleast visit a foreign country once
Old 07-01-2006, 03:37 AM   #37
katya
Elven Maiden

Well, that was fun! Today is my last full day in Japan! Tomorrow morning I hop on the plane and come home! I am kind of excited but I wanna stay here longer too. I love Japan so much I could die. And my friends are so awesome. But yeah, just thought I`d let you all know! Not that it really changes much of anything. Check out my journal for more in depth information.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #38
Mari
Elf Lady

A bit a change of subject, but how was it to get home? Did you have to adapt much? I mean, Japan is quite different and people back home don't speak Japanese so... could you please share your experience?
よろしくおねがいします。
心を準備しないとだめなんですよね。

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #39
katya
Elven Maiden

こちらこそよろしくお願いします。
It was kind of hard coming home... When I arrived at the airport in Detroit I was shocked at all the "foreigners" (Americans). I actually hung out at the waiting place for a flight back to Osaka during my layover in Detroit, even though I was headed to somewhere in Michigan. I really wanted to go back to the land and people I had grown to love.

The language was interesting too- there have been lots of times I've accidentally said "gomen" or "sumimasen" to Americans out of habit. I think Japanese is really fun and enjoyable to speak so I miss being able to speak it and have people that understand.

The culture is a lot different too, of course, but it didn't bother me too much. There are still a lot of things I prefer about Japanese culture over American, but there are some nice things about American too. It's more relaxed over here and I feel like I can breathe a little easier. I don't have to worry about manners as much. That, and it's nice to be back in a culture I understand, having lived here since birth. I felt a little handicapped in Japan because I didn't understand a lot of things.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #40
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

welcome back, katya! Wow, time flies! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote