Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2006, 02:15 PM   #21
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I really want to see some women's hockey games. Does anyone know when they'll be on?
I watched Sweden play against Italy today in the women's hockey. The class differences between the teams are just too big for women's hockey to be interesting. Canada is practically invincible whereas Italy can hardly skate. Hardly any team is on the same level as another team. Hopefully the other teams will catch up on Canada in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falagar
On a side note, we got our first gold medal yesterday! Go Bystølen. And Estil managed a silver in skiathlom even though he broke his skis at the outset.
Way to go, Norway!

Sorry Aamodt missed out the bronze in the men's downhill. That French dude Antoine Deneriaz really kicked the others' butts. What an upset!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #22
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Yeah, was actually pretty pleased to see the French guy winning, even though it meant Aamodt lost his bronze. Much less pleasing was the fact that Aamodt hurt his knee and will have to take it easy the rest of the Olympics. :-\
Old 02-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #23
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The Swedes are doing well both in Men's and Women's Curling. Go, Sweden! I think they are among the few Golds we can expect in this Olympiad. Unless of course Snowboarders do well.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #24
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Everyone who's talking politics, quit ranting and get over it. This is a happy thread! Happy, happy happy!
Happy: The United States of America has 4 gold medals and 2 silver so far! Chad Hedrick won the 5000m-speedskating race; Joey Cheek got gold for 500 m-speedskating; Shaun White "The Flying Tomato" won gold and Daniel Kass got silver in the Men's Halfpipe; Hannah Teter won gold and Gretchen Bleiler got silver in Women's Halfpipe.
GO TEAM USA!

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #25
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
Everyone who's talking politics, quit ranting and get over it. This is a happy thread! Happy, happy happy!
Happy: The United States of America has 4 gold medals and 2 silver so far! Chad Hedrick won the 5000m-speedskating race; Joey Cheek got gold for 500 m-speedskating; Shaun White "The Flying Tomato" won gold and Daniel Kass got silver in the Men's Halfpipe; Hannah Teter won gold and Gretchen Bleiler got silver in Women's Halfpipe.
GO TEAM USA!
Um...This isn't the happy thread.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #26
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
If a country has a problem with the politics of the hosting country, they can do what Jimmy Carter did and just boycot the games. There was no American athletes in Moscow 1980 (and as a result, the Soviet team refused to participate in the 1984 games in Los Angeles).
Ever hear of Herb Brooks and his American team? You should try watching the movie 'Miracle'.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:50 PM   #27
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Yeah but people keep getting hurt - I just saw on the news earlier, a skier ate it, and so did this one girl in the luge.

But you're right, we ought to keep the vibe happy in this thread!! Hear, hear. There's this one couple who ice-skates together; apparantly they are from around here in L.A. somewhere. Lovebird iceskaters. I don't know any names, maybe you guys know?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #28
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Yeah but people keep getting hurt - I just saw on the news earlier, a skier ate it, and so did this one girl in the luge.

But you're right, we ought to keep the vibe happy in this thread!! Hear, hear. There's this one couple who ice-skates together; apparantly they are from around here in L.A. somewhere. Lovebird iceskaters. I don't know any names, maybe you guys know?
Is that like a snowbird? No good snowbirds. *shakes fist at passing Hummer pulling a million dollar trailor*
Old 02-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #29
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Is that like a snowbird? No good snowbirds. *shakes fist at passing Hummer pulling a million dollar trailor*
Lol! Mr Quark-Bane, you sir are cracking me up!

Snowbird!

Old 02-14-2006, 12:18 AM   #30
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Lol! Mr Quark-Bane, you sir are cracking me up!

Snowbird!
Don't look at me! *points accusingly at guy driving a Mercedes-Benz like he owns the road and probably thinks he does*
Old 02-14-2006, 12:35 AM   #31
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Don't look at me! *points accusingly at guy driving a Mercedes-Benz like he owns the road and probably thinks he does*
That'd be my boyfriend! He's a very aggressive Benz driver, no doubt about it.

Here's some medals won so far -

Norway (8) 1 gold, 3 silver, 4 bronze (biathlon, xcountry, freestyle, nordic combined, ski jumping, snowboarding)

Russia (7) 3 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze (biathlon, xcountry, figure skating, luge, speed skating)

USA (6) 4 gold, 2 silver (snowboarding, speed skating)
Germany (3) 2 gold, 1 silver (biathlon, Nordic combined)
Netherlands (3) 1 gold, 2 silver (speed skating)
South Korea(3) 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze (short track, speed skating)
Italy (3) 1 gold, 2 bronze (xcountry, luge, speed skating)
China (3) 1 silver, 2 bronze (figure skating, short track)
Canada (2) 1 gold, 1 bronze (freestyle, speed skating)
France (2) 1 gold, 1 bronze (downhill, freestyle)
Austria (2) 2 silver (downhill, Nordic combined)
Finland (2) 1 silver, 1 bronze (ski jumping, snowboarding)
Estonia (1) 1 gold (xcountry)
Czech Republic (1) 1 silver (x country)
Latvia(1) 1 bronze (luge)
Switzerland (1) 1 bronze (downhill)

Old 02-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #32
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

1) hmmmmmmmm

2) "cool runnings" is a great olympic movie for anyone

3) I'm surprised by the number of injuries sustained by so many at Turin, some even before their event. Perhaps its due to the fact that the snow only materialized two weeks before the opening?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #33
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Yes, cool runnings is good. 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics.

There still a Jamaican boblsled team? - and are they any good? If someone does this research, I'll give them a virtual pat on the back.

edit did my own research:
Quote:
Jamaica has competed in every Winter Olympics since 1988, but failed to qualify for the 2006 Winter Olympics.
Awww - they aren't in this Olympics! Bummer! They train in the US. 1 of the members from the 2002 team is competing for Canada at this Olympics.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #34
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Thanks, big "H" for the update on the Jamacains.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #35
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain Peregrin Took I
Ever hear of Herb Brooks and his American team? You should try watching the movie 'Miracle'.
Yep, I've heard of how the college guys beat the professional Soviet players. That was during the Winter Games in Lake Placid, not in Moscow (where the Summer Games were held the same year).
"Miracle" is a movie I have wanted to rent for some time now
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #36
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Ah, why can't we get gold in something? The norwegian media was sure we would have 7 golds just the first two days. Like my friend said yesterday "I don't care for anything other than gold". While I don't think he has right, when we take so many medals it has to be something, but why can't it be gold!?

Oh well. I'll suppose we'll be doing fine this year, too.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #37
Jonathan

Sweden won both the men's and women's team sprint today. Both wins came within 25 minutes. Sweden's first medals and they're both golden

C'mon Norway, you can't allow Sweden to have more gold medals than you
Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #38
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

No, ceartainly! But it was nice for you two get something in this Olympic Games aswell... And you were lucky it was gold.
But just you wait till it is finished, and we'll se who have most gold medals
Old 02-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #39
Jonathan

Never before since international competition in women's hockey began has a non-North American team made it to the final of a big championship. The US and Canada have dominated the sport completely and have always faced off in the finals.

But not in Torino! Sweden beat the US in the semis after a nerve thrilling shootout. This is like our own Miracle on ice
Old 02-17-2006, 03:51 PM   #40
truthiscool
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
GO TEAM USA!
Yah thats right