FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2004, 03:54 PM   #221
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Good Luck, Lalaith_Elf.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:05 PM   #222
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Thank you - I failed at giving up chocolate but I'm NOT failing at this.

*checks positive attitude off her list*

Can't do it unless I believe I can..... now to keep this up.....
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:23 PM   #223
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Good luck with quitting. You'll be healthier and richer for it.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:54 AM   #224
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Hey, good luck, LE!

When you get those pangs, take a deep breath and hold it. I'd recommend the gum as well.

Three months since stopping and I can swim with proper (every 4th stroke) breathing again!
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:07 AM   #225
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

It's killing me. I've gone without dope for what? A few weeks? Yet it seems like months. I've also succeeded in cutting back how many cigarettes I usually smoke - more out of lack and money than choice, but I guess it's still cutting back...
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 04-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #226
Elvenlady
Hobbit

hey Gaffer I didn't know you quit, good for you!

LE you can quit, just keep at it

No, really the account for Elvengirl has not been working so I created this other identity, it may or may not be permanent..... just to let you know.....
Elvenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:51 PM   #227
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Re: Smoking

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder

I think smoking should be banned in all restaurants and bars nationwide, and cigarette taxes should be increased. Maybe if cigarettes are no longer affordable, people will stop buying them.

What do you think about smoking laws, and do you have any ideas on why people still smoke?
When prohibition was in effect the amount of alcohol increased in contrast to when it was illegal. Increasing the prices of cigerettes isn't a solution... people will find ways to get around the ridiculous prices.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is for all those who label smokers as stupid....

Labeling all smokers as stupid is rather ignorant and pathetic. Recent research studies have shown depressed people are more likely to become smokers. So maybe some smokers are stupid, maybe others are so depressed that they really don't care anymore about taking care of their body, or some people are not secure enough not to give into peer pressure. The point is if you don't know a persons reason for smoking, then shut up and don't be so quick to judge others.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 04-04-2004 at 06:55 PM.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 07:00 PM   #228
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

(double post.)

Last edited by Ragnarok : 04-04-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:01 PM   #229
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Chill out Rag .

I would say that smoking is stupid: I would not say that smokERS are stupid.

I would also say that overeating is stupid: But I over eat all the time and that doesn't make me stupid .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 07:12 PM   #230
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Oh, I am chilled. It sounded harsh but I'm not upset or angry.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:11 AM   #231
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Actually Ragnarok you were right in this case. Part of the reason (just part - not the full reason) that I took up smoking and smoke is because I get depressed. I find it has better effects than anti-d pills.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:14 AM   #232
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i've had a lot of bad habits over the years... but smoking is one i've never been able to completely toss aside... i like the new laws... if nothing else, they limit how often i have a cigarette

why do i smoke?

because i enjoy it
Old 04-05-2004, 10:01 AM   #233
Elvenlady
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
because i enjoy it
See I've been told this before and it totally baffles me. I fail to see what is so enjoyable about smoking. It totally disgusts me, no offense.

And I don't think smokers are stupid, maybe some are uneducated and unhealthy, but I know some very intelligent peolpe who happen to smoke cigarettes.

No, really the account for Elvengirl has not been working so I created this other identity, it may or may not be permanent..... just to let you know.....
Old 04-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #234
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'm glad it disgusts you... it's much easier to stay away from then

i think it's like many other things in life, a matter of personal taste and something that one gets use to over time... the idea of eating something like beef tongue or pickled pigs feet makes my stomach turn... but i know some people who absolutely love it

when i was in high school i was the type who would try anything... back then it was one cigarette every week or two... i didn't become a "real smoker" till living with a girlfriend who smoked quite a lot... since then i've gotten myself to a few a day, but quitting "forever" is very hard

which is why i like the smoking laws... they keep me from smoking in many situations when i'm not at home (where i stopped smoking entirely about seven years ago)

i know myself well enough to realize that i will never stop completely, so instead i focus on mitigating my habit as much as i can
Old 04-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #235
Elvenlady
Hobbit

Believe me I know smoking is definitely not something that I will ever try.

I believe that it can be hard to quit, but it can be done, if you decided to. But cutting back is definitely good.

It's interesting to hear you say you like the smoking laws. I usually hear the opposite, which I think is a shame. I think people would better off not having it available, but it's true that peolpe will find other ways to get it. Maybe if everyne were just better educated on the subject it would keep them from trying it in the first place.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:54 AM   #236
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Just curious,
Did any of you smokers enjoy it the first time you tried?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:04 AM   #237
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I loved it the first time! Even before I started to smoke, I loved the smell that you get when someone who smokes passes you. I still love that smell! I've never hated it. Not even the very first time.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:26 AM   #238
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'd have to agree... though i also did a lot of camping at a young age... so sitting around smoke was a pretty familiar thing
Old 04-06-2004, 11:33 AM   #239
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I'm glad someone agrees with me. The amount of people who just go on and on at me saying 'it's bad for you' or 'it's a horrible habit', annoys me alot. I know that it's bad for your health, but I don't really think it's a bad habit. I'm just sick of it. And I know people have a right to express their feelings about smoking, but I'm sick of them always doing it to me. It's not like I smoke inside or near any non-smokers or something. I'm glad to have someone on the same side as me!
Old 04-06-2004, 01:08 PM   #240
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

If you like the smell of burning tabacco you really should smoke a pipe not silly cigerettes. Pipes smell great. Cigerettes just make you smell like an ash tray or worse.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote