Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2004, 05:43 PM   #201
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I remember Olsson... from the Golden.. something tournament a few years ago. He was always second though, there was a British guy that kept beating him. He retired since now, I think he was alreayd old back then.

USA is first right now, with 23 Gold medals - just as much as the Chinese - but with much more Silver and Bronze. (Israel is 59 )

I haven't seen any Olympics, nor heard any in the last few days - who won the 100m men?

I'm impressed of Spain in basketball. I did know they're very good... but I thought others are better. Lithuania has a 5-0 as well, btw, but I think it was rather expected. (thoguh I did think (like the rest of the world?) that the US will be first)
You heard China won Serbia?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:08 PM   #202
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Hey Gordy! Spain has won their first gold medal! Gervasio Deferr won men's vault final, gymnastics. And Patricia Moreno got bronze medal in the women's floor exercise. Congrats!
And who knows what the Spanish beach volley team can do, they've reached the final.
Yay!! Thanks. It's Deferr's 2nd olimpic gold in Vault, since he was the champion in Sydney too. Did you see the competition? After Draculescu's first jump I thought he'd win the gold. It was an incredible jump , but then, he almost fall in his 2nd so the first place was to Deferr I can't help feeling a bit sorry for Draculescu though

Paticia's medal was unexpected, but not less welcome

Around here everybody thinks that it is a shame that Beach Volleybol be in the Olimpics... but hey! everybody was cheering today to our pair to get in the final I hope we'll get a shameful gold
Old 08-23-2004, 06:19 PM   #203
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
I haven't seen any Olympics, nor heard any in the last few days - who won the 100m men?
Justin Gatlin. Here's the article.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:14 PM   #204
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
Yay!! Thanks. It's Deferr's 2nd olimpic gold in Vault, since he was the champion in Sydney too. Did you see the competition? After Draculescu's first jump I thought he'd win the gold. It was an incredible jump , but then, he almost fall in his 2nd so the first place was to Deferr I can't help feeling a bit sorry for Draculescu though
I don't want to hurt any Spanish reading this, but I didn't liked Deferr's jumps as I the Romanian;s first one, which IMO was the best jump in there. I was sure he's going to win... unfortunately for him, he got the worst jump.... Congrats to Spain nonetheless! Because apparently, the Spanish deserved it.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:33 AM   #205
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Sweden lost to Brazil in the women's football. Now we'll face our worst rivals the Germans, who lost to the US, in the bronze match. Maybe it was worth losing a place in the final just to get a chance to beat the Germans

Swedish Ida-Theres Karlsson almost got a medal in the women 55kg wrestling. I didn't see that coming. She finished 4th.

Congratulations to Spain for their medals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
I remember Olsson... from the Golden.. something tournament a few years ago. He was always second though, there was a British guy that kept beating him. He retired since now, I think he was already old back then.
Yep, the Golden League. The British guy in the triple jump, Jonathan Edwards, was phenomenal and as good as unbeatable. He's got the world record and is one of I think only two who has jumped more than 18 metres ( that's a lot!). Before retiring, Christian Olsson always finished second while Edwards always won 1st place except for once, in one of Edward's last championships. It felt so good to see Olsson finally beat him
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-24-2004 at 01:43 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:26 AM   #206
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Yeah I saw the competition, and I was sure Draculescu would win too after his first vault. It was the best performance in the competition, but the gymnasts must do 2 vaults, and they cannot afford to fail on one of them if they're going to win the gold. I feel sorry for Draculescu too, but the gold medal to Deferr was well deserved!

Quote:
Paticia's medal was unexpected, but not less welcome
She did a very good job on the floor.

Quote:
Around here everybody thinks that it is a shame that Beach Volleybol be in the Olimpics... but hey! everybody was cheering today to our pair to get in the final I hope we'll get a shameful gold
Haha!
Why do they think it's a shame?

Last edited by Artanis : 08-24-2004 at 02:28 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:39 AM   #207
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Thank you everybody for your congratulations

Quote:
Haha!
Why do they think it's a shame?
Most people don't think it should be an olimpic sport. Why not then including Beach Football or Indoor Football?

BTW, did you know that Croquet was olimpic in some of the first Olimpic Games?
Old 08-24-2004, 04:59 AM   #208
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
On behalf of Great Britain, I would like to gloat about the success of Kelly Holmes in the 800m! Britain's 7th gold for women in track and field in 70 years... it doesn't happen often.
Yay, a local girl
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 08-24-2004 at 05:00 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:22 AM   #209
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Yay, a local girl
But not like this local girl, presumably:

What a fantastic race! I was totally made up for her. She's had so many injuries and disappointments over the last ten years; it's a real testament to her guts and determination. Another metre and she would have lost it to the Slovenian or Ethiopian; five metres less and Mutola would have one.

And her expression of sheer joy and surprise when she crossed the line was totally priceless.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:11 AM   #210
sun-star
Lady of Letters

What the - ?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 AM   #211
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

USA's going to play in the football/soccer finals tomorrow against Brazil.
Jon, sorry about the Sweden loss in football, but now you get your revenge
Ga Sverige!

Good luck to the Iraq team!

Congratulations to the Romanian woman, Catalina Ponor, on the gold wins in gym!

OK who saw that drama last night in the men's gymnastics. I couldn't believe it. Alexi Nemov's routine was amazing, with six releases! I'm no expert, but his routine at least looked amazing and I think deserved a better score and a medal, imo. And wow... the audience's response, booing for 5 min and I couldn't believe the judges actually changed their score. (it didn't make a difference though) When does that ever happen?
That is the only reason I don't like gymnastics, it's way too subjective.
This year has been unbelieveable with all the controversy.

It looks like Paul won't have to give up his gold. They were saying last night that the Korean's routine should have been scored lower, which would put him out of winning the gold medal anyways. Does anyone think Paul should give it up? I don't think it'd be fair to punish him for the judge's mistake (which seems to be occuring a lot this year ) If the Korean honestly deserved it, then I think they should award another medal, not take Paul's away.

I thought it was quite ironic how the same Korean totally fumbled in his high bar routine.
And good for Paul to come out winning in the end, only too bad Nemov wasn't able to.

Well anywho... the Gymnastics Gala is tonight! woohoo fun.....

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com

Last edited by Elvengirl : 08-25-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 AM   #212
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvengirl
Congratulations to the Spanish woman, Catalina Ponor, on the gold wins in gym!
I regret to say that Ponor is not Spanish, she's from Rumania

Anyway, congrats to her
Old 08-24-2004, 11:05 AM   #213
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Most people don't think it should be an olimpic sport. Why not then including Beach Football or Indoor Football?
Indeed, why not? And what about paddle-tennis?
Quote:
BTW, did you know that Croquet was olimpic in some of the first Olimpic Games?
No I did not know. Must have been fun back then. I think you should agitate to get it back on the olympic agenda.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:42 PM   #214
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvengirl
OK who saw that drama last night in the men's gymnastics. I couldn't believe it. Alexi Nemov's routine was amazing, with six releases! I'm no expert, but his routine at least looked amazing and I think deserved a better score and a medal, imo. And wow... the audience's response, booing for 5 min and I couldn't believe the judges actually changed their score. (it didn't make a difference though) When does that ever happen?
That is the only reason I don't like gymnastics, it's way too subjective.
This year has been unbelieveable with all the controversy.
yeah that was just an amazing display. i guarantee you some heads will roll after these olympics are over as far as the judging goes. and youll probably see some rules changes like you saw after the skating fiasco in Utah. But you gotta like Nemov's class to acknowledge the crowd for supporting him so fervently yet standing up and saying thank you but please quiet down so the next guy can go. a lot of folks wouldnt have been so nice.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:07 PM   #215
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:

Not to mention Karate, now there's a sport of which I don't understand why it isn't an Olympic sport already.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:07 AM   #216
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
And what about paddle-tennis?
You're right! Paddle-tennis should be Olympic too

I think I'm going to agitate on this besides croquet
Old 08-25-2004, 08:15 AM   #217
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Yesterday, we loose handball quaterfinals (men) versus Germany.

Two extra times (with two periods of 5 minutes each) were necessary, and since they couldn't break the draw, they passed to 5 shots from 7m...

The worst is that I was hearing the match by radio... I understood that after the first extra time they had to play another single period of 5 minutes. I stopped and went to a bar to see it. I arrived in minute 4 and 45 seconds and could see how Spain ended the extra time winning 30-28. I thought it had finished (and the barman too, who was crying loud "it's finished, we've won!!" ) so I went home, and only there I discovered that the result had been very different...

I still feel depressed
Old 08-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #218
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Congratulations Sweden!. Du gamla, du fria...

Congratulations, FM & Spain!

I watched that final between Wang Hao and Ryu Seung Min a few nights ago. Table tennis has got to be one of the funniest Olympic sports to watch.

I was also watching the diving. That Canadian, Alexandre Despatie, is amazing! No wonder he's such a champion.

The biggest thing in the news now, pertaining to the Olympics, is about a girl called Sally Robbins who stopped rowing near the finish line of her team sculling final. Her teammates were quite furious with her; it cost them a gold medal.

And our baseball team's playing Cuba for the gold medal, which is really strange because baseball is not popular at all here, not compared to America.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:17 AM   #219
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

That women's pole vaulting last night was pretty exciting. Finished after midnight in Greece.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:40 AM   #220
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
I regret to say that Ponor is not Spanish, she's from Rumania
Anyway, congrats to her
err... you're right...*scratches head* I could have sworn I heard she was Spanish...er... sorry about that but congrats to her anyways
I will edit earlier post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indsidious Rex
But you gotta like Nemov's class to acknowledge the crowd for supporting him so fervently yet standing up and saying thank you but please quiet down so the next guy can go. a lot of folks wouldnt have been so nice.
Oh definitely! That was very gracious of him.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote