Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2003, 09:58 PM   #181
LadyGreenleaf22
Hobbit

ah thank you...some very interesting answers...

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused"
LadyGreenleaf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 03:22 AM   #182
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Re: Re: HI!

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
That's a loaded question. You might want to check out this thread from almost a year ago...anti american sentiments
Tsss tsss JD, that was mean. You KNOW that thread is about what people DON'T like about America. A bit one-sided,isn't it? It's not what every non-american THINKS America is.

Last edited by Earniel : 05-06-2003 at 03:23 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:00 AM   #183
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
It was the first line of his post that annoyed me. I guess he's implying that Americans can't speak English and since he studied English here - that's why his English might be crap.
I would imagine he was just saying it would be American English, rather than British English. Since it's not that easy for non-English speakers to tell the difference, I think he was just being polite and covering his back

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyGreenleaf22 Hey, I'm here in the U.S.A. Non-Americans, how do you view America? Just asking for opinions...
Seriously, don't ask. Whatever we say is wrong
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 05-06-2003 at 04:01 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:16 AM   #184
Baby-K
Corruptor

This part:

Quote:
As seen as no-one here has mentioned Germany I thought I'd mention it. Apologies if my English is not good (I studied English in America), bear with me!
nullifies this part:

Quote:
Fortunately, the aristocracy (for Americans- it means titled nobility) which I am a member of, was not abolished as it was in Austria.
to an extent. He clearly stated his English was not good & that he had studied in the USA. Perhaps he had encountered the question before while he was there & was pre-empting it? Don't be so quick to assume everyone thinks badly of Americans And I very much doubt that he meant to imply that his English suffered because he studied in America, perhaps he was indicating that he may use Americanisms which 'mooters from other countries could have difficulties with.

JD, brining up the Anti-American threads here seems pointless (and unfair) to me, I thought the purpose of this thread was to learn more of each others countries and so far so good (for the most part). Thus far the only people to say anything anti-American or even bring up the subject has been Americans... By bringing up the Anti-American threads it looks like you want to imply that LadyGreenleaf22's question is pointless because all of us who are not American citizens share the sentiments expressed in those thread. I find that insulting.

Case Sensitive: there are people here from all over the world & to many of us (myself included) English is not our first language, so if you have a way of saying something in your country / slang, feel free to use it (as long as you explain to us what you mean - I do it often), that's also a way of learning about each others countries etc. Welcome to Entmoot btw, hope you don't let some of the comments in this thread put you off the place.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:33 AM   #185
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

What she said.

Case Sensitive, you are very welcome here. Some people just never forget what they should forget.

I hope you weren't offended by my post, I just thought your description of Germans and Germany was funny because it seemed to live up to all the silly prejudices about Germans. Perhaps I should have kept my virtual mouth shut.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:13 AM   #186
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
Seriously, don't ask. Whatever we say is wrong
Yup

England seems to have been discussed a lot on the 'moot but here's where I currently abide Durham (it's nice place, bit boring at times tho')

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 05-06-2003 at 08:11 AM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:52 AM   #187
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
to an extent. He clearly stated his English was not good & that he had studied in the USA. Perhaps he had encountered the question before while he was there & was pre-empting it? Don't be so quick to assume everyone thinks badly of Americans And I very much doubt that he meant to imply that his English suffered because he studied in America, perhaps he was indicating that he may use Americanisms which 'mooters from other countries could have difficulties with.
Wow - after mentioning to ruinel tha she edit her post and stuff - becuase I thought it was too much - I'm the bad guy and yet I didn't go back to see how she edited it, nor did I change my post. I agree he might have worded a couple of sentences wrong. My statement made sense though if you had read Ruinel's original post. And it is also still a possibility of what he meant when he said to excuse his English - because his English seems very good.

I was actually interested in hearing what his title was.

The only slang that is hard to understand on the moot is the English slang.
Quote:

JD, brining up the Anti-American threads here seems pointless (and unfair) to me, I thought the purpose of this thread was to learn more of each others countries and so far so good (for the most part). Thus far the only people to say anything anti-American or even bring up the subject has been Americans... By bringing up the Anti-American threads it looks like you want to imply that LadyGreenleaf22's question is pointless because all of us who are not American citizens share the sentiments expressed in those thread. I find that insulting.
Well the question was loaded and I wanted to get the "they're lazy, fat, etc. etc..." out of the way by just keeping those sentiments in the threads that already exist and showing that those have been stated.

It's amazing - so far no one has told her what people think of America though. So far everyone has complained about me posting those threads though. If you want to say the good things abotu America instead of all the negative stuff which has been post adnauseum on various threads - then go ahead. As I said - no one has yet to answer her on what they think America is like - just that I was wrong in pointing out threads where America was the point of discussion. Feel free to tell her what you think of America - so far no one has answered her question.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-06-2003 at 09:12 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:05 AM   #188
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
What she said.

Case Sensitive, you are very welcome here. Some people just never forget what they should forget.

I hope you weren't offended by my post, I just thought your description of Germans and Germany was funny because it seemed to live up to all the silly prejudices about Germans. Perhaps I should have kept my virtual mouth shut.
No, Artanis... it was not your words that disturbed me. It was the words of Case Sensitive.

I should never have commented. I react before I stop to think. If any others read my pre-edit post, then you know that JD's post after mine was necessary. Don't make him the bad guy.

And it wasn't his bad English that I was commenting on. It was his bad attitude that I was commenting on. ... must .... restrain... will... not ....get ....kicked... off .... the Moot. .......ACK!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:22 AM   #189
Baby-K
Corruptor

1. His post did not seem to convey a 'bad attitude' to me, but that's my opinion.
2. Not making JD the 'bad guy' - he brought the Anti threads up, which is why I commented on it, if it had been anyone else I would have used their names.
3. JD re the Anti threads & why you say you mentioned them: not fair that you wanted to get those sentiments out of the way...it would have been more apt if someone had actually mentioned any of them. As it is you assumed that's what we wanted to say and that immediately puts me (I don't know about other people) off wanting to say anything in case it is taken the wrong way. Besides, you say the question was loaded, but I don't agree, I think it was perfectly innocent until you mentioned the anti threads & made it a topic of discussion again.
4. Ruinel, I did see your post (if you are referring to the one where you made a title up for him) - IMO if he had seen it he might have been insulted & would prolly not bother sharing the correct title (I hope I'm wrong)
5. Ruinel - I believe Artanis was referring to the post she had made in response to Case Sensitive's post (she joked with him & said it had sounded like a parody as it seemed to support the stereotypical view of Germans).
6. JD his English might sound good because he was taking time to type it, or he had a spell check done or summin. English isn't my first language either & I think I do speak it well, but even so one does sometimes doubt ones own abilities, especially when you are speaking to people you don't know.
7. What do I think of America? Cheese burgers & chips

Quote:
The only slang that is hard to understand on the moot is the English slang.
Good thing I'm South African - we are such intelligent human beings we understand everything
Old 05-06-2003, 10:01 AM   #190
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Welcome to Entmoot btw, hope you don't let some of the comments in this thread put you off the place.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Some people here I think have made rather inappropriate remarks. I am American, and I wasn't insulted or anything like that by his post (although a couple parts did seem a bit impolite to me, but I am more than willing to believe that they were not intended to be rude or anything of the like). I think some people have completely blown up over something which I think to be at the worst minor. 'Twas inappropriate, I think, and I don't think you're giving Case much of a chance.

By the way, Case Sensitive, I think your English is splendid. A lot better than those of many, many people who speak it as a native tongue.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:43 AM   #191
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
1. ...'bad attitude'....
2. Not making JD the 'bad guy' .....
3. ....
4. Ruinel, I did see your post (if you are referring to the one where you made a title up for him) - IMO if he had seen it he might have been insulted & would prolly not bother sharing the correct title (I hope I'm wrong)
5. ...stereotypical view of Germans).
6. ....
7. What do I think of America? Cheese burgers & chips
Good thing I'm South African - we are such intelligent human beings we understand everything
1. IMO, his pushing an impotent title in an anonymous vboard makes him sound pompous and asinine.
2. sorry... my mistake.
4. good, that means neither did the Admins, no spanks for me.
I hope he doesn't bother 'sharing', I don't give an hacca nyarron and I suspect most other enlightened folk at this board do not either.
5. I have been to Germany, and I like the German people. They were very friendly. And by Eru, they make the best beer in the world! I will not have my opinion of the German people tainted by one inbred moron. If my comments 'put him off' from posting at this board, then that was not my intent. It was only to take him down a notch on the dork scale.
7. Burgers and 'chips'.... ew!

{completely off topic, but in response to your being South African. I once had a bf whose mother was S.A., he was plenty fine , but he was a momma's boy... had to kick him to the curb. Too bad, cuz he was also funny and smart.)

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-06-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:55 AM   #192
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
1. IMO, his pushing an impotent title in an anonymous vboard makes him sound pompous and asinine...
I hope he doesn't bother 'sharing', I don't give an hacca nyarron and I suspect most other enlightened folk at this board do not either...
5. I will not have my opinion of the German people tainted by one inbred moron. If my comments 'put him off' from posting at this board, then that was not my intent. It was only to take him down a notch on the dork scale.
He's made two posts and already you've decided he's pompous, asinine, a dork and an inbred moron? What a welcome! Poor guy Personally, I don't believe in reverse snobbery any more than I do the regular kind, and I asked his title because I was curious to see if he really has one and what it might be. It's polite and also fascinating to take an interest in other's people's lives - that's the whole point of this thread, nicht wahr?

And to answer the question about what people think of America. Well, I've never been there. But I'm interested in American culture
and the Americans I've met, here and in real life, have been friendly and very interesting to talk to. If a little touchy
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 05-06-2003 at 10:57 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:56 AM   #193
Baby-K
Corruptor

'nuf said 'bout all that Let's talk about my favourite subject........me! (j/k)

Oh, about the guy you were dating, was only his mom South African, or the whole family & did he grow up here or in the US? (Not that I think that has anything to do with him being a mama's boy, but since she was South African....see how difficult it is to let go of us SA chicks? Not even our sons want to )

As soon as I find a nice enough website I'll post a link (I want one that really symbolises all of SA, not just Table Mountain & Nelson Mandela - that's all most foreigners seem to associate with SA).
Old 05-06-2003, 11:05 AM   #194
jerseydevil

Quote:
...did he grow up here or in the US? (Not that I think that has anything to do with him being a mama's boy...
Good save. You didn't want me to have to come after you - now did you?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-06-2003, 11:08 AM   #195
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
nicht wahr?
Ja, ja! Maar ich bin an auslander, ich sprechen nicht gut duetsch (and I know I just completely raped that sentence - ha, it's about all I can remember of standard 6 (grade 8) german that we had to take at school)

We had to take quite a few come to think of it....is SA the only country where languages are compulsory subjects? We had to take English, Afrikaans (if you were in an Eng school Afr would be a second language and if you were in an Afr school it would be vice versa) from gr 1 to Matric and an African language from gr 3 - gr 9 (I had North Sotho and Zulu). When we got to highschool we also had to take German and Latin as a Mickey Mouse (it wasn't an exam subject unless you had chosen it as part of your curriculum - stupid fool that I was I actually chose Latin )
Old 05-06-2003, 11:14 AM   #196
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Good save. You didn't want me to have to come after you - now did you?
Make an innuendo or not.......erm tough choice........ok: NOT wins

JD, if ye wanted to come after me, then ha ha! I'll just get another of yer threads closed, and another and another & I will frustrate you to the end of your days 'cos you will be driven insane by my relentless spamming & flaming & eventually you'll have to eat though straws........

(don't worry though, I'll be nice about it )
Old 05-06-2003, 11:16 AM   #197
jerseydevil

Quote:
We had to take quite a few come to think of it....is SA the only country where languages are compulsory subjects? We had to take English, Afrikaans (if you were in an Eng school Afr would be a second language and if you were in an Afr school it would be vice versa) from gr 1 to Matric and an African language from gr 3 - gr 9 (I had North Sotho and Zulu). When we got to highschool we also had to take German and Latin as a Mickey Mouse (it wasn't an exam subject unless you had chosen it as part of your curriculum - stupid fool that I was I actually chose Latin )
No - in New Jersey language is required. But not all states require a foreign language to graduate. Indiana language isn't required. The only reason Americans don't really speak multiple languages - isn't because we don't take them - it's because we live on a continent where only three languages are spoken - and one of those (French) is only spoken in one Canadian Providence.

Language used to only be required in High School in NJ - now a lot of elementary schools - at least by me require language.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-06-2003, 11:18 AM   #198
jerseydevil

Quote:
JD, if ye wanted to come after me, then ha ha! I'll just get another of yer threads closed, and another and another & I will frustrate you to the end of your days 'cos you will be driven insane by my relentless spamming & flaming & eventually you'll have to eat though straws........

(don't worry though, I'll be nice about it )
Which of my threads have you gotten closed? And I think you'd be removed from entmoot - before you had a chance to drive me insane.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-06-2003, 11:31 AM   #199
Case Sensitive
Sapling

While I can't give out my exact title as that would let you trace who I am- but I am a Count. Actually- I am the Heir Apparent to the County- upon my father's death I shall become the Count.

Whoever said it, you never put Esq along with a 'Mr'. It's one or the other- it's better etiquette.

"A piece from GOOD history"? Uhm- where to start? We're all evil bastards, really ( ). Germany was founded in 1871- under Prince Otto von Bismarck's series of wars (eg. Franco-Prussian War in which Germany defeated France and conquered Alsace and Lorraine- one of the causes of WW1) but before that we were the 'Holy Roman Emperor'- the Emperor was also the Emperor of Germany (or Kaiser in German). It's kind of hard to say what history is 'good' and 'bad'

Wow- don't everyone misunderstand me please!

In no way was I implying the old 'Americans don't really speak English' joke. Thanks for those who came to my defence- Jerseydevil you seemed awfully quick to take up arms and make some comments about me.

I have to say- quite a few of the old stereotypes are true. Generally our sense of humor is not brilliant and the aristocratic snobbery in Germany is quite intense as our noble system is so different to the English system which you all know.

We Germans fear God and nothing else in the whole World.

Last edited by Case Sensitive : 05-06-2003 at 11:37 AM.
Case Sensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:42 AM   #200
Case Sensitive
Sapling

Inbred moron? This is getting rather intense. What did I say wrong? I think this is all a language misunderstanding, thanks again to those who helped me.

It's just struck me, I'm having to do an awful lot of self-defence, here. Used to be a friendly board as my friends tell me.

We Germans fear God and nothing else in the whole World.
Case Sensitive is offline   Reply With Quote