Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #181
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I doubt that you've read Robertson's explanation of himself. I posted a link to it. There he did some outlining of the percieved threat, and never did he mention health care .
No, I did read it. It's chock full of unsubstantiated assertions and bias. Of course, PR would not give a toss about poor people getting a better deal.

I agree it's off topic though. We need a thread called "Increasingly deranged oil-frenzied rightwingers"
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #182
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

lmao
Old 08-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #183
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Spock, do you have any other ideas about where we should move?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #184
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

You know Gaffer, you have pretty much handed me the argument, in my opinion. It's now no longer about whether or not this Christian leader is a terrorist or not. It's about whether Republicans or Democrats, right-wing or left-wing folks, are correct.

My main problem with what Mr. Robertson said is not in what he said, but in that he said it at all. It's not something that's right to say publicly, though discussing the matter privately with friends is another matter.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:17 PM   #185
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Spock, do you have any other ideas about where we should move?
Basically if you're discussing terrorism steeped in religion or religious teachings it should go in : RELIGIOUS Debate on Terroristm-who, why, etc.

If you want to discuss how do a people or government deal with terrorists then go to: 2005 How Do We Deal With Terrorists

Discussing evolution vs Creationism or I.D. go to: Evidence for Creationism

I do feel that the topic: The Kansas Debate - how to teach
can be better addressed in the above thread but that's just me.

And we have a general Religion II discussion thread that nobody has posted in about a month.

In general, if you can keep your postings on topic, we've got topic threads to cover it. As I've said previously, you're welcome to continue here, it's just that to expand the possible 'audience' of interest, you might want to post in the proper thread.

Last edited by Spock : 08-26-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:31 PM   #186
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Okay. I doubt that this line of discussion will last much longer anyway, so in my opinion, it probably doesn't make much difference.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 PM   #187
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

So just bug the good ol' mod. eh?
...you guys have an endless supply of dialogue, I'd be surprised to see it end anytime soon

---------------------------------------------
Auda abu Tayi: [to Lawrence] I carry twenty-three great wounds, all got in battle. Seventy-five men have I killed with my own hands in battle. I scatter, I burn my enemies' tents. I take away their flocks and herds. The Turks pay me a golden treasure, yet I am poor! Because *I* am a river to my people!

Last edited by Spock : 08-26-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #188
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Another point is that the current discussion really is fairly on-topic. It is a "Religious debate on terrorism". The discussion started with Islamic mullas preaching terrorism against us, and the religion behind it. Now it's been talking about a Christian evangelist supposedly preaching terrorism. It's still about terrorism, and still religious . . .

Old 08-26-2005, 09:39 PM   #189
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yes, I Know, But You're The One Who Wrote

Quote:
Okay. I doubt that this line of discussion will last much longer anyway, so in my opinion, it probably doesn't make much difference.

....goodnight mrs. kalabash, wherever you are.....
Old 08-26-2005, 09:42 PM   #190
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

(Mrs. Kalabesh snores loudly and turns over in her sleep)

Old 08-29-2005, 06:50 AM   #191
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
You know Gaffer, you have pretty much handed me the argument, in my opinion. It's now no longer about whether or not this Christian leader is a terrorist or not. It's about whether Republicans or Democrats, right-wing or left-wing folks, are correct.

My main problem with what Mr. Robertson said is not in what he said, but in that he said it at all. It's not something that's right to say publicly, though discussing the matter privately with friends is another matter.
I see what you're saying, but I think you're mistaken.

I agree that it was wrong for him to say it. It's also true to say that Pat Robertson is an increasingly deranged, oil-frenzied right-winger. Each of those statements are independently true (IMO), however. The fact that he's an IDOFRW (for short) helps to explain why he would say those things.

The thing is that it's hard to get a concrete reason why Chavez is a danger, other than the really obvious one of how he's sitting on a big bunch of oil and has all sorts of seditious notions about redistributing wealth and helping poor people.

I would have thought those sorts of behaviour would attract support from Christian commentators, not incitements to assassination.

But then, I am forgetting how much you need your SUVs to drive to Church on Sundays.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 08-29-2005 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:10 PM   #192
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well said. There simply is no doubt his comments were about as hypocritical as you can get from so many perspectives. Hes supposedly a christian and hes preaching hate and death from the pulpit. Hes supposedly an american (democracy anyone?) and hes saying take out an elected official because hes not a friend of ours. It IS about POLITICAL assasinations. The Bush administration knows very well Chavez is an annoyance but not some kind of terrorist king pin. What folly. The problem is that hes got control of a state that has lots of oil and hes rather hostile with us at the moment and to a certain segment of conservative americans that combination is a good enough reason to kill someone. Why risk losing our grip on our favorite drug after all? Oil is that important to some people.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #193
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

What I'm surprised of is that no one seems to find it out-of-line that a religious figure is interfering with politics. (Separation of religion and state and all sorts) Most of us scream murder and terrorism when a muslim religious figure says anything about killing or removing other people from their positions. Why not now?

Not to mention this is rather abuse of his own position (religious figure and with a possibility to reach a lot of people through the TV-medium).
Old 08-29-2005, 10:45 PM   #194
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
hes saying take out an elected official because hes not a friend of ours.
He's saying, "take out this maniac powerhouse because he's a deadly enemy of ours."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
The thing is that it's hard to get a concrete reason why Chavez is a danger
I also am very curious to read him or some of his friends write up exactly why they think Chavez is a "terrific threat", and a dangerous enemy. What kinds of evidence they have that bring them to that conclusion would be very interesting to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
What I'm surprised of is that no one seems to find it out-of-line that a religious figure is interfering with politics. (Separation of religion and state and all sorts)
The Christian Coalition serves to organize Conservative Christians so that they will vote effectively on important issues. It is by nature political. Pat Robertson has always been very ready to talk about recent modern events. He doesn't dictate national policy, but the say he has and the influence he carries are great, and those he leads definitely have a strong influence upon the nation's future. That is only right in a democracy, I might add. The fact that he is religious shouldn't mean he doesn't have the right to speak his opinion, even when his opinion is religious and political.
Quote:
Most of us scream murder and terrorism when a muslim religious figure says anything about killing or removing other people from their positions. Why not now?
We don't scream murder and terrorism because the Muslim extremists are killing people, but because we believe those that were killed to have been innocent.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:24 PM   #195
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
What I'm surprised of is that no one seems to find it out-of-line that a religious figure is interfering with politics. (Separation of religion and state and all sorts) Most of us scream murder and terrorism when a muslim religious figure says anything about killing or removing other people from their positions. Why not now?

Not to mention this is rather abuse of his own position (religious figure and with a possibility to reach a lot of people through the TV-medium).
From the (very) little I've seen on this (I've been out of town, and we turned the tv off for the summer, and this is the first place I've heard about it), I'd say Pat R. is way out of line, if he indeed was calling for the guy's assassination. I haven't been very impressed with Pat over the years. However, I still see a difference between what he did (calling for a government action against a political leader) and what I've seen some Muslim authorities do - call for any Muslim to kill any American/other-non-Muslim, and/or praise Muslims for killing any Americans/other-non-Muslims.

As far as him being a religious figure, IMO that's what freedom of religion is all about - we don't censor people, no matter what their religious background is, from expressing their views (except in the extreme case of things like shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater, and then the penalty applies to anyone, regardless of their religion). I would have no problem with a high-ranking American who is Muslim calling for people to vote for women to not drive or something like that - that's his right in this country.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 08-29-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:26 PM   #196
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
We don't scream murder and terrorism because the Muslim extremists are killing people, but because we believe those that were killed to have been innocent.
good point.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:00 AM   #197
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I accept that there is a clear difference between saying "kill all Americans" and "kill Chavez". On closer examination, I'm not too sure that the comparison would be 100% favourable towards the like of Robertson. From one perspective, the Muslim extremists are arguing from (albeit perverted) religious principle, whereas PR seems to be arguing from materialistic expediency.

As far we know, Chavez is innocent too. But surely there's more to morality than whether we think the victim deserves to die?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:28 AM   #198
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
The Christian Coalition serves to organize Conservative Christians so that they will vote effectively on important issues. It is by nature political. Pat Robertson has always been very ready to talk about recent modern events. He doesn't dictate national policy, but the say he has and the influence he carries are great, and those he leads definitely have a strong influence upon the nation's future. That is only right in a democracy, I might add. The fact that he is religious shouldn't mean he doesn't have the right to speak his opinion, even when his opinion is religious and political.
I think there is a difference between stating an opinion (I'm all for that) and calling on people to have somebody you don't like killed or forcefully removed in a country that is not even your own and where you have no say in who leads that country. The fact that he is religious is important IMO simply because he should know better than to use his influence and screen time for things like this.

Quote:
So it's alright if people use their influence through preaching to incite other to kill as long as they kill bad people? *mind slightly boggles*
Old 08-30-2005, 08:00 AM   #199
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
I think there is a difference between stating an opinion (I'm all for that) and calling on people to have somebody you don't like killed or forcefully removed in a country that is not even your own and where you have no say in who leads that country. The fact that he is religious is important IMO simply because he should know better than to use his influence and screen time for things like this.

So it's alright if people use their influence through preaching to incite other to kill as long as they kill bad people? *mind slightly boggles*
Pat Robertson was WAY out of line - and I think about everyone knows it. He does have some measure of influence, but only to the extent that he keeps his credibility. I think he lost a lot of both with that statement he made.

Don't worry - he doesn't hold sway over hordes of people who will mindlessly follow him. He has said some things that a lot of people agree with (personally - I've never been a big fan), so they say "Yeah that's right!" and continue to listen to him. He says something completely nuts like this, and a lot of those people will say "What an idiot!" and stop listening.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:36 PM   #200
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Do you think it is appropriate for an American preacher to urge people to take up arms, if our country is in a state of war?