Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2002, 06:22 AM   #1
Kallasilya
Hobbit

Gollum The filming of the movie!

Did anyone just see that thing on channel 9 (Australian channels ppl...) about lotr?!!!!!!! It was soooooo cool. It was on "Get Away" and the whole thing was about tours to places where movies had beeb made. It was really good!!! It had lots of footage from helicopters showing landscapes in New Zealand, then showing a quick film clip of the corresponding scenes in the movie. It had the place where Orthanc was situated, the mountain top (Carahdras... spelling? ) where the avalanche came down on them, the River Anduin, a few scenes from just outside Bree, and um..... just basically all the mountain scenes. COOL!!! but now I want to go see the movie again... or at least go on an all-expenses-paid tour to NZ just to see everything!
Kallasilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 07:17 AM   #2
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

Yes, my little were-helf friend (Hey, RE - did you know that shes half-elf, half-hobbit too? Well, except shes a werewolf as well )

I was watching it about an hour ago... and my dad and i were going "Know that place... and that..." We were quite surprised when we learnt where Mt Doom was, as thats a mountain pretty close to Rotorua that I've definately heard of and driven past in my short life...

I SO need to go there on my next trip to NZ in january!!! *Plans on going up to her poppa and pleading...*

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Can be found loitering at Fantasy Essentials or her livejournal...
Nazgûl Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 07:20 AM   #3
Kallasilya
Hobbit

Gollum Ooh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgûl Queen
Yes, my little were-helf friend (Hey, RE - did you know that shes half-elf, half-hobbit too? Well, except shes a werewolf as well )

I was watching it about an hour ago... and my dad and i were going "Know that place... and that..." We were quite surprised when we learnt where Mt Doom was, as thats a mountain pretty close to Rotorua that I've definately heard of and driven past in my short life...

I SO need to go there on my next trip to NZ in january!!! *Plans on going up to her poppa and pleading...*
TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2002, 07:33 AM   #4
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

U'd probably get bored... I'd spend most of the time at the beach...

*See's finlos' eyes go wide with delight*

Errrrrm... I dont think the family I'm staying with would appreciate it...

ANyhow, back on topic or the thread will be closed... does anyone else in entmoot live in Australia and happen to be watching channel 9 at around 8:00 tonight? (thursday)

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Old 05-17-2002, 05:04 AM   #5
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Yes I watched it! Did you see that hotel owner say that the cast and crew were all really nice and unassuming. New Zealand is so beautiful! And its not so far from here. I want to go. Did you see that competition where you can win free movies for life? Its really sad that all I could think was how many times I could go see the TT and ROTK. Here is the link to the places you can go and visit: http://ninemsn.com.au/getaway/
Old 05-17-2002, 06:39 AM   #6
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
WWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

This is REALLY unfair, now!!! *gets down on her knees and screams*someone has been to NEW ZEALAND!*deep breaths*

O.K...........I think I'm calm now,........JUST TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:27 AM   #7
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

Not ONLY have i been to NZ, but I go there yearly and lived there all my life until 4 years ago :P:P:P

It really is the most beautiful place in the world...

Old 05-17-2002, 10:24 PM   #8
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

OOoooooooh! I saw that! I saw that! We taped it so we can watch it again! Squeeeeeeeeee!
Now I want to visit NZ too! all those kiwi accents...
I only live a few hours flight from there anyway, I'm an aussie... Can I come and stay with any NZ entmooters? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeezee?
Oh well, worth a shot.
Lanelf.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:46 AM   #9
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I could have gone to New Zealand a few years ago as a school trip, but it cost to much for us at that time. Maybe us entmooters could go together on a trip and try and crash the sites where they are still filming and get a glimpse of Elijah!
Old 05-19-2002, 08:26 PM   #10
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Ok personally I think it'd be easier to go to LA and try to chatch a glimpse of Elijah there but then I live in Idaho so what the heck.

My Uncle went to New Zealand while they were filming the movie he didn't see anything but I THINK he went rafting down the Anduin. And isn't Mt. Doom Mt Cook? Near I think it's Lake Taupo? Nazgul Queen you should KNOW this. And the Shire was by Auckland was'nt it? That's basically all I know about the location an' all. I tried looking up New Zealand at the library to see if I could recognize any of the places where they filmed but the sily photographers didn't get ANY photos of the Middle-Earthy places the goose.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 03:44 AM   #11
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

It said in the filming of the movie which mountain it is... its the prettiest mountain in New Zealand. Near Rotorua in the NORTH island... Ngaraweha or something... *has a bad memory*

Mt Cook is in the South Island, near the Alps I believe...

But you cant expect a little 14 year old to know the entire geography of a country she hardly ever sees except for short trips...

And yes, the shire was filmed in Matamata which is just outside Auckland...

Btw, the reason that the library doesn't have pictures of the filming locations is cause they DELIBERATELY went to unknown places... Rivendell was in the far corner of a National Park in Wellington, for instance.