Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2001, 03:53 AM   #1
easterlinge

Oaths

How binding are oaths in Middle Earth? I get the feeling it binds the Elves absolutely, and maybe Dwarves too, but only a little for Men.

The Feanoreans, even good ones like Maedhros and Maglor were bound and trapped by Oath, yet Men seem to be able to against oath (like Ulfang's Tribe).

Does it have something to do with Elves subcreative abilities making their words absolutely binding?
Old 05-24-2001, 12:19 PM   #2
Angloril

Re: Oaths

At any rate, the elves have the hardest time with oathes for the simple reason that they have to keep them for an indefinite period of time! (try keeping a promise for a couple thousand years

I don't think there is any "magic" *takes cover* involved. I think it's simply a question of honor.

Honor is a very high value for the elves. Actually, it's much more than a value. It's somehow inbedded inside their very being. An oath is thus extremely binding for an elf, very near unbreakable.
Old 05-28-2001, 02:22 AM   #3
Inoldonil

Maybe. Personally I think it is because Elves are more bound to the world, its dooms and its fate. Men have the gift of Free Will.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:49 PM   #4
Lord Xanthyz

Oaths

Like Angloril said, since Elves don't die (except by being killed or from extreme grief), they have a LONG time to reap the consequences of breaking an oath if they did break one.
Old 06-01-2001, 03:02 PM   #5
Sephiroth9611

Men took their oaths seriously as well. Look at the oaths that bound Rohan and Gondor. They are given in "Unfinished Tales," and they are quite serious in nature. They were still being honored at the time of the War of the Ring.

It has nothing to do with magic, but has everything to do with the intentions of the oath-taker, and how seriously they take their oath.
Old 06-07-2001, 12:21 AM   #6
Inoldonil

Still, I think there is something about Elvish oaths that is more fatally binding than others.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:01 AM   #7
easygreen

oath-breaking is good

This discussion brings to mind the actions of Beregond in The Return of the King. I assume that when Beregond became a man-at-arms of the Tower of Guard, he took the very same oath that Pippin took when he came to Minas Tirith years later:
Old 06-07-2001, 03:39 PM   #8
Finduilas

Also the Men of Dunharrow were affected by their broken oath.
Old 06-24-2001, 02:05 AM   #9
Sister Golden Hair

I had wondered much about this before, but have learned from talking to others, and doing some rereading. The Oath of Feanor was sworn in Valinor and he calledManwe and Varda as witness, and he swore the Everlasting Darkness upon him and his sons if they were to break it. So, for them, I am not sure if there ever was an escape.

I have also wondered much about the Oath that Finrod swore to Barahir. This is another one that would not have been easy to get out of. Not only did Finrod swear this Oath to Barahir, but to aid his kin in any need. That was a fatal mistake on Finrod's part, but never did he back down, and his loyalty cost him his life.