Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2002, 07:51 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

...And the Future Holds.....What?

Well, there will come a time when we have all seen The Return of the King, Peter Jackson will go on to other projects, but the story will live on. Just what future reincarnations do you see for the works of the Master?

The original Dune was an abomination, the second TV version was better, but STILL off-target. Will there be a remake of the Lord of the Rings in twenty or thirty years?

I imagine someone will take another slash at making an animated film.

But one day, someone will start gathering the resources to revisit Middle-Earth in "real life" filmwork. Could another director take the intricate focus of Peter Jackson and still capture at least 98% of the books?

Who knows how films will be marketed in thirty years. Maybe theaters will be gone by then, everything coming to us via broadband hyperdigital bionetworked wristwatches with a forty-foot holographic projection screen...

But how do you think the next treatment of Lord of the Rings will fare? And will we ever see a film of Hobbit and Silmarillion?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 07:56 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

There will be no next treatment of The Lord of the Rings made for the cinema. A (probably animated) made-for-TV miniseries that's longer and more literal in adaptation, possibly, but there's no way anything's ever going to supplant Jackson's film as the definitive film of LOTR.

Which is a good thing. The fact that the Columbus Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is probably the definitive Potter treatment probably isn't as good a thing.

I wouldn't count on The Silmarillion, but I could imagine The Hobbit being done again. Eventually.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 08:05 PM   #3
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Ah, IronParrot, I would have to wholeheartedly disagree. I would predict it an almost certainty that a cinematic re-do of Lord of the Rings will be attempted, maybe multiple times. I can't see us reaching out into space, colonizing other planets and travelling between the stars and not make another attempt at telling Tolkien's story.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:17 PM   #4
olsonm
Elf Lord

It will probably be easier (technologically) to make LOTR 30yrs from now. Someone (probably a PJ hater) will want to make another version. On the other hand, IF PJ's version becomes a classic in the minds of the general population, a film re-make might be considered pointless.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:29 PM   #5
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

I believe I've seen some interview (dunno where though) that mentions Peter Jackson saying that if the Trilogy is a success, he might consider making the Hobbit and the Silmarillion (although making the Silmarillion might be kind of difficult in my point of view.)

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 09:51 PM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, you could think of it this way: How many "Robin Hood" or "King Arthur" movies have been made?

Granted, LotR is totally different than trying to film a legend, but there are plenty of films I thought were the "definitive" version and yet someone alwaays seems ot do a remake....or two....or three.....

Hobbit could be done easily, and Jackson needs his head examined if he doesn't get to it with Ian Holm as Bilbo...yes, I think he could pull off Bilbo in Hobbit, it will just seem that the Ring preserved him from the time of Hobbit til the Farewell Party....

Silmarillion as a film has been discussed elsewhere, but as technology advances we may very well see a real attempt to bring it to life, even if serialized.

No matterwhat, the success of this film now will prompt plenty of entertainment concerns in coming decades to launch into the world of Tolkien.....and all the better for us all.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:54 PM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
IF PJ's version becomes a classic in the minds of the general population, a film re-make might be considered pointless.
Actually, I have found thus far, that the re-makes are more likely to be pillaged from the firmly established classics, ie Psycho (and that WAS pretty pointless.)

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-13-2002 at 09:55 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 10:03 PM   #8
olsonm
Elf Lord

That's just my point, the Psycho remake was pointless.
edit: reading my mind again eh?

Perhaps I should say pervasive. If the next two parts are just as successful and it gets shown on TV regularly, PJ's version will become pervasive. I'm thinking of films like Gone With the Wind, Wizard of Oz, and It's A Wonderful Life. If PJ's version doesn't reach this level somebody will remake it.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:07 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
If PJ's version doesn't reach this level somebody will remake it.
Ah. Well, I was just trying to say that re-makes are MORE likely to be made of classics, than those that don't make the grade.

I think LOTR WILL be remade, immaterial of whether or not it becomes a classic (I don't think it will. A good film, maybe, but not a classic.)

However, if it does reach that pedestal, then it would make it *very* hard on whomever tries to do a remake. And of course if it doesn't, then it's every monkey for himself, to make a "better" version.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:20 PM   #10
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Even if the film trilogy becomes a definitive version, I think they'll do some teeny stuff like "10 Things I Hate About You" (Taming of the Shrew) or "Cruel Intentions" (Dangerous Liaisons) "O" (Othelo). I wouldn't even put past them to cast Julia Stiles or Sarah Michelle Gellar. There's just too much money to be made now that the potential has been realized. I think it will be milked whether or not anyone approves/disapproves.

But I would look forward to a Special Edition version of PJ's work with extra or even changed scenes like what they did for Star Wars.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:32 PM   #11
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well, that's coming in the DVD.

The comparisons to Gone With The Wind are appropriate. I'd throw in titles such as The Godfather and Doctor Zhivago as well. The thing is, the film itself is already quickly becoming such a classic in the world of cinema that it would be sheer madness for anybody to attempt a remake. Simply put, no studio would fund it. And the recent presence of stupid, pointless remakes - and their complete commercial failures - is an indication that such remakes will decline in quantity.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 11:34 AM   #12
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Well they'll be a hobbit soon i imagines. it is not hard to make it. there has already been a hobbit theatre production a couple of years book. I have not read the sil yet but from what i have heard it will be very very difficult to turn into a film. then again, they said that about LotR.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 12:35 PM   #13
rainbow
Enting

i think that it would be cool to have a 3d version of lotr as it would definetly b good if done well (and we didnt have to wear really really silly glasses

BANANERISM RULES!!!!!

the spotty dog chases its tail till all its spots fall off!
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 03:49 PM   #14
ladyisme
Enting

I predict that there will indeed be a remake of LOTR and that this remake (in true HollyWood fashion) will be poorly planed, based on special effects for special effects sake, with little or none of the origanal plot and will be as cheesy as a rodents convention.

Quote:
"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 03:54 PM   #15
ladyisme
Enting

Treebeard

P.S. This is my 100th post.

Yeay for ME!!!

Quote:
"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:35 PM   #16
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

well i am going to film school. maybe i should make a LOTR when i gets older. and more talented. and beeter looking, and smarter, and taller, and friendlier and- oh.. was i yammering again?

anyways, i want to make a movie that would be nothing but the best LOTR movie ever, and i wouldn't put it past myself to do the hobbit and the sil. (which i am almost thru for the second time, it takes me about threee to get everything down, ya for me)
it would prolly be about 20 hours long, but it'd be lotr so it be a fun 20 hours.

and it would be just for tolkein fans
Old 05-15-2002, 01:47 PM   #17
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I think it's going to be a very loooooong time before any attempt is made to top PJ's films.

The Hobbit has, I think a lot of potential to be put on the big screen. The Silmarillion is less likely, I fear. I'd love to see both....
Old 05-16-2002, 09:05 AM   #18
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

trhe ilmarillion...have to be multiple films, or a few central stories eg Beren Lutien, Turin, Tuor/Gondol;in, with narration and maybe some battles (Dagor Braggolach, Nirnaeth Arnoeid) in between. If they didn't put in Fingolfin and Melkor's battle scene I woould be really angry.