Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-01-2002, 10:05 AM   #1
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Qualities of Elven Songs

I remember reading somewhere that Elven songs/lays/poems had a quality about them which so entranced the listener(s) it seemed as though they were actually watching the events unfold before them - as if they were transported into the song itself. What power! To have the ability to evoke events and people long since past via music and words. I imagine Sam would have called it" Elvish magic."

My question is, where did I read this? Also do you ever feel that kind of "magic" when you hear live music/poetry?

I have had expirences which have left me stunned... I would like to know if any mooters have had similar things happen to them.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 10:28 AM   #2
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

I'm afraid to say that I only feel the elvish magic with the elvish songs. The elvish songs capture the moment perfectly so the emotion can be felt. Whether it is pain or joy only the elves can bring that out.
Nothing on this earth has the same effect.

Of course I may just live a sheltered life.

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:56 AM   #3
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwarven Sen
Nothing on this earth has the same effect.

Of course I may just live a sheltered life.
I have been in the presence of poets and performers that have, for me, evoked images of people and lands and events in times beyond this existance. Mind you, it doesn't happen all the time.

But about Elven song does anyone know what I am looking for?

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:55 PM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

I can coax any reasonably well-written book to do that for me, but LotR works best. No music does that for me except the Elf songs. *watches Luthien dance*
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 01:43 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

I had that experience when I'd go to Grateful Dead concerts. The music seemed to affect the audience in such a way that everybody was "taken away" with the music. Everybody was on the same wavelength and it was incredible.

I also get "carried away" by well-written books, and some music or certain songs evoke very vivid images for me.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 05:44 PM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

You read it in the Lord of the Rings, quite probably. It can be observed while Frodo is dozing off in Elrond's House, Chapter 2, Book II. It is also referred to in A Part of the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen in the Appendices. Young Aragorn, having become aware of his true identity, is walking through the silver birch-woods of Rivendell singing that part of the Lay of Leithien where Beren meets Lúthien. He then walks into a glade and finds Arwen dancing. He thought he had gained the gift of the Elves and strayed into his own song; Arwen he mistook for Lúthien herself.