Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2002, 06:44 PM   #21
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

There was once a man who felt his people didn't have a mythology. He loved to read the myths of related peoples, even to the point of learning ancient dead languages. He became one of the most knowledgeable people in certain dead forms of his own language. But secretly, that wasn't what he wanted. He wanted to create a mythology for his people. His journals began to be filled with poems and tales of the imaginary people of this imaginary mythology. He wrote the songs they sang and the stories they told. He wrote in the old dead languages, and he wrote in old dead forms. He addressed (in his journal) the people he lived with to tell them that he could see the beings of myth in the elms that surrounded them all.

He went to war and was injured, and he returned home to the girl he wanted to marry. She helped him recover from his injuries and encouraged his mythologizing. He wrote, she copy-edited. They married and had children.

He was hired to write a dictionary, then he became a teacher of old dead languages and ancient texts. Over his life he wrote many books, eventually publishing what was to be called "the book of the century".

Many years after he died, a filmmaker used the settings from his books and a few elements of his stories to make a movie.

Then people who said they "hated to read" declared themselves fans.

The very idea that anyone would defend illiteracy and use his name in that context reached under the ground, and he rolled over in his grave!
Old 04-25-2002, 08:12 PM   #22
Elf Girl
Lurker

Indeed!
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 08:18 PM   #23
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Go Elfhelm! Couldn't have put it better myself.

And yes, I've still got this pot of boiling hot oil here, if you want I should put you in it.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:49 PM   #24
Darth Tater
The man

It's nice to know there are some people here who agree with me
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:27 PM   #25
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

good history lesson... wanna cookie? (there chocolate chip)

i never heard him say that he wass a TOLKEIN fan. but just a movie fan.

if he did say he was a tolkein fan then i agree with tater.

he is a peter jackson fan, and a movie fan, posting in the forum and thread (whish was clearly labeled) for movie business,.. so i am still having just a little bit of trouble understanding why people are against him?

hmm

haha i said whish :P
Old 04-25-2002, 11:25 PM   #26
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Who is this man Elfhelm speaks of, did he write some book?
I read the LOTR for the first time a few years ago and I can't get the images of the movie out of my head. I prefer EW as Frodo cause he looks so much better than the illustrations I see in books. And I never thought I would think bad thoughts about Frodo and Aragorn!
I agree that since this is a movie forum you don't need to read the books to particpate.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:00 AM   #27
Blackheart
Elf Lord

I tried my best to get people to read the books before they saw the movie.

The happiest I have been in a long time is when my eight year old son turned to me in the movie theatre and said " That's not a Balrog, it's got a Cow's head!"

It's humbling to be vindicated by a small child.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 04:08 AM   #28
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

I have been reading lotr more or less constantly for a long time now, the biggest compliment i can give PJ is that at times i felt i had seen the movie before , im sure hes been in my head nicking my images - but I do agree that reading the thing is a must , with all due respect to PJ its a peice of the pie not the full hit - long live the written word !
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 11:40 AM   #29
Valacirca
Hobbit

I have read the books many many times before seeing the movie, and I must say that I wasn´t even sure would I go to see it, because I was afraid that it would change my images of it, but luckily it didn´t - now when I read the book, I still see my own images of characters and places in my mind. A friend of mine told that she sees Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn now, and I was like "eeew..." Reading a book before seeing the movie is better IMO, but still - movies are fine too. Even though they wouldn´t be what you expect. (meaning = PJ´s vision was quite different than mine. )
Valacirca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 11:53 AM   #30
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
I tried my best to get people to read the books before they saw the movie.

The happiest I have been in a long time is when my eight year old son turned to me in the movie theatre and said " That's not a Balrog, it's got a Cow's head!"

It's humbling to be vindicated by a small child.
Hee hee! Children do say the funniest things! I once had a friends sister say to me about cheese on toast 'why don't you put the cheese on first?' Made me laugh!

Sorry that wasn't veery relevant but i thought it was funny...

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 01:32 PM   #31
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
...my eight year old son ...
Aww, Blackheart. You have a little orclet, you old softy, you!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 01:34 PM   #32
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I think vig stated my feeling best about the current movie. It's one piece of the pie. There were other movies, and there will be more made. To me, a movie producers rendition is just like a painter or musician's rendition. They are all tributes to the original and were never meant to do anything more than supplement the experience. I bet every actor in these movies, along with the directors and set designers and computer animators right down to the last little grip haulling heavy cameras up a snowy mountainside, read the books. So I don't think someone who sees the movie and refuses to read the books ever got the point, and can't possibly be a fan.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:43 PM   #33
Elf Girl
Lurker

Tater, was it you who changed the subject?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 02:07 AM   #34
Entlover
Elven Warrior

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel

he is a peter jackson fan, and a movie fan, posting in the forum and thread (whish was clearly labeled) for movie business,.. so i am still having just a little bit of trouble understanding why people are against him?

One reason I like the Entmoot is there's no foul (Orc-like) language, as I've seen on other sites.
It would be enjoyable if we also tried to go easy on people we don't agree with -- don't trash them on brief acquaintance. I have a dear friend who's illiterate, has many good qualities, but would look a fool if he tried to post here, . . we can't all be professors of literature. No one who posts here can be all bad if they love FotR, movie, book or comic version! (Hey, where's the comic?)
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 03:12 AM   #35
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Elfhelm

I think you are a poet
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams