Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2002, 06:37 AM   #21
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I've heard that Elves just rest there minds and think about things.
They can do this whilethey are walking too. They don't close there eyes to do this either!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 05:40 PM   #22
Arwen4ever
Hobbit

I dont think they actually close their eyes, they're just out of it for a while, while they walk

FRODO LIVES
Arwen4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 04:32 PM   #23
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

That would be weired, just being out of it, even when they walk, but cool at the same time. Why can't humans sleep like that? It would make life a lot easier and longer too if you think about it. Not having to speand half of it sleeping.

(By sleeping i mean laid down with eyes closed completley uncontious)

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 04:49 PM   #24
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I think that everyone is ignoring what Tolkien has said himself. He gives specific examples of Elves sleeping in a normal state. As I said and I believe MM said, they have a meditative state, but sleep is essential to the essence of life for everything flesh and blood. The Elves are of the stuff of earth.

Also, in Morgoth's Ring, "Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth" Finrod and Andreth discuss the differences between humans and Elves. Although they differed from us in many ways particularly in their immortality, They were not extraordinarily different. Only in certian ways. Finrod's words to Andreth "We are closer akin to man then any other creatures in the world" Elves may not have been human, but they are of human kind.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote