Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2002, 11:26 AM   #41
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Also, what is going to happen about Grishnakh and co?

Note: Just what colour is sallow anyway? In Moria Gandalf says that some of the orcs were "Black Uruks of Mordor"
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 01:50 PM   #42
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I didn't really have a problem with the orcs too much - except when they went climbing up and down the pillars in moria like insects.

Also the one that said "What does the eye command?" to Saruman - they reminded me of the monkeys out of the Wizard of Oz.

I think orcs were more combative in the books - they were always arguing with each other and fighting. Have to see in TT when orcs have more close up and personal screen time.

Oh and the comment about the US - the US is a microcosm of the world. So to say that the US does not get influenced by the world is complete nonsense. I live in New Jersey - one of the most diversified states in the country and my ancestory is Italian, Polish, Czechoslovakian , Irish, Russian . The solution to all the countries that don't want to be "Americanized" - stop buying our products or seeing our films. It's supply and demand. For all of France's complaining about McDonalds - if they weren't making money - they wouldn't be there (I hate fast food anyway).

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-24-2002 at 02:12 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:17 PM   #43
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Sallow? WHO you callin' SALLOW?

Sallow = "Of a sickly yellowish hue or complexion." (according to bartleby.com)

Re" Logolas stabbing the orc with the arrow
It was a cool move. C'mon, Gerb, in the heat of battle the poor goblin didn't even see it coming.

(This part is to everyone, in general)
With the type of hand-to-claw combat that the Professor wrote about and PJ attempted to portay, you have to suspend your unbelief a quite a bit. (How can somebody make "more realistic" movie goblins, hobbits, etc. ).

If you don't, you won't enjoy the movie as much. I mean, even in the books, the odds in Moria were possibly a hundred or more against Nine. For the Nine not to get demolished (wizard or no wizard), SOMETHING has to be seriously wrong with the hundred (orcs, trolls, bats, cave rats--no offense, Gerbil ), etc.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)

Last edited by ragamuffin92 : 01-24-2002 at 02:20 PM.
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:24 PM   #44
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Also the one that said "What does the eye command?" to Saruman - they reminded me of the monkeys out of the Wizard of Oz.
Really? I liked those ones most. They were almost (but not completely) exactly like orcs I had imagined. Even the voice was right.
I could stand the looks of Uruk Hai, but they could had been done better. I can't imagine those dudes being scared, rebel or amused. Only always ready for battle. I didn't think them like that.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:29 PM   #45
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Maybe the scene just came off as sort of Wizard of Ozish. It just reminded me very much of when the witch tells the head monkey to go and get Dorothy. Even his mannerisms reminded me of the monkey. Of course I loved the monkeys - they were my favorite part in the movie.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 05:42 AM   #46
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I thought the Uruk-hai were the best orcs, the Moria goblins were too uniform to be lurking underground in a rabble.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:12 AM   #47
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

Although the Orc's really are the dumbest things that walk on Middle Earth (besides trolls). The thing i was most disapointed about them in the movie was the way that they looked. They seemed to me to look a little bit alien like and look like they belonged in a Star Wars movie.
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 01:21 AM   #48
anduin
Entwife

In a Star Wars movie?! What's that?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 07:24 AM   #49
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

What do you mean whats that?
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 11:06 AM   #50
Sween
im quite stupid

Gandalf

From a movie making standpoint the abalities of the orcs cannot be great. If they were they would spend half the time fighting and be unrealist for them to be alive.

jackson has made them to be more animal than human (or elf) again its one of these things that will nbever translate well from the book.

the part that really was stupid involving the fighting is at the end when Aragon finishes fighting Lurtz there must be hundreads of dead orcs and no way did they kill that many. also they apear to of moved from the bridge.

Did any one else noticed some of the Orcs skipping down the stairs they moved really comically some of them esspecially the long sweeping shot after the horn of gondor.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:12 AM   #51
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I think that if there wasn't any Orcs then it wouldn't be as good at all because ther wouldn't be anything for them to fight against would there?
Orcs take up a large proportion of the film don't they?
They are very creepy in the film but I still think that they are pretty cool!!!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 05:16 AM   #52
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Now that would be really stupid...

"Drums, Drums in the deep, here come the evil mutant worms and beetles..."

Actually some of the orcs did look like mutant worms....

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Old 04-26-2002, 02:52 PM   #53
Elf Girl
Lurker

What's weird is in that scene where the Uruk-Hai are pouring out of Isengard, Elijah Wood was probably one of them! They needed all their extras as well as the cast to creat that scene.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 03:10 PM   #54
Agburanar
Elf Lord

He'd have been squashed into the dirt...

How did they miss such a wonderful chance to stop filming?

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Old 04-27-2002, 09:21 PM   #55
Gildor
Hobbit

Orcs.
Hmmm. Well in LOTR they seem strong enough as long as their leader controls their resolve, but melt into insects in the sun when he crumples. Remember, it was the men who had been recruited by Sauron who stayed to fight after all the others. The biggest Orc weakness was their lack of love or loyalty for each other. It was "each for himself" which contrasted nicely with the "fellowship". It does stretch it a bit to have the orcs weaker than the hobbits, but they don't seem to be in the book. Merry and Pippin gain their fame by doing one courageous swipe early in the battle and then are saved from further fighting. Sam scares an already scared and exhausted orc who thinks he is a super-elf. I don't remember Frodo actually fighting the orcs. Oh well, they don't seem to have a lot of intelligence. That's what happens when you twist and corrupt something good (elves). Didn't Morgoth realize that most mutations weaken the organism?

However, the list of the mighty warriors killed at the battle of Pelennor fields is pretty impressive. Probably, orcs were responsible for many of those. I hope they don't show it in the movie. Something about watching the good guys get slaughtered takes the joy out of a film.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:47 PM   #56
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Luckily for me I could NEVER invision the orcs when I read the books so the movie orcs are fine by me, although I DOO remeber seeing them as a BIT drier and not all those pretty shades of blue and green but more grey like. Oh Well. I liked the faces. THEY were cool.
How smart can orcs REALLY be if two tweenaged hobbits from the Shire could out wit them? I mean Pippin isn't EXACTLY the ideal picture of intelligence even in the books and yet he's the first one to: A. Untie his bonds and then RETIE them(wasn't it in the dark?) B. Leave a message for Aragorn and Co. C. The FIRST to catch on to Grishnaks plan to take the Ring, and D. Get the heck out of there. Orcs couldn't be THAT intelligiant if ONE TWEENAGED Hobbit did all THAT to a whole troop of proffesional, mature, adult fighting Urukhai. I mean come on they are NOT known for their High IQs. They must be REALLY kind of stupid if the movie Pippin could beat them in a game of wits. It's NATURAL.
I agree completely with Ragamuffin.Good points there. And another thing you guys. THIS...IS...A...MOVIE! FANTASY. NOT...REALITY! It's OK for it to be UNREALISTIC!
Gerbil you're pessimistic but funny. I laughed hard druing osme of your sarcastic posts. LOL
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 06:26 AM   #57
Sween
im quite stupid

In the movie somes of the orc cannot be much more than a few weeks old. this if we want to get that in depth is probably wh6y they are such rubbish fighters because they have not had any training. PJ will probably have the orcs been a lot harder later on in the film but for the early part he has had to have them not be that hard so the fellowship can survive.

In relation to fighting the orcs the fellowship should all come across as fighting machines for me it was only legolas that u felt could destroy a whole army of them himself.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:50 PM   #58
Elf Girl
Lurker

I imagined the orcs all the same, sort of dark red with lighter red veins.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote