Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 10:19 AM   #1
Laurenis
Enting

ok so define Numenor???

ok so ^ can anyone do that? i know i probably sound like a total loser.. but im very confused about the actually definition of the Numenor someone please help me!

--Ren*
ps, oh yeh theres the acute accent on the u... ive forgotten how to do them sorry!
Old 02-06-2002, 11:05 AM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: ok so define Numenor???

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurenis
ok so ^ can anyone do that? i know i probably sound like a total loser.. but im very confused about the actually definition of the Numenor someone please help me!

--Ren*
ps, oh yeh theres the acute accent on the u... ive forgotten how to do them sorry!
Geesh Laurenis, all those colors hurt my poor little eyes. OK, let's see if Robert Foster can help you out here. From the Complete Guide to Middle-earth:

Numenor- The rich and powerful kingdom of the Dunedain in the Second Age, founded in SA 32 on a great island raised by the Valar in the western waters of Belegaer. The westernmost of mortal lands, Numenor was granted to the Edain as a reward for their valor ad faithfullness in the War of the Great Jewels. The Kings of Numenor were Elros Tar-Minyatur and his descendants, after 1075 the sceptre passed to the oldest child of the king, whether male or female.

I hope this helps. Foster says much more, but I'm too lazy to type all of it. If you want more info, let me know and I'l type it for you.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:09 AM   #3
Laurenis
Enting

ah merci!! heehee sorry 'bout the colors... man im soooo bored! im at home from school... very poorly. mom thinks its the flu but i swear its god damn glandular fever (sp??)... um maybe not but im feeling very sorry 4 myself. its not TOO bad tho cus im having a chance to get lots of reading in
'Therefore he willed that the hearts of Men should seek beyond the world and should find no rest therein; but they should have a virtue to shape their life, amid the powers and chances of the world, beyond the Music of the Ainur, which is as fate to all things else; and of their operation everything should be, in form and deed, completed, and the world fulfilled unto the last and smallest.'
Old 02-06-2002, 06:58 PM   #4
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

According to a brief sketch published in Unfinished Tales, Númenor is approximately 250 miles in Diameter. The Island is separated into 5 regions, Andustar, Forostar, Orrostar, Hyarrostar and Hyarnustar. I don't know the actual meaning of Númenor, though it is a Adunic word.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:17 PM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

And Numenor is somewhat "Atlantean" in concept.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:10 AM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Númenor isn't Adunaic CBG, it's in Quenya. It means Westernesse, i.e., 'Land in the West'.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:29 AM   #7
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Theoden

The land of Numenor resembled in outline a five-pointed star, or pentangle, with a central portion some two hundred and fifty miles across, north and south, and east and west, from which extended five large peninsular promontories. These were regarded as seperate regions, and they were named Forostar (Northlands), Andustar (Westlands), Hyarnustar (southwestlands), Hyarrostar (southeastlands), and Orrostar (eastlands). The central portion was called Mittalmar ( inlands) and it had no coast, except the land about Romenna and the head of its firth. A small part of the Mittalmar was,,however, seperated from the rest, and called Arandor, the Kingsland.

If you want more info check out "Unfinished Tales"- A description of Numenor. I dont feel like type the whole chapter
Old 04-05-2002, 02:43 AM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Tar-Elenion! Too long one of Entmoot's most treasured scholars has been gone. Or anyway you don't visit much anymore. You shouldn't be a Hobbit. What was your old user title? You had many more posts than that.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:18 AM   #9
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

*Enters the Encyclopedia of Arda *
Quote:
Númenor
Ancient home of the Dúnedain

Dates: Founded II 32, destroyed II 3319. Endured for 3,287 years.
Race: Men
Division: Edain
Culture: Númenóreans
Other Names: Akallabêth, Anadûnê, Andor, Atalantë, The Downfallen, Elenna, The Land of Gift, Mar-nu-Falmar, Númenórë, Starwards, Westernesse
Meaning: 'Land in the West' (i.e. west from Middle-earth)
Pronunciation: noo'menorr
(the final 'r' should be pronounced; 'rr' is used here to emphasise this)

General map of Númenor1
The island kingdom of the Dúnedain, raised from the sea by the Valar as a gift and reward to the Men who had remained faithful through the dark years of the First Age. The Edain who had dwelt in Beleriand were led to the island in II 32 by Elros the Half-elven, who unlike his brother Elrond had chosen to be counted among Men rather than Elves.

Elros became the first King of Númenor, taking the name Tar-Minyatur. Under his rule, and the rule of his descendants, the Númenóreans rose to become the most powerful nation of Men in that or any other age. Their mighty ships returned to Middle-earth in II 600, and there they founded havens and cities.

For the early part of their history, the Númenóreans were closely allied with the Elves of Tol Eressëa, which lay close to their western shores. The Elves visited them often, and taught them much, but the Númenóreans themselves were forbidden to sail westwards, because the Valar feared they would become envious of the Undying Lands they and the Elves inhabited.

As their greatness and power grew, the Númenóreans began to turn against the Ban of the Valar, and at last Ar-Adûnakhôr, who became King in II 2899 turned openly against it, though he did not dare defy it.

The last King of Númenor was Ar-Pharazôn the Golden, who usurped the throne of the rightful queen MÃ*riel in II 3255. He took his armies to Middle-earth to make war upon Sauron, and so great had the Númenóreans become that Sauron's forces deserted him. Seeing an opportunity to destroy his enemy, Sauron sued for peace and returned with the King to Númenor. He gradually gained Ar-Pharazôn's trust, and persuaded him to sail openly against the Valar. This he did in II 3319, but as he set foot on the forbidden shores of Aman, the Land of Gift was taken away and swallowed beneath the waves forever.

Some few survived the Downfall; Elendil, his sons and his followers had prepared themselves for the disaster and taken ship, and were driven back across the seas to Middle-earth. There they founded the famous realms of Arnor and Gondor, though these were but a dim reflection of the glory of Númenor at its height.

Last edited by emplynx : 04-05-2002 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2002, 09:58 PM   #10
Khadrane
Elf Lord

What they said.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Old 04-08-2002, 06:22 AM   #11
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Yeah, what Khadrane said . . . "what they said."

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Old 04-08-2002, 05:44 PM   #12
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Hmmmmm. On that note, I think it's about time this thread was closed. It serves no further purpose, except so far as some users' post count is concerned.