Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2002, 01:37 PM   #61
Pip
Elven Warrior

I just got into Lord of the Rings this past February. When the movie came out, alot of the A.G.A.T.E. classes at my school began to read the Felowship of the Ring. I got into it more than I expected. I'm reading the Hobbit also and me and two of my friends are planning on doing our independent study in school on the Lord of The Rings trilogy.
Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 02:13 PM   #62
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Good on ya, Pip, and wlecome to the Moot!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 03:08 PM   #63
Goatee
Hobbit

My first grade teacher read the Hobbit to us, it took the whole year. I could not wait for the end so I talked to my Mom about it. My parents, it turns out, were fans of the books. My Mom read the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to me and by the time I was in the fourth grade, I read almost everything Tolkien, multiple times. I still praise that teacher every time I pick up a book, because of The Hobbit, I am an avid reader. To think of all the stories I would have missed if not for my first grade teacher, Larry Larson.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:22 AM   #64
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

At some point beyond the reach of easy recall my parents bought me a boxed Hobbit through RotK set, and I have been reading them off and on since then. I probably first read the Hobbit in third or fourth grade (I know, I was a strange kid... oh wait, I still am a strange kid!) and I have been reading them ever since. For a long time (geesh, seven years, that's half my life!) I read them inbetween other books. I picked up the Sil once in 6th grade, but I couldn't get through it. Then I found Entmoot (entirely randomly, I have no idea how) and I decided I HAD to read the Sil, bought the Sil, read it, then promptly got UT and some of the HoME, which I am reading now.

Wow that was a boring post...*snores from other mooters- oh wait, that's me. *
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 07:08 PM   #65
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

I have a habit at the library to close my eyes, walk through the book shelves and run my finger over the books. I stop and whatever book my finger stops on is the next book I read... well one Saturday I was in the science fiction/fantasy section. I stopped on The Hobbit. I took it home read it, got hooked and read LotR.
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:29 PM   #66
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

That's a really cool way to find books, elf-princess! I should try it sometime. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:40 PM   #67
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

I like to do it that way... but sometimes you get some books that are just... well they're terrible... but then you get some pleasant surprises! it's a risk... lol
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote