Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2002, 09:50 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

The Greatest Author of the Twentieth Century

Not that I would ever dispute this title, but I was wondering if this is an authentic label, or just an opinion of Tolkien fans. I have seen this said a lot since the movie came out. Does this stem from actual book sales? Is this just in a fantasy catagory, or author overall? What about guys like Stephen King? Anyway Tolkien is in my book.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 10:47 PM   #2
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I don't know about author, but I do know for a fact that LOTR was rated the best book of the century in 2000. My mom found that out for me on an amazon.com bookmark.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:55 AM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes, it's been voted the best story of the century (of the Millenium in one poll) in several different surveys. Also, since the first publication of The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings has sold more copies than any other book save The Bible. J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter has sold the fastest (bar The Bible), but noone's written a book that has sold more copies than Rings.

Last I heard the LR has sold over 8,000,000 copies world-wide.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:40 PM   #4
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

The public library in my parents' town was giving a free list of the Top 100 novels of the Century (but it doesn't say whose list it is. LotR didn't make it. #1 is Ulysses by James Joyce.

Read about the Lady Legrace
Sauron's Nagging Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 02:54 AM   #5
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron's Nagging Wife

The public library in my parents' town was giving a free list of the Top 100 novels of the Century (but it doesn't say whose list it is. LotR didn't make it. #1 is Ulysses by James Joyce.

"So what´s for dinner? Fissssh....?"

Seriously, I think many lists exclude Tolkien books as being non-serious literature. Little do they know...
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:54 PM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I had seen the listing of James Joyce's "Ulysses" as having been the greatest work of literature of the twentieth century as well, Sauron's Wife, and I could not disagree with that assessment any more heartily.

"Ulysses" could have been written by a five-year-old with a crayon. No punctuation. I have no comprehension how a work of "literature" can avoid the use of punctuation and be considered "serious."

As for whether The Lord of the Rings is the greatest work of literature of the twnetieth century, it is, in my EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO opinion. Tolkien didn't just create characters, he created an entire WORLD, fleshed out with a new mythology, languages, and a history. He broke new ground, established it for his own. Tolkien was an incredible scholar, a professor at Oxford and Leeds, a man for whom scholarship and research were sine qua non issues. Plus, and here is a salient issue, the man was HUMBLE. He himself would probably quail at his works being listed among the greatest in the twentieth century, but I think that an honest assessment of the amount of work which went into LotR would reach the same conclusion.

As for Stephen King, I care not for his writings. I find him a cheap knock-off of HP Lovecraft. Of course, it is so very easy for an "author" to get published by standing on the back of another who has created a TRUE work of imagination...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 02:38 PM   #7
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Why quibble? Even if JRRT is in the top ten it's a great acknowledgement from the establishment.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:50 PM   #8
Kiri
Hobbit

Right now we're too close to one part of that century to really judge. Tolkien could be on the English-language short list, I'd say--but it's too soon to say anything more than that.

I'd say the best way to judge would be to ask in 2401. Anybody remembered by that time would be a good candidate.
Kiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
Why quibble? Even if JRRT is in the top ten it's a great acknowledgement from the establishment.
Oh, I agree. I was just wondering if this title had popped up because of the movie, or if it was due to book sales or whatever. I think that there were many great writers of the twentieth century. None greater than he.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:20 PM   #10
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

kiri, I wholeheartedly agree that the true test of the greatness of ANY author of the twentieth century will be who is still recognized, remembered and read in 2401. I for one hope that it will be the most treasured writings available on the Mars Colonies and out on the satellite cities of Tau Ceti!

SPOCK: Captain, dropping out of warp. Klingon warbird de-cloaking off the starboard bow.

KIRK: Arrrgh! Servants of Sauron! Great enemies of the free peoples of Middle-Earth!

SPOCK: Fascinating....the DO bear a strong resemblance to Uruk-Hai...

[Okay, okay, okay, maybe I don't have the year right!]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:47 PM   #11
Brimvalir
Elven Warrior

Treebeard Best Author

Tolkien beats King hands down

All that is gold does not glitter nor are all those who wander lost......
Brimvalir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 01:01 AM   #12
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I don't see too many people living out King's nightmare stories almost ever day of their lives.

Of course I think the Professor is The GREATEST.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 01:20 AM   #13
Mirkgirl
Sapling

Well, it was some guy, he wrote about some tiny men and rings, can't remember the name now
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 02:29 AM   #14
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

personnaly i think the totality of tolkiens works would warrant the title of the greatest fantasy writer of the century. i cant think of any other writings that achieved the same depth and detail than tolkien's books. thats why people have emmersed(sp) themselves in his works.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:11 PM   #15
silmälasi
Hobbit

Nazgul literature

the world literature is such a vast subject that in my opinion there is no way that anybody could rate all the books that have ever been written. but the general opinion amongs those in some kind of position to know something about literature is that lord of the rings is one of the 100 most influential books ever written. Ps. i did not find james joyce`s ulysses very satisfying .humas are slaves to categorisation and statistics.