Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2002, 08:47 PM   #41
olsonm
Elf Lord

Lelondul

I get flamed by olsonm all the time (see 'Why are you weird' or 'sam..., kinda dim?' threads for proof). He is a troll and I hate him! You, on the other hand, gave a very reasonable response to my half-a$$ed post. (It did burn just a little thou' )
Old 03-24-2002, 02:00 AM   #42
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Lelondul - I don't think the wizard duel even had to be shown. Tolkien was much more subtle in what happened in LOTR. Gandalf spinning on his head was almost as stupid as the Flight to the Ford scene. Wizards duel is my second most hated scene in the movie for several reasons. It has Gandalf following Saruman like a whipped dog begging for his master's forgiveness - then it has Gandalf spinning on his head (which was completely laughable).

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 05:04 PM   #43
olsonm
Elf Lord

Of course the 'duel' lasted barely a minute and Gandalf's 'breakdance' lasted only a few seconds. It intrigues me to see such a small moment evoke such a strong response. It goes, I think, to the heart of the various debates over the film.
The first interview of PJ's that I read had him saying something to the effect of, "This movie is my interpretation and isn't supposed to be the last word on LoTR adaptions." This makes rational sense, but the problem is that the movie probably IS the last word on LoTR adaptions for quite some time, perhaps decades.
That is why so many people are (for lack of a better word) nitpicky. They are concerned about how the movie will reflect on the book in the minds of the (non-reader) public.
There are, of course, differences of taste but these seem secondary to me. I personally enjoyed the movie and am looking forward to the next two, but this has more to do with the fact that I happen to like the kind of movie PJ made then thinking it was a spot-on adaption.
I am interested in what people think of the interpretation vs. adaption differentiation. Is it just splitting hairs or is it a legitmate distinction?

Last edited by olsonm : 03-24-2002 at 05:05 PM.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote