Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2000, 04:26 AM   #1
arynetrek

mass reading?

i know this is really way too early to be planning anything, but i think we should do a collective reading before the movies come out - we agree on a start date (sept. 22 2001, anyone?) & (at least try to) read at the same pace. just to get us all ready for the movies. (or, if the movies really suck, to give ourselves the true version before we're subjected to the blasphemy.)

hopefully this won't be forgotten in a year.

aryne *
Old 09-04-2000, 11:34 AM   #2
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: mass reading?

The whole trilogy or just The Fellowship of the Ring? Either way is fine with me.
Old 09-04-2000, 01:22 PM   #3
Eruve

I've already started a re-read... But I may not have as much time as others so I don't have a big head-start; just the first two chapters of Fellowship.
Old 09-04-2000, 11:45 PM   #4
Gilthalion

The Mrs and I missed a few days. Tonight I read to her through Farewell to Lorien.
Old 09-05-2000, 12:22 AM   #5
Shanamir Duntak

That would be a great idea... I would do it with you guys!
Old 09-05-2000, 03:26 AM   #6
arynetrek

i was thinking the whole trilogy - and if we start now (instead of a year from now) we'll have a LOT of time for the busy people...

aryne *
Old 09-07-2000, 04:39 PM   #7
Shanamir Duntak

Ok... just let me the time to buy the book...
Old 09-08-2000, 05:52 PM   #8
Film Hobbit

Actually I am going to intentionally avoid re-reading LOTR until I have seen all three films. Otherwise, all the little details of the story will still be in my mind and I'll get all hung up on the little details that will be left out. I want to be able to go into the theatre with an open mind and really enjoy the films without nitpicking over little things.
Old 09-08-2000, 06:23 PM   #9
Shanamir Duntak

Q

I juts won't be able to do as you will. I just bought my own copy of LOTR today... not the cheap, pocket one, the deluxe edition, with drawings by Lee.

118.77$CA

But I bought it in french, since the english version is pretty hard to find here in Québec. Eruve said that it was easier to find it in Montréal but i don't have 6 hours to go there and back...
Old 09-08-2000, 09:10 PM   #10
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: Q

Maybe if we do this, I should buy another copy of the books. Just for that reading. Or maybe I'll save my money and use the ones I've already read.
Old 09-08-2000, 11:19 PM   #11
Eruve

Re: Q

When's your birthday, Shan? Perhaps I'll send you a present!
Old 09-08-2000, 11:27 PM   #12
Gilthalion

At the rate we're going...

Many of you, even starting late, will catch the Mrs and me in our reading. We don't read every night, but when we do, we try to put a chapter or two behind us.

I start reading THE HOBBIT tomorrow at Barnes & Noble.

I wonder how many will show up. We've got a mention on the Arts page of the local paper, posters in the store, postcards out to a few of the clubs that meet in the store, word of mouth to the college English departments...

I'll announce it on the talkshow tomorrow and see if any of my audience cares for this sort of thing and I'll start a thread tomorrow to report how the first of the six readings went.

[c] DO NOT WISH ME WELL!!!!!!![/c]
You may express a desire that one of my limbs be broken or some other minor calamity, but do not say, "Good luck" or any other such pleasant variation on hopes for a good performance. Anything other than a variation on the familiar, "Break a leg!" is an invitation to catastrophe!

I BEG THE MODERATORS! Please edit any well wishes from this thread or you aid and abet the violation of the most sacred superstitions of performance art!
Old 09-09-2000, 01:29 PM   #13
anduin

Re: At the rate we're going...

Hehe....I work in theatre so I know all about superstitions. So break one of your furry little Hobbit feet! And fear not, I will watch this thread just in case!
Old 09-09-2000, 03:24 PM   #14
Shanamir Duntak

Eruve Not far from now.... November 6th

Gil[ I wish you to fall from the 13th stage of a burning building and to break your leg.

Is that ok?

Well, anyway, I'll sure watch the developpment in the thread you'll start
Old 09-13-2000, 01:48 AM   #15
arynetrek

ooh, theater superstitions! i'd wish you my personal one, but it's kind of a double entendre (sp?). but i guess it's a little too late, you already know what happened at the reading.

aryne *