Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Tinman
Enting

Entry to Moria

I was curious about Moria, and have been doing a bit of digging on it. I thought that that their were only two entries to the city... through the Hidden gate on the west site of the mountains, and then the east gate, only accessable by the bridge.

However, I think either im mistaken, or this isnt possible, since gollum managed to escape after the bridge was destroyed. I suppose it is possible that he left before the fellowship... but i think he would have stayed in particular close proximity to frodo, who he no doubt thought would not escape the mines alive.

Also, I was curious how the balrog. Was he there before durin? Unless im mistaken, Durin went into moria in the first age, though im not sure when, and I cant seem to find when the balrog went in. Is it possible the balrog entered after the dwarves were already established? If so... there surely is another entrance...
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

I don't know about the balrog but there were air/light shafts that Gollum could have climbed out of. These weren't entrances/exits per se, but they could have been used as such by Gollum.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

It seems likely that the Balrog simply hid deep within the Misty Mountains after the War of Wrath in the First Age. Near Moria, but not necessarily via Moria. At that point, the dwarves had been there a long time, since before the Sun and Moon. Fast forward to the middle of the Third Age when Dwarves dug deeper and further than they ever had before and uncovered the long-hidden Balrog.

I also think the the "two entrances" simply means two generally-known entrances. I'm sure the dwarves had many secret ones that may have been found by gollum or others.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Tinman
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post

I also think the the "two entrances" simply means two generally-known entrances. I'm sure the dwarves had many secret ones that may have been found by gollum or others.
Very true... if erebor is any indication, im sure their was probably at least one, if not multiple hidden doors.

If your theory is correct though, then the balrog got down there some how, and the dwarves tunneled into his "cave". Meaning that tunnel would connect to a have which presumably must have its own entrance that the balrog took.

I think though, that you may also be right on "two main entrances"... Perhaps they meant only two ways in which it could be assaulted from (and both of these were both fairly impenetrable).
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote