Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

JRRT on YouTube

Apologies if this has been done, but didn't show up on a search. I hadn't seen these before.

On Elves, Dwarves and Men

On writing the books (long)
- "The Shire is very like the world in which I first became aware of things"

Reciting the One Ring poem
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks, Gaffer! I've never seen these

*watches for a few minutes*

My goodness, no one speaks faster than a Brit!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #3
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Thank you, Gaffer.

That was really interesting. Elves and Men are Eruh*ni – Children of Eru, but Dwarves are specifically excluded from that designation: Aulë, not Eru, made them, and they remain separate from Elves and Men, apparently throughout Time.

Does anyone understand the gestures Tolkien is making with his hands when he partially covers his face during this interview? What is the psychological meaning of this? He looks exceedingly uncomfortable, covers his face with an “intellectual” gesture with his left hand, realizes he’s done it, stops it, and then involuntarily makes a similar but less obvious gesture, and catches himself again, all the time still looking very uncomfortable. It seems that he grimaces a bit, too, during this part of the conversation. What’s going on there, and why do you suppose he’s so uncomfortable?
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I get the feeling that JRRT has a bit of embarrassment about the success of the whole enterprise.

But what a boring voice!! Ye gods, if you could stay awake for 2 minutes in one of his philology lectures you'd be doing well.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
Alcuin
Salt Miner

He drew a packed crowd for his annual Beowulf recitation at Oxford.

What I’m curious about is the hand-over-the-mouth, hand and fingers over the mouth and three-quarters of the face gesture. He recognizes what he’s doing, stops, and then does a petit version of the same gesture.

There’s a whole study of “micro-expressions” and hand gestures in speech and movement. I don’t know how solid it is, but practitioners – policemen, psychiatrists and psychologists, politicians, lawyers, and other folk – believe in it. Tolkien’s delivery has several of these that I think I can identify, and I’m curious what it is that’s happening that made him want to conceal himself, or cover his mouth, or look as if he found some part of the experience bitter or unpleasant. Even if this conclusion is correct – and there is absolutely no professional judgment on my part to back it – we might still never know; and of course, I might simply be chasing a skunk: looks funny, smells funny, and if I get too close, I will, too.

(Skunks, by the way, are New World animals. I’ve always wondered if there are any records of the Europeans first encountering them…)

Last edited by Alcuin : 11-26-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
He drew a packed crowd for his annual Beowulf recitation at Oxford.
Insomniacs to a man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
What I’m curious about is the hand-over-the-mouth, hand and fingers over the mouth and three-quarters of the face gesture.
Lying, embarrassed or both.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
inked
Elf Lord

His recitation voice is quite different from his interview voice. I suspect his annual recitation was quite stirring. Hear here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fccfIJ...eature=related

As to the gestures, I think that you have an individual with a camera shoved into his face who cannot gesticulate as he seems wont to do, cannot handle his pipe nor smoke it as is his wont, and who is intensely private but faced with an aggressive interviewer who seems peremptory. Tolkien is a man given to thought before he utters the answer and the interviewer cannot seem to give him the space to do this! (Did the interviewer never hear of editing, one wonders?)

I do not think that Tolkien is lying in any fashion; embarrassed, yes. But mainly uncertain as to how manage his hands and his rapid-fire interlocutor who seems to be angling for some sort of expose along lines of his own choosing.

Your mileage may differ.

By the by, I have a DVD of BEOWULF done quite well by Benjamin Bagby that gives the bard voice quite well. Based on the Tolkien recitation of the Ents March found here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yPV63i...eature=related
I should say that his recitation and his lectures would not have allowed sleeping! The bard in Tolkien comes through quite well. The enunciation and declamation are wonderful.

Thanks, Gaffer, for directing to these. I have another reason for Thanksgiving!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 11-27-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: addenda
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I'm happy! I was finally able to take some time to listen to these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
His recitation voice is quite different from his interview voice. I suspect his annual recitation was quite stirring...
:
:
And don't fail to listen to his singing voice:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Wmxw...eature=related

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
inked
Elf Lord

Aye, an' a luv'ly rendition 'twere, too, Sir. 'Un of 'is oldest public verses!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote