Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #61
Galin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
According to this site, in Adûnaic man was narû: 'narû "man" (SD:434), Elvish stem NERE (WJ:393; though according to the Etymologies, the original stem was DER, with NÊR as a special Quenya form - see LR:354, 376). naru "man, male" (434, fully inflected in 437, that also gives an alternative form narû)'

See also that man and male was the same word, like in English.
I'm no expert in Adûnaic, but I note the gloss is lower case here. Also, the author of this list appears to be drawing a comparison to the Elvish stem *NERE referring to physical strength and valour, from which the word nér 'a male person, a man' was derived. There is another entry in this Adûnaic list:

Quote:
anâ 'homo, human being' (426, 434, fully inflected in 437); masculine anû 'a male, man', feminine anî 'a female' (434) (more technical words than naru, kali 'man, woman').
These examples roughly date to the mid 1940s IIRC.

Anyway I can't claim much about my Westron guess *kil, but I do note an Eldarin stem KHIL- back in Etymologies, with a general meaning 'follow', from which derives 'hildi followers = mortal men' and the word Tarkil is noted (*tara-khil) in the same entry. This same root is repeated in the later texts published in PE17, where it is also noted under Dúnadan: 'All Men were also called hildi 'followers' (KHIL- follow).'

This might enlighten the meaning of Westron *kil (that I guess could be a word in Westron anyway). In any case, generally speaking, words borrowed from another language need not carry the exact same meaning as the original tongue.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote