Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2002, 05:58 PM   #21
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Well...

You see, it wasn't that Melkor was not following the Theme perfectly. In fact, all it was was a theme, and the ainur were allowed to add thier own thoughts to it. That's how Illuvatar meant them to be. But Melkor abandoned it completely, and went off in a whole new direction. That's where he became evil.

You see, Melkor didn't just want to create new things. You can see that by comparing him to Aule.. Melkor wanted to dominate. He pursued Power rather than Art.

This was his failure.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:25 PM   #22
Ben
Retired Ent

From Inoldonil

Inoldonil claims he has login problems, and wanted me to post this for him:

Quote:
Quote:
Somewhere in the Sim they are described as having firey heads or something like that, and in FOTR the balrog is described as "dripping with fire" and the balrog that plays in the movie in my head has a tail.
I realized the tails were your imagination. I was just being witty. There's no quotes about fiery heads or 'dripping with fire' that I know of. All I know about the Balrog of Mória's body under the shadow and fire was that it was a dark and 'of man-shape maybe, yet greater'.
Ranadwelt:
Quote:
And Melkor, okay, admittedly he got all greedy and nasty and whatnot, but--and I don't remember this part in the Sil very well--was it just that he was trying to bring in some melodies of his own? Sure, he could've ASKED...or, you know, improvised in a better setting...or something...but if he was..oh, YARGH. Here I am getting into an argument with myself. Sorry. I'm just trying to make a point...
Ranadwelt: I used to wonder just how good Eru could be when all the Ainur and Valar sprung from His thought and represented different parts of His mind (and I say 'His' because I'm talking about Tolkien's Eru Ilúvatar of the Ainulindalë). I mean, Melkor came from that mind, didn't he? But the idea is that Melkor's evil began when he was searching throughout the Void for the Flame Imperishable, which was with Eru.
Ranadwelt: That's what Eru used to create things. During that time alone Melkor developed thoughts that didn't come from Eru (he was an independent being after all).
Ranadwelt: When you are alone, away, not joining in with the others, you will naturally get thoughts that are not in accord with the others. These thoughts unfortunately were not in accord with God. There weren't just different thoughts, they were discordant thoughts. So he came back and set his Discord against the Music.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 06:55 PM   #23
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Actually Melkor's orginal themes were good, the problem is that he thought they were from him alone (and not inspired by Eru) and therefore he wanted to be master. Just as Sauror orignally wanted to make dark forlorn middle easth nicer back in the second age but he became power hungry as many reformers do.

That's why Galadriel says that she'd start by setting things right-but it wouldn't end there...
Old 02-19-2002, 10:56 PM   #24
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Ah...comprehension dawns. Thankee very much...I said I didn't remember that part of Sil very well...
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 02:14 PM   #25
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

Quote:
I used to wonder just how good Eru could be when all the Ainur and Valar sprung from His thought and represented different parts of His mind (and I say 'His' because I'm talking about Tolkien's Eru Ilúvatar of the Ainulindalë). I mean, Melkor came from that mind, didn't he? But the idea is that Melkor's evil began when he was searching throughout the Void for the Flame Imperishable, which was with Eru.
Good or evil is in my opinion not something you are from the start but a choice. The Ainur sprang indeed from Iluvatar's mind, but since Melkor didn't start out as 'an evil or bad thought' you can't really say that Iluvatar is evil. (Allright nobody really said that, but you get my point)
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 04:43 PM   #26
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Er, ... I was explaining why the existance of Melkor does not mean that Eru is evil, so I think your point is moot (no pun intended). No offense.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:48 PM   #27
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

What? You're not a manichean anymore?
Old 02-24-2002, 06:03 PM   #28
Earniel

Gollum

Well, well, silly me....
Old 02-24-2002, 09:26 PM   #29
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

When was I a manichean? I had to look that one up in the dictionary but I'm none the wiser.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:33 PM   #30
TinuvielChild
Padawan

ok, i'm a newbie, and somewhere, i heard that balrogs are related to wizards? i just started reading the silmarillion two days ago, so.... someone help me please!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 10:02 PM   #31
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

They are, in a sense. They are members of the same high order (though the Balrogs had obviously Fallen).

The order is that of the Ainur, the Holy Ones, some of whom entered into the Universe after it was created. Of these last, there were the mighty among them, the Valar ("the Powers, the Authorities") and the Maiar their servants ("the Beautiful"). The Wizards are of the Maiar. So are the Balrogs, only they had been corrupted, being drawn to the diabolic Melkor (also called Morgoth), originally the greatest Ainu created by Eru, the One. The Balrogs are thus Maiar, or actually Raukar ("powerful, terrible, hostile creatures"=Demons) in the service of Melkor. The Wizards were Maiar in the service of the unfallen Valar. (Radagast the Brown served Yavanna Queen of the Earth, Gandalf served Manwe the Elder King and Varda the Exalted, Saruman served Aule the Smith).
Old 02-27-2002, 11:55 PM   #32
TinuvielChild
Padawan

thank you very much!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:59 PM   #33
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Thank you. I have so much in my head and I need to let it out.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:32 AM   #34
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I might be mistaken but :

If all the ainur that Iluvatar created were produced (and synonomous) with his mind, everything that was done by these spirits was only a means to an end; whatever evil deeds Melkor did, they were necessary for Iluvatar's plan, same for all other actions by these spirits.

Yes Melkor was (soon after being created) evil, but his "evilness" was necessary to balance out the overall "morallity" of Iluvatar's will, which is not to say that it's good or bad, but just is. Our interepretation of this morallity is purely subjective.

What I struggle with is this: If my first paragraph is true, what are the implications with Iluvatar's involvement in the destruction of Numenor? When the valar laid down their guardianship of Arda, they called upon Iluvatar to do the necessary. Hey? If the valar (and ofcourse all the other ainur) were his "will" in essence, how do we reconcile Iluvatar's "outside" (of the valars) interaction, and the valars independant actions?

Maybe I could have explained myself better, but I am in a bit of a hurry...
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:35 PM   #35
Earniel

Gollum

Maybe he had a bad day while thinking up Melkor...