Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Do you actually care about Tolkien's languages?

Personally I'm a language freak, so I naturally take a great interest in Tolkien's invented languages; but what do you think about it?
Do you just think "invented languages, fine, let's continue reading", or do you think like me, "interesting, I'll do some research on this now"?

Whenever I read a sentence in Quenya or whatever, I instantly want to know more about it, what it means, etc.
Am I alone about this, or do you also find invented languages very cool?
Peter_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Usually when I come across sentences in invented languages in fantasy books, I almost read straight over them. Pretty much "invented languages, fine, let's continue reading", like you said. They're often just fancy words with little to add to the story. Sometimes I have a bit of interest in seeing whether I can find out on which language it was based on.

Tolkien's languages are different. It seems that the fact that I know the languages are fully developed with care and aren't just a few fancy sounds thrown together, makes all the difference. I like being able to speak other languages, but I don't really enjoy learning them. So even my interest in Tolkien's languages is limited to what is said in the book and translations that might come in handy in RPG's and fan fiction.

To be honest alphabets like tengwar and angerthas are more likely to hold my interest longer.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Yeah, Tengwar rocks.
I've actually mastered the Quenya and Sindarin modes. XD

It's cool writing sentences with Tengwar letters for a change.
Personally I've invented an own version, because we never use "th", "kh" etc in Sweden.
I know there's an official Swedish version, but my own version is a little different and makes more sense: I've made it so the first series consists of t, d, nt and nd, because nt and nd are very common in Swedish.

Last edited by Peter_20 : 08-10-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_20
Personally I'm a language freak, so I naturally take a great interest in Tolkien's invented languages; but what do you think about it?
Do you just think "invented languages, fine, let's continue reading", or do you think like me, "interesting, I'll do some research on this now"?

Whenever I read a sentence in Quenya or whatever, I instantly want to know more about it, what it means, etc.
Am I alone about this, or do you also find invented languages very cool?
I'm also fascinated by languages and linguistics, so I'm quite keen on Tolkien's languages, and the fundamental role they play in Middle-earth.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I really like Tolkein's languages. I think Elvish is so beautiful. I really tried to learn Sindarin a few years ago. Unfortunately I am very bad at learning languages, and I decided that for the amount of work I was putting into it I should probably be learning a language that would come in more useful. So now I'm trying to learn Spanish and failing miserably, plus I'm not having nearly as much fun as I did trying to learn Elvish. I can write in Tengwar though, there's an excellent thread on it here on Entmoot. I really enjoy writing in Tengwar, and I still like to use some elven phrases at appropriate times.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_20
.....Do you just think "invented languages, fine, let's continue reading", or do you think like me, "interesting, I'll do some research on this now"?
I'm pretty much the "fine, let's continue reading" type. But knowing that Tolkien's stories were founded on the languages makes me have a greater appreciation for them. It would be interesting to study them but I also keep saying I need to re-learn my Latin, Hebrew and French too. Maybe someday.......
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan
I really like Tolkein's languages. I think Elvish is so beautiful. I really tried to learn Sindarin a few years ago. Unfortunately I am very bad at learning languages, and I decided that for the amount of work I was putting into it I should probably be learning a language that would come in more useful. So now I'm trying to learn Spanish and failing miserably, plus I'm not having nearly as much fun as I did trying to learn Elvish. I can write in Tengwar though, there's an excellent thread on it here on Entmoot. I really enjoy writing in Tengwar, and I still like to use some elven phrases at appropriate times.
I always start with learning basic words like "I", "you", "and", "but" etc. and the general grammar.
Knowing these things is very useful.

You should try learning Quenya, that language is extremely enjoyable.
Here are a few examples:

Hiruvalyë = hir-uva-lyë = find-shall-you = you shall find
Lambenya = lambë-nya = language-my = my language
Samberya = sambë-rya = room-her = her room
Rancoryat = ranco-rya-t = arm-her-two = her two arms
Omentielvo = omentië-lva-o = meeting-our-of = of our meeting

Anar caluva tielyanna! = Anar cal-uva tië-lya-nna =
Sun shine-shall path-your-upon = the Sun shall shine upon your path!

Pronomina and genitives are usually formed like that, with -lyë, -nya, -rya and so on.

Last edited by Peter_20 : 08-25-2007 at 09:47 AM.