Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-14-2002, 08:02 AM   #41
athelas
Enting

I don't like the idea of homeschooling. I can't stand teachers! ( okay...sometimes) If my mum was a teacher my life would be a living hell.

Where I live few people homeschool. But homeschooling has its advantages too. One does not have to wake up at 5.30am to get to school.(me!!! I have to use 2 alarm clocks!!! I sleep like a log.)
And no stupid school uniforms too. ( Where I live, everyone wears school unis, complete with the crests....I hate it, but I can live with it. I've done so for more than ten years, which is almost my entire life.)
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)

Last edited by athelas : 02-14-2002 at 08:04 AM.
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 09:57 AM   #42
spidersbane
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by fireworks19
No one smack me or any such, but I actually like grammar. I'm one of those annoying people who can't help but correct mistakes...

And really, it is useful. Makes you seem a lot smarter than you are...That's how I do it.
I agree completely! I have to have sometjing to make me look smart because math and all that junk is way hard for me. As for being home schooled, I was for 3 years, and I didn't like it. It is rather hard to have a social life, and I am a very social person. But I have seen some people that really enjoy it.
— Feanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
spidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:27 AM   #43
Griffin
Hobbit

I was HSed too!

I was homeschooled for 8 of 13 years of school (counting K as a year) and graduated a year early (thus I only had 12 years ). Let me tell you, when you get to college all the homework will look like more of what you've been doing and you'll be more able to deal with all that work that the public schooled people hate. So look on the bright side (which I will admit is very small) you'll be used to teachers giving you cr*p...
^Go to the RP Forum...

Last edited by Griffin : 02-15-2002 at 10:48 AM.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 12:21 PM   #44
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Thancs fer tha offir Ryan, bot I cen speel juet FINE thenk yeu!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 01:09 PM   #45
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I went to public school, and from age 14 I went to school full-time and held a full-time job. In junior and senior years I was on half-day release at school, which let me out at noon so I could go work. I never really enjoyed school til I found drugs, was such a loner and outcast it was a relief to actually get accepted by a group. What a wonderful lesson to teach a kid, huh?

Schools in the US are a total joke. No real teaching is done anymore for the most part, kids are taught to beat the system by studying for the required tests, and the entire "socialization" system has broken down to such a point that kids who are intelligent are dumped on by their peers, and "different" kids are hounded to the point of snapping every day of their school lives. No real safety exists, in most schools, and the concept of academic excellence is only a hollow motto.

Home schooling? I think you get limited by the intellectual capacity of the parent who is teaching, but to really look at it, one is also limited in "schools" by the limits of the teacher in the classroom. Heck, overall, homeschooled kids do better academically than public schooled kids, and the only drawnback anyone cites is the fact "they won't be able to socialize with their peers". Looking back on my own experience with "peers", I'd sacrifice the socialization for a little academic challenge. I was so bored with school, starting with second grade, that by the time I was in third grade I looked at the remainder of my twelve-year education as a prison sentence. I read better than most of the teachers I was supposed to be taught by, time and again was slapped down for being "too smart", and just had a truly horrible time in school. I despised every day. No wonder I was happy to get out of class and go to work.

Normal life is sooooooo much more rewarding!

As for Mum hammering you on what you have planned for school every day, why not try to set a time for school to start and to end, and agree not to discuss school subjects outside of that time.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 04:26 PM   #46
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Lol!

Tess, you really have to understand that even if your mom can be annoying, she's prolly better than 90% of full time teachers.

And hey, when you're home schooled, you can set your own schedule, and get stuff done fast. Especially if you work during the summer. I'm planning to do that this year and graduate early (I'm almost done with my 11'th grade stuff).

Imagine the possibilities! I can start working full time, go to college early, sleep until whenever, and best of all I can go to both the junior and senior prom this year!

Seriously, it's not that hard. Just boring. Can I interest you in some ROM's to pass the time between subjects? ]: )

Last edited by Wayfarer : 02-14-2002 at 04:41 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 10:02 PM   #47
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I go to a small private christian school. (No, it's not Catholic.) There's only one class for each grade, it's K-12, and there's about 360 students, to give you an idea about how small it is. We don't have to wear uniforms, but all the girls have to wear skirts or dresses that come @ least to the knee. School lasts from 7:55 to 3:05 for elementary (K - 6) and til 3:14 for high school (7 - 12). But despite all the disadvantages, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I've gone there since Kindergarten and can't imagine myself anywhere else. I like it a lot b/c it's a great atmosphere - it's small enough that you know everybody in the whole school, and we have Bible class and chapel every morning. Plus our school's SAT scores as a whole are way above the state average (I dunno about nat'l). It's just a really great little school.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 11:32 PM   #48
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
I go to a small private christian school.
Galadriel--I used to go to a school that sounds very, very similar to yours. Here is a small times line of my schooling.
  • K-4: Home Schooled. (K-3 w/ sisters, 4 alone.)
  • 5-6: Small Private Christian School.
  • 7-8: Public Middle School.
  • 9-10: Public High School.
  • 11-12: Probably Public still. (We will see.)
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 03:32 AM   #49
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Wow, so many home-schoolers! I wish I were home-schooled . . . but I'd probably drive myself and my family crazy.

Public schools aren't that bad. Most of the trouble comes from the kids, actually. I've gone to public schools all my life, and if you really want to you, you can get a heck of a lot out of it. I'm in all classes above my grade-level, including some extremely good AP classes, a musical group, a musical play orchestra, and a sport . . . and my school is neither rich nor particularly "smart." There's a lot of opportunity there, but a lot of kids don't make use of it.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 06:33 AM   #50
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I go to what is purportedly the largest JewishHigh Shool in North America (1200+ kids). It's a great school, but its kind of bubblelike.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:51 AM   #51
ryan
t2t relic

Number 1 reason to go to a regular school (not homeschool): You know how to spell stupid.
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 12:34 PM   #52
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Then I'm glad I'm not alone, emplynx.

Wow, markedel! What's it like there? Sounds huge!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 06:11 PM   #53
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*whacks ryan upside the head* harh! sea hew wall yur cen spall ahter THERT!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 06:42 PM   #54
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I learned how to write stupid in French. BETE!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 06:50 PM   #55
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

If I had cool fonts I could do it in hebrew