Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
melkormorgoth
Sapling

Help

This is the thing, I have recognized my main plot as the old classic bad emperor takes over and unlikely hero comes and defeats him. I have changed it up a bit making it seem like there is no emperor at all, but still it lacks originality because its that same basic plot, any ideas on how I might change it up more?

Tis a flesh wound!
melkormorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Make it so the unlikely hero and the bad emperor become unlikely friends, finding they have much in common, and rather than defeat him as he originally set out to do, the unlikely hero becomes the bad emperor's lieutenant and second-in-command, but has an interesting "conscience" effect on the bad emperor. So they are influenced by each other, not entirely either one way or the other. They share everything; they are each other's closest ally. Then they get in some kind of a fight which is personal, (maybe over a woman they both fancy?) and the bad emperor kills his new best friend without meaning to, it was a moment of rage and his sword slipped or whatever, and then he is overcome with incredible sorrow and guilt and depression about it so that he casts himself off a cliff, or falls on his own sword or something, thereby offing himself, too. They both die. Then the people rally together and set up a democracy, and the old days of empire come to an end.

By the way, welcome to Entmoot, Melkormorgoth! I do love your name. Fantastic name.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-25-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
melkormorgoth
Sapling

Well the hero can't die, I have his whole history set out, even his descendants! But nevetheless it is a bit more original, thanks for the suggestion though!

Tis a flesh wound!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkormorgoth
Well the hero can't die, I have his whole history set out, even his descendants! But nevetheless it is a bit more original, thanks for the suggestion though!
The hero could nearly die like fall off a cliff but narrowly survive,then a stranger helps him. After a few months he finds out that the empror killed himself and he is terribly grieved.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
melkormorgoth
Sapling

I think need to give a bit background

Tlinvor Arct Slienf(hero- slave from birth to 15, then somehow escaped from the north to the south, finds eventually he is the Eletavie, fights various peoples to find the head of them, in the process loses Carrie his love. He also finds other Eletavie, one of them being the true heir and leader of the underground resistance group. After Carrie's death Tlinvor temporarily goes insane, then soon after continues his quest and while he is foighting the ultimate bad guy, the heir to the throne fights a battle.

That is a very basic and quick summary of the first chronicle.

Tis a flesh wound!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
melkormorgoth
Sapling

Also this story takes place over 6 years, five of those years being Tlinvor training.

Tis a flesh wound!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Well, I think you should add in more characters. The more characters you have, the more complex the plot is. Don't feel bad about your plot. Aristotle said, back in his time, that there were no new plots! So what makes your story different is what you do with the plot. Throw in a suprise or two.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #8
melkormorgoth
Sapling

Good character count:13; Bad character count: 12; Neutral character count: 5

Tis a flesh wound!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

That's good, as long as you can keep track of them all.
Seriously, though, you should be able to use all of those characters to weave a complex plot. Every single one of them has a motivation and goal, and those goals don't always mix well. In fact, a good character's ambition or other goals can actually become a huge asset to the evil characters, which makes it interesting. The best laid plans of mice and men...
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:46 PM   #10
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

This is something I need help with. But I don't want to ruin MY plot for anyone! Oh well.
I was going to have some sort of...eh...conspiracy behind ZAQ-1, having nothing to do with it's actual existence, but everything to do with exactly that. I don't know how to put it...
Let's just say that there will be an unlikely blend of space Nazis, Martians, wholeheartedly-agreeing-with-everything collectivists, and starship captains with dumb names.