Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2002, 08:19 AM   #1
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Elrond's Eye?

When the Fellowship is planning the leaving from Rivendell, Elrond tells, that "everything behind Misty Mountains is under shadow, and there I can't see" or something like that.
So does he have a same kind of ability to far-seeing as Sauron, but Sauron's shadow prevents his normal watching? What do you think?
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 10:48 AM   #2
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I don't believe that either of them had literally "eyes" that they could see into the distance with. I think that they could "see" as Galadriel could "see" in her mirror. The darkness of Sauron surely did block his viewing into the south.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

not sure, but I think he was speaking metaphorically...as one of the chief foes of Sauron since the Last Alliance he surely has developed systems of contacts, spies, etc. that Sauron's growing presence has begun to compromise.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 02:27 PM   #4
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

I'm sure that Elrond had some second sight, (as did Gandalf), possibly as the result of his Ring.

Re: Sauron, don't forget that he had a palantir, so he literally could see a lot of things, near and far, but with limitations. For instance, I just read today in "Unfinished Tales," that because he was not a legitimate user of the palantir, he couldn't use it to it's fullest potential. Aragorn could, however, as Isildur's heir. This is why he was able to look into the stone and wrest control from Sauron.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 02:27 PM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

All of the Eldar had a type of mental forsight of being able to see or feel things. This ability allowed them to see into the near future, or into thier own near futures. Just like in the movie too, where Legolas says " something draws near. I can feel it." Perhaps this remark from Elrond is atributed to these abilities.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 02:45 PM   #6
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Could this be an ability that inspired "jedi reflexes" in the other trilogy?

Though Prof Tolkien does make it clear of course that LOTR is a 3 volume epic and not a trilogy...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:22 PM   #7
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Tolkien wanted to produce LOTR as one volume - but the publisher supposedly insisted on breaking it up into 3 volumes. I guess they felt that three volumes were less intimidating than one huge book.

As for Elrond's comment - I think it was a combination of things. For one thing - he knew everything that was going on immediately outside of Rivendell and could control things such as the Bruinen. He was also able to communicate directly with Galadriel I believe - although I can't remember for sure and I don't have my books in front of me to look it up.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 08:59 PM   #8
Neithan
Sapling

Elronds sight!

I dont think that Elrond meant that he actually could see to the misty mountains. I think he was talking about the range his "scouts" or "spies",if you will, could or would operate whitin.
I think he reguarded his scouts/spies as his eyes in some way.
Very much like millitary leaders do.
Even Elronds "millitary career" was a closed chapter.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:39 PM   #9
Thrain of the Shire
Hobbit

Strider I'm with Neithan...

on this one...

I am quite sure that Elrond had an inner vision, perhaps of light and shadow, not of specific bodies and individuals but of feelings and health of the land -- how else could elves ensure the good nature of their lands?

I think Elronds vision could see in a feeling, sensing way, the world, but that the evil of Sauron was so dark as to block even that pure vision.....
Thrain of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 10:23 PM   #10
Uinen
Sapling

I'm with you Thrain - I always interpreted that to mean his inner vision or some sort of intuitive connection with the energies of middle earth.
Since that would be connected with energy flow, perhaps in darkness (Sauron's evil) that energy is blocked and so impedes his ability to "sense" what lies there.

Sister Golden Hair: I agree that the elves are always portrayed to have some intuition about future events which in my understanding connects with the whole energy idea.

However, it just as easily could be a reference to his scouts... but I much prefer the idea of energy and how the elves have a deeper connection and understanding of it.

*will stop babbling now!*
Old 02-01-2002, 08:43 PM   #11
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

I think it was just common knowledge
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote