Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2002, 05:17 PM   #21
Neithan
Sapling

We`ve got to remember that Tolkien tried to write the mytoligy/saga that Britain was missing. So when he wrote he,tried to make it compatible with the bible. So I think it`s quite safe the say that Illuvatar is the same as God in the bible. I think the difference between Silma. and the bible,is pretty much the same as the difference between the bible and the coran. They all are just variasions on the same story and the same God.

I hope I`m not upseting anyone now.

Last edited by Neithan : 01-30-2002 at 05:19 PM.
Neithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 05:41 PM   #22
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Oh, Neithan...

Upset? Why, no, of course not, you $%^#@!! LOL

Seriously, there is one HUGE difference between God, as portrayed by the Bible as opposed to the Koran.The Koran states that Allah, is NOT the Father of Jesus, and does not forgive sin because of the Crucifixion. The Bible says that God (Yahweh, Jehovah) is the Father of the Messiah Jesus (His ONLY begotten Son), the sinless "God-and-man," who was sent to take the punishment for the sins of all who accept Him. The Koran does not say this.

In a nutshell, Allah accepts man's good works for entry into Heaven, Jehovah does not. That alone says that they are not two versions of the same story, or the same God.

P.S.--Before anyone gets mad at me, I didn't make this up--I'm just reporting on what has already been written. Yell at God.

Last edited by ragamuffin92 : 01-30-2002 at 05:44 PM.
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 01:36 PM   #23
Gandalf
Hobbit

Don't get me started on a religious discussions ... us satanists tend to be quite knowledgeable on that subject
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 02:11 PM   #24
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

It seems odd to me that a satanist would embrace "The Lord of the Rings," which, in Tolkien's own words, "...is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work."(see The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien,letter # 142)-- (FYI--I'm not Catholic, so I am not promoting that particular denomination.)

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Old 01-31-2002, 02:27 PM   #25
Gandalf
Hobbit

Saying that expresses your ignorance on the subject of Satanism. Most Satanists are -- unlike what you may think -- fond of good writing and poetry .
Old 01-31-2002, 02:54 PM   #26
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

I am not completely ignorant of satanism--I know that some branches are involved in hedonism ("Do what thou wilt" enjoyment of the pleasures of life), others in actual ritualistic satan worship.
What I was referring was not satanists' literary tastes, but the fact that Satan himself is diametrically opposed to Judeo-Christian morality, which was Professor Tolkien's ultimate point of view (and this, he stated himself, it's not my opinion). Now, if you tell me that THAT statement isn't true, then I'm not the only ignorant one involved in this conversation.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:24 PM   #27
Gandalf
Hobbit

Satanists don't believe in a deity called Satan. Christians acknowledge the existance of this being of so called "pure evil" (I suppose you could compare the christian Satan with Melkor; a fallen angel).

But yes, Satanism is quite closely related to Hedonism (eventhough not all of us are sex crazed drinking poets :P), but I don't consider myself 100%, I'm (this is gonna sound odd to some people) 50% Satanist and 50% Wiccan, both have really interesting philosofies, but they're even nicer when they're put together.

As for Judeo (or any other christian tradition) morality: I don't believe there is such a thing. Unless you call hypocrisy morality ... but that's a very long, tiresome discussion (and of course I'm not talking about all christians, I dislike to generalize, I'm talking about the Churches as institutions).
As for Christianity itself: it's a utopia (which still does mean "nowhere land"), it's impossible to be a 100% true christian. It's impossible for anyone to love everyone.

- Bram
Old 01-31-2002, 03:50 PM   #28
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Oh, Gandalf...

I appreciate your answer, and I admit my ignorance about a lot of things, but not EVERYTHING.

Concerning hypocrisy and being a perfect Christian: If a person says "I'm going to Heaven because I don't sin, and you're going to hell because you do, nyah, nyah, nyah nyah nyaaaaaah, nyah...", either that person IS a hypocrite or just plain STUPID!! We know that we are NOT perfect, and that's why we need a Savior. (Sometimes I forget that and become self-righteous, but not for long, hopefully. ) Many churches (and/or denominations) have strayed from that philosophy. My nickname "ragamuffin" comes from a book, "The Ragamuffin Gospel," which says that nobody, whether a preacher, poet, prostitute, Pope, pimp, or politician, or even PIPPIN is entitled to look down on anyone else--we're all in the same boat in this life.
Talking about love, Tolkien's buddy C.S. Lewis wrote a book (The Perfect Love, I think?) where he said that human beings are not able to love anyone with COMPLETE unselfishness.
Anyway, thanks for your honest answer, and I don't want to take up a lot of Mootspace with "a very long, tiresome discussion," like you said, but feel free to PM me, if you'd like.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:08 PM   #29
Neithan
Sapling

This thread is no fun no more.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:23 PM   #30
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for your honest answer, and I don't want to take up a lot of Mootspace with "a very long, tiresome discussion," like you said, but feel free to PM me, if you'd like.
Wonderful, it makes my job all the more easier. I'm actually amazed the two of you didn't get into a religious battle. All the same this is a topic about Maiar.